Amara Darboh

And if you read all of my posts in this thread, you'll see that I've not once suggested otherwise. But their name still has a lot of pull with the "elite" recruits. To deny that much is plain foolish, because the results (recruiting-wise) speak for themselves.

You definition of elite must have nothing to do with on-field production and everything to do with ratings from people who have never seen in person any of the recruits they rate. In other words, you can't now, nor will you ever be able to THINK FOR YOURSELF. You have to be spoon fed information from people who cannot make a living as a professional football coach. So because these 22yr old website gurus have played 18 million hours of NCAA Football on their X-Box they know who is elite and who isn't? Anyone who gets a Notre Dame offer automatically gets 4 stars from these woman-less wonders, even if Notre Dame strings together 20 losing seasons in a row. Chad, if you have children it will be a crime against nature and I will have to kill you to protect mankind's future.

Notre Dame = 1-2
Iowa = 2-1

I will take Iowa's crap recruits over Notre Dame's elite recruits any day. GAWD I hate people who swallow everything the (sports) media spoon feeds them because developing critical thinking skills requires they give up their naturally lazy ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen him play, . . . well not really. I'm just kind of loser who likes to make up stuff when I'm bored and spout off about how little I care cuz that's how I show everyone how cool I am. Of course if I really didn't care I wouldn't have posted.

I saw Darboh at the Iowa-Pitt game for what it's worth. Plus Soup Campbell has really upgraded our wideouts...arguably the best Iowa has had across the board right now.

No, I've seen him play and I think he is good. And like I said if he wants to go to Iowa that is great, if he doesn't I could care less. This is me trying to sound cool I guess.

You definition of elite must have nothing to do with on-field production and everything to do with ratings from people who have never seen in person any of the recruits they rate. In other words, you can't now, nor will you ever be able to THINK FOR YOURSELF. You have to be spoon fed information from people who cannot make a living as a professional football coach. So because these 22yr old website gurus have played 18 million hours of NCAA Football on their X-Box they know who is elite and who isn't? Anyone who gets a Notre Dame offer automatically gets 4 stars from these woman-less wonders, even if Notre Dame strings together 20 losing seasons in a row. Chad, if you have children it will be a crime against nature and I will have to kill you to protect mankind's future.

Notre Dame = 1-2
Iowa = 2-1

I will take Iowa's crap recruits over Notre Dame's elite recruits any day. GAWD I hate people who swallow everything the (sports) media spoon feeds them because developing critical thinking skills requires they give up their naturally lazy ways.

What do you think "elite" recruits means (consider the quotation marks, a**hole)? I know that there is no way to know how a player will perform at the college level. But the headline skill position players are far more likely to go to Notre Dame than they are to go to Iowa.

Does that mean they'll pan out? Of course not. But it's not like every unknown recruit that we bring in has wild success, either.

It's a crapshoot, and it always will be. But the majority of those top recruits have a tremendous amount of talent, and it's other things that keep them from succeeding in college.

Notre Dame = 1-2
Iowa = 2-1

Wow, someone got their internet panties in a bunch.

I saw Darboh at the Iowa-Pitt game for what it's worth. Plus Soup Campbell has really upgraded our wideouts...arguably the best Iowa has had across the board right now.

A lot of positives about Iowa.

- A WR coach who is recognized as one of the bests in the biz

- The results from the best of the biz's coaching are on full display with the performances by McNutt, Davis, and Tin-man.

- Terrific proximity to home (easier for family to see him)

- Great NFL connections ... and that is without sacrificing academic aspirations

- Great coaching continuity

- A NFL-friendly system

- A really close-knit football "family"

- A great passing QB waiting in the wings in Rudock ... and a great passing QB in Vandenberg who is already mentoring him.

Darboh could vie for Marvin McNutt's spot next year immediately out of high school.
That might be enticing to him.

And if you read all of my posts in this thread, you'll see that I've not once suggested otherwise. But their name still has a lot of pull with the "elite" recruits. To deny that much is plain foolish, because the results (recruiting-wise) speak for themselves.

so Darboh sucks and Gimbel from Mtown is the next Chuck Long???. wowwwwwww

Notre Dame = 1-2
Iowa = 2-1

images

You guys always miss the point of the "star" system. The stars gauge how fast someone has the POSSIBILITY of contributing. Just because a guy is a 2 star doesn't mean he won't be a freak, it just says the probability of him coming in and dominating as a freshman or sophomore aren't that good. Here is something I found about %'s of Rivals recruits.

"SSC looked at the Rivals.com rankings from 2002 and 2003 and compared them to the all-conference teams for the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, and SEC from 2002-2007. (The Big East was excluded because some of the current members were not members of a BCS conference in 2002 or 2003.) They found the following probabilities of a prospect with a particular star rating being named all-conference at some point in his career...
5-stars 33.8%
4-stars 20.0%
3-stars 11.6%
2-stars 7.2%
In other words, despite the existence of "can't miss" prospects who miss badly, in general more stars are better. A 5-star recruit is almost 70% more likely to be named all-conference than a 4-star and makes all-conference at nearly triple the rate of 3-star prospects."

I would take 25 5* players every year if I could. I know many people would scoff at this, but if you look at the few 4 and 5* stars Iowa has gotten compared to the number of 2 and 3*, the percentage of the 4 and 5* in the NFL is much much higher than those 2 and 3s that make it.

You guys always miss the point of the "star" system. The stars gauge how fast someone has the POSSIBILITY of contributing. Just because a guy is a 2 star doesn't mean he won't be a freak, it just says the probability of him coming in and dominating as a freshman or sophomore aren't that good. Here is something I found about %'s of Rivals recruits.

"SSC looked at the Rivals.com rankings from 2002 and 2003 and compared them to the all-conference teams for the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, and SEC from 2002-2007. (The Big East was excluded because some of the current members were not members of a BCS conference in 2002 or 2003.) They found the following probabilities of a prospect with a particular star rating being named all-conference at some point in his career...
5-stars 33.8%
4-stars 20.0%
3-stars 11.6%
2-stars 7.2%
In other words, despite the existence of "can't miss" prospects who miss badly, in general more stars are better. A 5-star recruit is almost 70% more likely to be named all-conference than a 4-star and makes all-conference at nearly triple the rate of 3-star prospects."

Yes, and similar results have been found in percentages of star recruits and their probability of playing in the NFL. Obviously, Iowa is one of the top handful of schools at exceeding their recruiting rankings but, that shouldn't be taken as evidence that rankings are irrelevant just that Iowa develops and/or selects lightly recruited players that turn out to be better players than most schools with similar recruiting outcomes. So, rankings do matter but, the most important variable is what happens to the recruit once they get onto campus. If Iowa was able to recruit like USC they'd win more ball games, if Miami-Fla was able to develop players like Iowa they would too.

Word on the street in Dowling circles is seperated shoulder and likely no action until playoffs.

Word on the street in Dowling circles is seperated shoulder and likely no action until playoffs.

Feel bad for the kid, but this could work in Iowa's favor. Teams like Florida, Michigan, and Notre Dame all have other elite WR recruits who aren't hurt that they can go after. Whereas Iowa has a history of sticking by their offers when a recruit gets hurt.

Latest posts