@Alabama and lose a home game?

HawkeyeGunner

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/how-about-an-iowa-alabama-game-in-15-20140529

I would really like us to think about going to Tuscaloosa and then having them come here. North Texas would be a good game because of Mac but I would really like us to have us lose the cupcake that Hayden always wanted on the schedule and Kirk has decided to keep and play a team that will make the recruits stand up and take notice. Yeah Ntex could to an App State to us in 2015 but the willingness to play a perennial top 10 team has got to be a major draw for the recruits. What do you all think?

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/how-about-an-iowa-alabama-game-in-15-20140529

I would really like us to think about going to Tuscaloosa and then having them come here. North Texas would be a good game because of Mac but I would really like us to have us lose the cupcake that Hayden always wanted on the schedule and Kirk has decided to keep and play a team that will make the recruits stand up and take notice. Yeah Ntex could to an App State to us in 2015 but the willingness to play a perennial top 10 team has got to be a major draw for the recruits. What do you all think?

North Texas. We are starting to recruit in Texas - more benefits playing them than Alabama.

I'd rather play an SEC team in a bowl game - like our chances better in that circumstance. Recruits will take notice of that on a larger scale.

When was the last time Iowa had a solid team in September? I don't think Kirk wants to be embarrassed, otherwise we'd have seen better games by now. I do think that having at least one ranked opponent on our schedule wouldn't hurt this year, win or lose.

I am always interested in statements correlating various factors to recruiting. One would think there is a correlation between playing a blue blood program like Alabama but is there really any data to quantify or prove this theory to be true? Are elite recruits really going to look our way because we played Alabama one time?

Certainly cannot hurt and who would not want to see us play them but a bump in recruiting because of a single or a few match-ups I am not certain?

I would think being a winning program with top 20 finishes, playing in numerous big games on big stages and winning some of those match ups, enhancing the players pro-potential, campus location, conference rep and coaching staff would all be factors that play into recruiting.

I remember in the early 90's we played the U of Miami when they were pretty salty but I do not recall numerous elite players taking notice and committing to us?

There is absolutely no advantage in playing a road game at Alabama. I see a lot of disadvantages:

1. You give up a home game.
2. You risk injuries against an elite team before the conference starts.
3. Realistically, you risk a blowout on national television. How does that help recruiting?

Play the SEC in bowl games (on a neutral field where perhaps Iowa has the majority of the fans in the stands). That is the correct strategy.

IDK I remember watching Michigan get destroyed by Alb. in the first game of the year two years ago. UGLY. Doudt it helped them vey much.

There is absolutely no advantage in playing a road game at Alabama. I see a lot of disadvantages:

1. You give up a home game.
2. You risk injuries against an elite team before the conference starts.
3. Realistically, you risk a blowout on national television. How does that help recruiting?

Play the SEC in bowl games (on a neutral field where perhaps Iowa has the majority of the fans in the stands). That is the correct strategy.

I tend to agree. A game @Bama = loss, most likely in embarrassing fashion, and Iowa probably doesn't have much chance at winning this game in Kinnick, either, unless our program is in one of those peaks (2002-04, 2008-10).

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see our non-conference schedule upgraded somewhat, but a series with Alabama is a bit more than I have in mind.

Plus a bowl game with an SEC opponent is likely a far more even match up since it's mostly based on how the season played out. Sorry, but I don't see Iowa hanging with Alabama, regardless of where the game is played.

Iowa would play Alabama a heck of a lot tougher than Michigan did. Now I'm not saying Iowa would win because that's a pretty ludicrous statement to make, but I do think a typical Hawkeye team (strong up front on both sides of the ball) could keep it competitive. Alabama dominates teams that are inferior up front. That's not usually the case with Iowa.

It's impossible to predict this far in advance because we have no idea what either team would look like. I'm just speaking in generalities. The Michigan team Alabama smoked a couple years ago was not the traditional Michigan teams of old. I don't think it's fair to assume Bama would manhandle the Hawks. Look what Oklahoma just did to them in their bowl game last year... I think we'd see a game much like Iowa vs MSU. A defensive battle that comes down to which offense can figure out a way to exploit the opponent's defense. With the talent Bama has on offense I would fully expect them to break a couple big plays. Catching Iowa early in the year would definitely be an additional advantage for Bama.

If we did have a game against 'Bama, maybe Pierschbacher would have an unfortunate accident while we played them.......:eek:

Stupid article.

Let's rearrange our schedule, have Bama rearrange it's schedule, give up a home game, take tourism out of eastern Iowa, and hopefully get a return visit from Bama. The article said we could "make Bama pay through the nose to go to Tuscaloosa (which I'm sure they'd be more than willing to do-read with heavy sarcasm); just to turn around an pay N.Texas to move the already scheduled game.

And for what!? So we could MAYBE get a high profile recruit? I don't buy that arguement, and don't believe it would work. And as someone mentioned... We've started recruiting Texas, and likely a reason we scheduled N.Texas.

The article said it had a less than 0% chance of happening (which is too high of a %, IMO); so why write the article?

Stupid article.

Stupid article.

Let's rearrange our schedule, have Bama rearrange it's schedule, give up a home game, take tourism out of eastern Iowa, and hopefully get a return visit from Bama. The article said we could "make Bama pay through the nose to go to Tuscaloosa (which I'm sure they'd be more than willing to do-read with heavy sarcasm); just to turn around an pay N.Texas to move the already scheduled game.

And for what!? So we could MAYBE get a high profile recruit? I don't buy that arguement, and don't believe it would work. And as someone mentioned... We've started recruiting Texas, and likely a reason we scheduled N.Texas.

The article said it had a less than 0% chance of happening (which is too high of a %, IMO); so why write the article?

Stupid article.

Eda, you're taking it far to seriously.

I would not want to play Bama. I am so happy OU kicked their butt in the post season last year. Keep the SEC out of big 10 country. If you play SEC teams play the bottom teams like a Kentucky or somthings.

Latest posts