AJ Derby leaves Iowa

Your an idiot. Why would you want to regress when you can progress?

Good thing we didn't use him in a wildcat package like everyone in the world suggested.... It's not like it works and the NFL doesn't use it, nor did okalohomas wildcat package look good. Kid should've committed to flordia which is sad.

He wasn't the answer at QB, but our coaches failure to see his talents as a goaline package/wildcat QB zone read is sad. He could've run a 8 play playbook til his senior year as a part time QB and been happy. It's sad that 80% of other coaches would've loved to have this package and used it, 8 year olds are crying for this package to be used. Wish him well and nothing but the best.
We are Iowa. We do not use crazy outlandish formations like that.

That would be odd as KF was quoted as saying AJ approached him on the subject.

This quote was shortly after the announced move.

That's 100% a lie. Another poster already posted a link proving that. A.J himself said as much in the article.

He was never considered a qb by anyone with a brain. Everyone knew it, including the Iowa coaches, they made sure he came here by promising a chance, which he got and failed.

He was a very special athlete who could have went pretty much anywhere to play defense. If it wasn't for that ability he wouldn't be a div 1 player for anyone. He's simply not a qb. I've never seen anybody who's an expert on evaluating talent talk about him as a qb, just an athlete.

I hope for his sake this isn't about playing qb, because if it is he took a lot of God given talent and flushed it down the toilet.

This is disturbing on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. Here is my problem, I get that kids leave school, but we have good players and starters leaving, that is a big problem. This is just amazing.

A trend is developing, and I don't like it. This BS is 100% on Kirk. So Derby wasn't going to be a QB. He was a gifted athlete. He needed to be on the field SOMEWHERE. Other schools do it. But no...not Kirk. Instead of using Derby's talent, he makes him a linebacker...but then doesn't play him.

Brilliant.

Cue the "Kirk does no wrong" crowd in 3...2...1...

When is Ferentz going to have to own up and give an explanation for all that is going on? This program is heading in the wrong direction very quickly and I have had about enough of these "no comment" responses. When you are the head coach of a public university receiving tons of money from donors and fans, how is he not questioned more about all these big name players leaving? And why are they all leaving?

This one I could see coming months ago. Kid kept sliding down the depth chart and switching positions. I think a transfer is his best option.
I wish him well.

Well what hawk83 said is just plain stupid. He saw special teams duty as soon as he made the switch. How much PT did you expect from a guy who changed potion mid season.

A trend is developing, and I don't like it. This BS is 100% on Kirk. So Derby wasn't going to be a QB. He was a gifted athlete. He needed to be on the field SOMEWHERE. Other schools do it. But no...not Kirk. Instead of using Derby's talent, he makes him a linebacker...but then doesn't play him.

Brilliant.

Well you can go ahead and label me part of the "Kirk does no wrong" crowd all you want, but you are making no sense 83. The entire roster is full of "gifted athletes"...Derby was a RS Fr who switched positions (and went from O to D, no less!) and you are clamoring to get him on the field? Makes no sense...

A few thoughts here. The Derby's switched high schools in Iowa City to gain more
exposure from Division I schools and it proved to be a decision that worked for him.
He wants to play QB and it isn't going to happen at Iowa. The clock is ticking on
AJ's college career. It wasn't a given that a LB position was going to come easy
for him. I wish him well and I think the extra scholly will be a help to the Hawks.

wanted to play QB...and it ain't gonna happen...so he cries...and takes his ball and goes home...typical of his generation...it's all about "me" ..and a "team 1st" mentality simply does not exist...and the sad part is, this comes from a kid of a former Hawkeye, and his daddy let him do it..........sad...sad...sad....

p.s. apparently he doesn't understand the whole concept of "once a hawk, always a hawk"...

I wonder if you can see the irony in your post.

Also a member of your generation is whining because a college football player doesn't want to play for his favorite team.

Last edited:
I say good luck to AJ. He seems committed to playing quarterback during his college career. You can't fault him for wanting to try a different setting where he might get that opportunity. I think he understood that he was not going to ever be the starting quarterback at Iowa.

I don't think any of this falls on the coaches. In fact, I think the coaches tried hard to let AJ show he can be a Big 10 quarterback ... But it didn't work out like either party had hoped. So, AJ decides to move. Good for him. I was not upset by it at all. It is not up to me or any of us to judge AJ's actions in this case. He only gets one chance to play college football so hopefully he will find the right fit for him.

A trend indeed open up your eyes and see the number of transfer that continue to increase it seems all over the country. He didn't want to play LB, fine tell the coaches you want to stay at QB and work your *** off to prove you can play there. Or trust the coaches and play LB get better learn the position and help the F'ing team win. Its that simple. If he truly felt he couldn't do what the coaches asked of him or wanted to play QB at a FCS school so be it.

People act like he was the second coming with 1 tackle on ST. Don't get me wrong I think the kid has talent but if he didn't want to stick it out so be it. Only time will tell if things work out on his end and by him leaving it opens up a spot for someone that wants to wear the black/gold and help the team win.

The only reason why people are making a big stink about this is due to Coker's situation, McCall's and the fact hes a home town boy and his dad played here.

Brilliant.

Well what hawk83 said is just plain stupid. He saw special teams duty as soon as he made the switch. How much PT did you expect from a guy who changed potion mid season.

No kidding. What coach is going to switch a kid to a completely different (and challenging) position mid-season and play him right away? :confused::confused::confused: Even Zook isn't that dumb.

Not one of the smarter posts seen in these parts.

Brilliant.

Take the blinders off sir ; your post is lacking !

Its one thing to lose a player but to lose a legacy recruit who grew up in Iowa City and whos bro also plays for the Hawks is just mind boggling.

Listen, AJ made a really bad decision to come to Iowa. He listened to his heart, when he should have looked at it more rationally. There was NO WAY Iowa was going to change their scheme to one where AJ could be fully effective as a signal caller. It would have been like trying to fit Tebow into The Hoodie's system.

At a minimum, he needs to go somewhere where there are just more offensive reps. Iowa's system just runs far less offensive plays than other teams. There just isn't much room for special packages and such to take advantage of a player with AJ's abilities.

Just not a good fit.

Well you can go ahead and label me part of the "Kirk does no wrong" crowd all you want, but you are making no sense 83. The entire roster is full of "gifted athletes"...Derby was a RS Fr who switched positions (and went from O to D, no less!) and you are clamoring to get him on the field? Makes no sense...

No, Iowa's roster is most definitely NOT full of "gifted athletes".

You can't tell me there wasn't some way Derby couldn't be put on the field. Maybe as a wildcat...or somewhere in the backfield. Give him the ball on third and short with an option to run/pass (instead of the slow off tackle run that rarely worked). Something...ANYTHING to take advantage of the skills he has.

At the very least, having Derby in the backfield somewhere would give the opposing defense pause to think, instead of knowing exactly what Iowa is going to do.

But no.....I guess you can't do things like that at Iowa because it is "too risky".

Funny how other schools manage to get their better athletes on the field (other than special teams). But I guess "that's just football".

The other defections are hard to judge since we do not know the whole story, nor do we here. But from a distance this looks like KF was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Even though it was not the best choice for AJ it was obvious he had his heart set on being a QB. He might have been one of the all time great linebackers but if your heart is not into it then you cannot force it. They could have used that scholarship on another position, running back perhaps?

What is going on in Iowa City? Why are we losing our players. It was a shock that we lost our best runner. Now another has gone. Where is the loyalty? Is there something about the way things are being run there that is causing this. Makes one wonder.

Latest posts