AJ Derby leaves Iowa

We will just go with that is a very dumb thing to say....

Yes, and no. I think it's fair to say Derby is overrated specifically as a QB talent. He had noticeable accuracy issues in HS and I am guessing that Iowa coaches were seeing that as part of basis of the decision to move him to another position. I think he's overrated as a 4 star talent, but I hate the whole star rating thing to begin with.

So, at face value, on it's own, it's not a fair assessment to say he "wasn't that good", probably arguably a sour grapes point of view in most cases.

But I think there is definitely merit to the argument that he's overrated as a QB prospect. I just don't see many kids ever really get over the accuracy issues. If he can...I think he can be a decent college QB, but still think he's overrated there. We will see.

I guess we'll never know, will we? Seems to me it would make sense to give him a shot when the Hawks are up big against one of the non-conference patsies. But no....can't risk it.

Yep, let's continue to play it safe and hope the other team screws up.

He is a redshirt FRESHMAN. This isn't De'anthony Thomas we are talking about. Not many players, let alone QBs, play that young. The staff had a year and a half to evaluate his talents. They thought he was better served on the defensive side of the ball and he didn't want to be there. Enough said.

I heard today from a friend of the family that his grades are keeping him out of Iowa for a year. Instead of being academically suspended he will go to JUCO for a year and then transfer back to Iowa.

And that school is Coffeyville Junior College in Kansas. To lazy to see if this was already posted.
(I see it already was!)

Last edited:

Latest posts