Aaron White!

rebounding is improving. last night ISU came into the game as a top 10 rebounding team avg'ing 45 rpg and Iowa out rebounded them by 1, 32-31, as for Marble playing defense he held ISU's leading scorer scoreless on 0-5 shooting, that hurt Marbles scoring but it did answer the question about Marbles ability to play defense.

So Fran should have known to start 3 freshmen?
Or he should have started JO?
Or how about Eric May?

If this was a multiple choice test, there would be no easy answers.

The reality is the options were/are thin at the 2/3 spots.

I'll go the other direction and give Fran a ton of credit to risk moving the freshmen to the starting lineup and possibly alienating more veteran players.

I'll give him a ton of credit (so far) for seeing something more than AC than most of the major college coaches in the nation did not.

White will start to hit his 3's but we need his ability to get to the FT Line more and get the opponents bigs into foul trouble. every body is worried about him matching up withy other teams player, but forget the matchup problems he creates for his opponents,
for once it is Iowa that can force the other teams to match them

rebounding is improving. last night ISU came into the game as a top 10 rebounding team avg'ing 45 rpg and Iowa out rebounded them by 1, 32-31, as for Marble playing defense he held ISU's leading scorer scoreless on 0-5 shooting, that hurt Marbles scoring but it did answer the question about Marbles ability to play defense.

Marble struggled the most trying to cover those quick PG's. His length helps make up for a lack of foot speed. There are certain guys Marble will defend well and certain guys he will struggle with. I think he has gotten better defensively but he is not a premier lock down defender by any means.

White will start to hit his 3's but we need his ability to get to the FT Line more and get the opponents bigs into foul trouble. every body is worried about him matching up withy other teams player, but forget the matchup problems he creates for his opponents,
for once it is Iowa that can force the other teams to match them

White is a tough match up for other teams 4's. He moves around a lot and doesn't just sit around the block. He also likes to run the floor and will leak out a lot to beat others down the floor. I like him in the 4 spot a lot more than the 3 spot. His shot is slow from the 3 point line but it does not look terrible. If I were him I would not force the 3 point shot and just find ways to score like he currently is.

Marble struggled the most trying to cover those quick PG's. His length helps make up for a lack of foot speed. There are certain guys Marble will defend well and certain guys he will struggle with. I think he has gotten better defensively but he is not a premier lock down defender by any means.

didn't realize he was to guard other teams PG's, I could have swore that was Gesell's or Clemmon's job,
but anything to trash a kids acheivement or ability

didn't realize he was to guard other teams PG's, I could have swore that was Gesell's or Clemmon's job,
but anything to trash a kids acheivement or ability

Anyone who can think a little would realize he was talking about last yr when marble had to play the point. He was overmatched because of quickness. Now he is playing against people he matches up with better and his defense looks better. The only reason people didn't gripe about his defense last yr was eventhough it was subpar it was still better than bc. Marble is better suited defending a 3, white is better suited defending a 4, and clemmons is our best on ball defender making it great to have him on the pg and gesell seems more comfortable defending the 2. In all it has raised our defensive ability.

Anyone who can think a little would realize he was talking about last yr when marble had to play the point. He was overmatched because of quickness. Now he is playing against people he matches up with better and his defense looks better. The only reason people didn't gripe about his defense last yr was eventhough it was subpar it was still better than bc. Marble is better suited defending a 3, white is better suited defending a 4, and clemmons is our best on ball defender making it great to have him on the pg and gesell seems more comfortable defending the 2. In all it has raised our defensive ability.

Thank you.... That is what I was talking about. Good old Herby got a bit upset..

even last year he did a very good job against Taylor, probably one of the best PG in the BT.
and why didn't you make it clear you meant last year as I posted about what he did last night

even last year he did a very good job against Taylor, probably one of the best PG in the BT.
and why didn't you make it clear you meant last year as I posted about what he did last night

No one trashed anybody...it was stated he has gotten better and certain guys he will defend well and certain guys he won't. Taylor was not built on quickness. Marble is now doing even better defensively because he is not playing out of position. This is a testament to the better play by both clemmons and gesell allowing him to play the 3 and him stepping up to the spot. Saying he isn't a lock down defender isn't ripping him. He isn't. He is getting better though. Defense is the weakest part of his game. I would bet he and fran and many others would agree. Simple breaking down of games and players abilities is not tearing them down. Devyn played great defense on clyburn. I don't expect him to shut everyone he guards down but it was a great contribution. Hopefully his defense continues to improve.

Stop taking everything so negatively.

Taylor also had a bit of a disappointing year last year. And in any case, 2 games out of 18 is hardly what I'd call strong evidence that Marble is a good PG defender.

And it didn't take much deductive reasoning (even for someone who clearly lacks a lot in that area) to know he was referring to last year. But realizing that wouldn't allow you to get all butt-hurt because someone's out to rag on an Iowa player.

LOL WUT? I just think it is, by far, the biggest coaching mistake he has made this season, and NO ONE has talked about it. We clearly had trouble matching up athletically with teams early in the season, but Fran kept rolling McCabe out there.

As for the game, I didn't see one second. I was at a Christmas concert all night at St. Ambrose University. It started at 7, and lasted 130 minutes with no intermission.

Classic example of trying too hard.

The kid just continues to impress! The best Hawk I've seen since.... ?
Discuss

Yes, he does, White was the best basketball player on the court last night. He wasn't the best shooter. He wasn't the best defender. He wasn't the best athlete. But he WAS the best basketball player on the floor last night. He plays with an attitude, has no problem talking smack to the other team, and I suspect, by the time he's a senior, he will be one of the most despised players in the Big 10. He was a great find for Mccaffery, who obviously has an eye for undervalued basketball talent.

As someone has suggested Aaron White is a good.. becoming a very good BB player for Iowa. Because he is white and because most everyone immediately dismiss someone because they are white, or too skinny, or can't jump... Aaron White will be known as an "over-achiever"

If Aaron was black he would now be pro-claimed as the "diamond in the rough.. stud" recruit by Fran that can jump, score, dunk, and ball... against a lot of other "players"

Along with that Aaron White is not a 3, or a 4 or even a 2 or a 1. Fran allows and lets Aaron bring the ball up the court because he can, he's a good ball handler and it works for the team.

Aaron has unique skill sets that defy his color, his sknnyness and the fact that he can play 2, 3 or 4 or who gives a Fricking **** what his colr is or the number of his position.

I live on the Durham/Orange county line about a mile or so from Coach K, not that it matters. He always has said he never, NEVER, ever assigns a number or numbers to his player. He plays them, mixes and matches his line-ups to win.

Just like Fran is doing with this team.

As someone has suggested Aaron White is a good.. becoming a very good BB player for Iowa. Because he is white and because most everyone immediately dismiss someone because they are white, or too skinny, or can't jump... Aaron White will be known as an "over-achiever"

If Aaron was black he would now be pro-claimed as the "diamond in the rough.. stud" recruit by Fran that can jump, score, dunk, and ball... against a lot of other "players"

Along with that Aaron White is not a 3, or a 4 or even a 2 or a 1. Fran allows and lets Aaron bring the ball up the court because he can, he's a good ball handler and it works for the team.

Aaron has unique skill sets that defy his color, his sknnyness and the fact that he can play 2, 3 or 4 or who gives a Fricking **** what his colr is or the number of his position.

I live on the Durham/Orange county line about a mile or so from Coach K, not that it matters. He always has said he never, NEVER, ever assigns a number or numbers to his player. He plays them, mixes and matches his line-ups to win.

I have heard Aaron referred to as a diamond in the rough and multiple people have commented on his skillz and his balling abilities. Stop playing the race card.

Good point. To me the only place number assignment matters is on the defensive side of the ball. Does White have to DEFEND a 3 or a 4. He is much, much better at defending a PF over a SF.

Good point. To me the only place number assignment matters is on the defensive side of the ball. Does White have to DEFEND a 3 or a 4. He is much, much better at defending a PF over a SF.

It cracks me up when people say a person "matches" up better with the other team's player at a respective position. Teams are going to put defenders against the person they need to them to defend... based on ability and resources... not because they are playing the 4, they now have to defend the 4 of the other team.