A plan at Forward

I think Fran has already said he plans to play Uthoff some at power forward, but how he would use him if he was coming in for White would be a coaching decision. I think Uthoff is pretty talented offensively, and he has the length and athletic ability to be disruptive defensively. He probably won't be pushing to many guys around down low, but he can be excellent at a lot of other things.
When fans say Uthoff can't play PF, they need to remember that Bo Ryan wanted to use Jarrod as a Jon Leuer-like PF/C. Even last summer Fran talked of using him in specialty situations as the center at the back end of the defense. Yes, JU needs to continue to gain strength but he can play PF.

This is going to be key for next season. If we can't make teams pay for sagging off the perimeter it is going to be a long year. TD was a nice pick-up and should provide some much needed penetration and playmaking ability. However, that isn't going to help if teams continue to clog the middle b/c of our poor perimeter shooting. The clowns make up for a lack of size with good perimeter shooting. It pretty much opens everything up for them, allowing their guards and quicker "big" men to penetrate and create. I really, really hope this team works on the 3 ball this summer and mid-range jumpers.
I feel like we've reached a critical mass of shooters in 2014. JO is ready to be a dependable shooter. Jok and Uthoff have a year under their belts now. I think MG will be better next year on the perimeter. TD had basically the same 3-pt stats as RDM last year so I'm considering that a wash in the long-range area. Then we add Ellingson on top of that.

Also there's a more favorable rotation for shooters next year. White will be at the 4 so there will be more shooters in the line-up. The last point alone should make us a better shooting team on top of the greater number of experienced shooters.

I feel like we've reached a critical mass of shooters in 2014. JO is ready to be a dependable shooter. Jok and Uthoff have a year under their belts now. I think MG will be better next year on the perimeter. TD had basically the same 3-pt stats as RDM last year so I'm considering that a wash in the long-range area. Then we add Ellingson on top of that.

Also there's a more favorable rotation for shooters next year. White will be at the 4 so there will be more shooters in the line-up. The last point alone should make us a better shooting team on top of the greater number of experienced shooters.

Hope you're right. MG absolutely needs to improve his mid range game. Forget 3pt shooting for him. I'd much rather see him take 2 or 3 hard dribbles and pull up for a 15 footer. Do you think Ellingson gets much PT this year? I love Jok's stroke. I can't remember what game it was but he came down the floor at full speed and w/o hesitation hit one of the smoothest 3's I've ever seen. His shot is so smooth and repeatable. Hope to see him firing any chance he gets.

It all just depends on how much weight/bulk/strength JU adds this off season. If he doesn't look like Jarryd Cole by the time Prime Time ends we're doomed. Doomed I tell ya.

Wisky and ISU showed the value of having 4 3 pt shooters on the floor at all times. Not sure Iowa can ever match that firepower from the arc. Mike has to shoot it better, with Jarrod,Josh, Peter chipping in, we might be almost there. Trey and Sapp are tbd.

Wisky and ISU showed the value of having 4 3 pt shooters on the floor at all times. Not sure Iowa can ever match that firepower from the arc. Mike has to shoot it better, with Jarrod,Josh, Peter chipping in, we might be almost there. Trey and Sapp are tbd.

Mike G has a good stroke but he needs to get out of his funk. Sapp has a good ball too if he ever gets his mojo back. Jok has the Kingsbury mentality so he will pull the trigger at any time.

It all just depends on how much weight/bulk/strength JU adds this off season. If he doesn't look like Jarryd Cole by the time Prime Time ends we're doomed. Doomed I tell ya.

If he's gunna look like Jarryd Cole he needs to spend as much time in a tanning booth as he does the weight room.

Some really excellent knowledge comments on here, a lot concerned with the outside shooting. We have the shooters, now it is up to them......

Thanks, Lasbur and PC hits the nail on the head.....

:rolleyes:

So we need our 3 to look like a guy that played the 5??

If it was me and an either or id pick to have Uthoff improve his handling, shooting and make him more guard like as he will be playing the 3.

There's a much greater chance of him developing into this role than him being a 4 with strength.

With that said, he can still benefit from adding strength at the 3... But I just think some people are hoping for him to transform into a 4, and in my opinion he is closer to a 3 with needs in developing more guard like skills and improving his outside shot.

Hope you're right. MG absolutely needs to improve his mid range game. Forget 3pt shooting for him. I'd much rather see him take 2 or 3 hard dribbles and pull up for a 15 footer. Do you think Ellingson gets much PT this year? I love Jok's stroke. I can't remember what game it was but he came down the floor at full speed and w/o hesitation hit one of the smoothest 3's I've ever seen. His shot is so smooth and repeatable. Hope to see him firing any chance he gets.

The way Jok shoots off the dribble reminds me of Steph Curry.

Doesn't need to be squared up or set his feet and doesn't really jump.

sarcasm escapes this board. JU is never going to bulk up. JU is gonna bulk up like Eric Hansen did during his Iowa career.

sarcasm escapes this board. JU is never going to bulk up. JU is gonna bulk up like Eric Hansen did during his Iowa career.
You're right. JU isn't going to bulk up. But he's already stronger than Erik Hansen. He will get stronger than he is now too- at least that's what Bo Ryan thought.

About sarcasm, sure I got it. Sometimes others don't. Sometimes they throw it right back at you. But you've got to know your audience. If they don't get it, it ain't sarcasm.

Uthoff might not be the bulkiest guy, but he has to be pretty strong after lifting weights for three years at the college level.

Right, and I guess I wasn't really pointing out the sarcasm meter at anyone in particular, but there is a huge portion of this site that thinks since he is skinny that he's weak and that he needs to "bulk up". Weak with the ball vs. being weak in general are 2 different things. I don't think JU is weak at all. He does need to get stronger with the ball, and that has very little to do with "bulking up". During the season, you couldn't go more than 4 posts on here without someone saying "Once JU puts on some weight, hits the weight room and gets strong" and it always made me chuckle. He's already much stronger than Hansen, but people used to say the same thing about him. Like he was over night going to come out with a new body type by hitting the gym. JU is plenty strong for his body type and will continue to get stronger, but don't expect some miracle weight gain over the next 2 seasons. I think a lot of people honestly think we might see that.

You're right. JU isn't going to bulk up. But he's already stronger than Erik Hansen. He will get stronger than he is now too- at least that's what Bo Ryan thought.

About sarcasm, sure I got it. Sometimes others don't. Sometimes they throw it right back at you. But you've got to know your audience. If they don't get it, it ain't sarcasm.

Erik Hansen and strong?? Do you have a sarcasm sign?

Everybody knows to build strength ya gotta hit the weights...

But what do you do to build your sarcasm meter???

Apparently mine is weaker than Erik Hansen is strong.

Latest posts