A plan at Forward

deanvogs

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowas-mccaffery-has-a-plan-at-forward-20140520

Seems like Fran already knows how he wants to handle the void left by McPunchy and Basabe. I'm all for it. I think a slimed down rotation at those spots would help. Get White 30+ min at the PF spot, get Gabe 25 min at C + PF, and keep woody in for 25 min as well. Uthoff can slide to PF when Uhl, or another plays some 3, and 2 of these 3 are getting a rest (White, Gabe, Woody).

I like that plan. We want those three on the floor as much as possible. Uhl will have to provide the depth. Meyer leaving we are a little thin.
http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowas-mccaffery-has-a-plan-at-forward-20140520

Seems like Fran already knows how he wants to handle the void left by McPunchy and Basabe. I'm all for it. I think a slimed down rotation at those spots would help. Get White 30+ min at the PF spot, get Gabe 25 min at C + PF, and keep woody in for 25 min as well. Uthoff can slide to PF when Uhl, or another plays some 3, and 2 of these 3 are getting a rest (White, Gabe, Woody).

Get Nicholas Bear some minutes. I saw him play at Bettendorf and he is a good player. I look forward to watching his college career.

I think White and Uthoff should play the majority of the power forward minutes--split approximately 30/10 at that position. They both would be stretch 4's - and allow spacing for penetration or post-ups by Woodbury/Olesani. White can guard and rebound with almost all the 4's in the Big 10. Uthoff will need step it up a bit in that regard. Each should be more athletic and skilled than many of their counterparts at that position.

We are a touch thin if there is an injury or foul trouble, in which case hopefully Uhl is capable of contributing as a freshman.

Just funny how old school some people are. Basketball had changed a lot most teams don't even have a center there PF is playing center. There is zero need for a true center and a true power forward

I think White and Uthoff should play the majority of the power forward minutes--split approximately 30/10 at that position. They both would be stretch 4's - and allow spacing for penetration or post-ups by Woodbury/Olesani. White can guard and rebound with almost all the 4's in the Big 10. Uthoff will need step it up a bit in that regard. Each should be more athletic and skilled than many of their counterparts at that position.

We are a touch thin if there is an injury or foul trouble, in which case hopefully Uhl is capable of contributing as a freshman.

I thought from the article in the Gazette that Uthoff was scheduled to be the 3 and that Fran predicted that he would score in double figures. Right?

I thought from the article in the Gazette that Uthoff was scheduled to be the 3 and that Fran predicted that he would score in double figures. Right?

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Uthoff will play a fair amount of 3 and I think will spell White at the 4 too. Uthoff is a more a 4 than a 3 to me, however, in today's perimeter-oriented basketball.

I still think Gabe is the best fit a center and Woody the best fit at 4.

Gabe will get physical with big opponents, unlike Woody. Gabe will get more 50-50 rebounds. Gabe can block. Woody will try to fake and shoot around his oppnents. IMO, the defensive distance between Woody's and Gabe's games has gotten tinier.

Rotation will be interesting this year.

Will Woody stay out of foul trouble? If so how many minutes can he log at the 5? The more he can, the more Gabe could play at the 4.

White will probably average close to 30 min per game at the 4 so that leaves about 10 minutes per game between Gabe, Uthoff and possibly Uhl to cover.

The 3 is the our thinnest position. Uthoff will log the most minutes. I look for Jok to spell Uthoff at the 3 as well as play the 2.

Ogelsby, Jok and Mike will play the 2.

Mike, Dickerson, Clemons will play PG.

We have the same issue as last year that we had with White. We are going to have guys playing out of their natural position to help cover the teams needs. Jok is a 2 but will play minutes at the 3. Gabe is a 5 but will play minutes at a 4. Mike is a PG but will play minutes at the 2. I agree with above that Uthoff is better as a 4 than a 3.

Some players are versatile enough to jump play multiple spots. I'm not sure these guys have that versatility to compete and be an NCAA tourney caliber team.

I hope I'm wrong.

Just funny how old school some people are. Basketball had changed a lot most teams don't even have a center there PF is playing center. There is zero need for a true center and a true power forward

Bingo. Its great watching people put minutes next to numbers though shows their basketball nolledge.

Yep, I am with those who think the 3 is a bigger issue than the 4.

I don't see anywhere near the lateral quickness needed from Uthoff to defend swing players on the perimeter (or get by them when on offensive out on the floor). I like the mismatches he creates against bigger, slower players, but cringe when watching his long legs slowly unfold while attempting to hang with quicker players.

I still think Gabe is the best fit a center and Woody the best fit at 4.

Gabe will get physical with big opponents, unlike Woody. Gabe will get more 50-50 rebounds. Gabe can block. Woody will try to fake and shoot around his oppnents. IMO, the defensive distance between Woody's and Gabe's games has gotten tinier.

Woodbury is more physical on D by a good deal. Gabe will get more 50\50 rebounds, Woodbury will make the rebounds more likely to come to him in the first place by boxing out.

I agree the gap between them on D is getting close. Gabes problem on D is that he gets lost off the ball.

Woodbury is not a 4, teams are playing guards at the 4 spot. Gabe is much quicker and can defend on the perimeter

Rotation will be interesting this year.

Will Woody stay out of foul trouble? If so how many minutes can he log at the 5? The more he can, the more Gabe could play at the 4.

White will probably average close to 30 min per game at the 4 so that leaves about 10 minutes per game between Gabe, Uthoff and possibly Uhl to cover.

The 3 is the our thinnest position. Uthoff will log the most minutes. I look for Jok to spell Uthoff at the 3 as well as play the 2.

Ogelsby, Jok and Mike will play the 2.

Mike, Dickerson, Clemons will play PG.

We have the same issue as last year that we had with White. We are going to have guys playing out of their natural position to help cover the teams needs. Jok is a 2 but will play minutes at the 3. Gabe is a 5 but will play minutes at a 4. Mike is a PG but will play minutes at the 2. I agree with above that Uthoff is better as a 4 than a 3.

Some players are versatile enough to jump play multiple spots. I'm not sure these guys have that versatility to compete and be an NCAA tourney caliber team.

I hope I'm wrong.

Most teams are playing a guards the same size or smaller than Jok or Ogelsby at the 3 so I dont know that thats really an issue at all.

Im more worried about Uthoff being out quicked at that spot but hopefully he, unlike White last year, will shoot over those guys and make them pay on the other end. Uthoffs offensive game is at least much more suited for the position and he will be a matchup problem.

I don't know why Gabe will be any different at the 4 other than sometimes having to guard guys away from the basket but he has fantastic lateral mobility and I think in most cases Fran won't go with him when the other team is playing 4 guards rather Uthoff will slide down to spell White. And if Fran did put Gabe in that situation he'll have a huge reach advantage for rebounds.

No matter what I don't think we will have any issues as bad as White trying to play the 3 last year. He couldn't do anything on offense from that spot and wasn't very good on D either.

That's close to the rotation that I would have preferred to see in 13/14'. Of course, having witnessed how Charmin soft our team was, heading down the stretch, I don't see it working out very well. Woodbury will be the only truly physical presence we will have in the starting line up next year. We're going to get destroyed by any team that's willing to defend the our transition offense.

Latest posts