A lot of smoke(coaches defecting)

Tell that to coach K, last year and coach Soup this year. I think KF will make changes when he feels he needs to. But he does like coachs who dont jump at every oppertunity. I also dont understand why people dont get it that KF makes the big bucks based on the fact that Football supports the rest of the AD. Not many schools have a AD that is self supporting. That is very important in a day when so many State Goverments are broke. As long as the money keeps coming in his job is safe. The big money people love him from what I hear
These guys are crazy silly. A FB coaching job at Iowa is one of the best jobs in America, whether you are the head coach or one of his assistants. If you are the head coach, you will be insanely overpaid to the point that it is the first thing people think of when they hear your name. Your contract will also be for a silly amount of years and is totally guranteed, so you have absolutely no pressure to win anytime over the next 3 years (like at a normal school).

If you are one of his assistants, you will be paid market value, which is still a very good living and you will never, ever be fired. You can literally perform your duties at the lowest level of anyone in the United States and you will be brought back. Only two words are required to keep this job, "Yes, Kirk".

Its Shangri la over there I tell you. I want in!

Tell that to coach K, last year and coach Soup this year. I think KF will make changes when he feels he needs to. But he does like coachs who dont jump at every oppertunity. I also dont understand why people dont get it that KF makes the big bucks based on the fact that Football supports the rest of the AD. Not many schools have a AD that is self supporting. That is very important in a day when so many State Goverments are broke. As long as the money keeps coming in his job is safe. The big money people love him from what I hear

A+ on presenting nothing insightful. I am aware of all the Kaz rumors. Its convenient that he just happened to have a job offer at Nebraska waiting in the wings. As to the money thing at Iowa, its self sustaining in the same way the Cubs are these days. People pay for the privilege of the party at this point. FB has become secondary. Unless, IC explodes, I don't see that changing anytime soon even with another couple poor seasons in a row. Eventually though, people, myself included will tire of these overpriced tickets for a below average product. I am of the belief that you try not to get to that point, rather than wait for the horse to have left the barn before closing the door. That is just me though.

Hey guy you can try to insult me if you want. I dont care. But those are the facts. However I do respect your right to disagree. Hope you are having a nice day.

I think what all NeilDiamond is saying is that they have a "job for life" with a good salary as long as they perform to KF's standards, they won't get fired.

I think Coach K was asked to look for other employment because his "style" of coaching wasn't working out and causing attrition.

As for Coach Campbell, maybe he and GD don't agree on things and he wants out. I don't think we are truly going to know why he left, if he does.

Hey guy you can try to insult me if you want. I dont care. But those are the facts. However I do respect your right to disagree. Hope you are having a nice day.

LASBUR, you are a good dude, some guys find that calling people names on a message board is cool apparently.

Difference of opinion isn't well accepted by some people. Just keep posting, don't stoop to their level.

I for one am glad you made the move over to HN from Insider.

Thanks Dave, I just enjoy good coversation. That board has had a pretty bad melt down. But there are some guys I talk to on the side that know their stuff

Maybe this thread should be titled "A lot of smoke (fans defecting)":)

The smart fans (like me) defected in spirit a few years ago. It takes a pretty high level of incompetence to lose to Northwestern 3x in a row, especially with the talent we had in 2008-2010. The 2010 Wisconsin game still shines through as a prime example of how bad this coaching staff is as well, specifically with respect to the fake punt. Now sure, had Wisconsin punted it, with the full on return called, Sandeman probably would have scored a touchdown and ended the game on the return rather than just picking up his 3.8 yard average, but that didn't happen.

This is ridiculous. For one, most programs run an offense based on short routes. Two, calling our recruits "MAC level talent" proves your immense ignorance. Three, you have no idea what you're talking about. Read some of Herby's posts, get informed, and then spout off.

I have no idea what I'm talking about because I don't agree with you? Imagine that. Someone disagrees with Ghost and they have no idea what they are talking about... surprise surprise.

I'm not deliberately trying to insult the Hawkeye recruits by calling them MAC level talent. I would argue that certain MAC teams have gotten more production out of their WR's than Iowa has actually. The Hawks can't get elite WR's to come to Iowa. Plain and simple. They can't even get the top WR's in the state of Iowa to come. That's my point. I can't blame them for wanting to go somewhere they will have a better chance at succeeding at a high level.

"Most programs run an offense based on short routes"

Yes, they do. However, most programs run an offense that mixes it up a little too. Iowa attempted to throw the ball down the field maybe two or three times a game this year. That type of offense is not going to attract top WR's.

Last edited:
Because Ghost is such an informed poster who always thinks he's right... I decided to pull up the current WR's that have given Iowa a verbal commitment. You tell me if they are difference makers at the Big Ten level or at the MAC level:

Damond Powell 5'11 175 Juco transfer from Snow College
Mathew VandeBerg 6'1 170 from Brandon, SD, currently the number 252 ranked WR recruit
Andre Harris 5'11 160 from Kirkwood, MO, currently the number 208 ranked WR recruit
Derrick Willies 6'3 190 from Rock Island, currently the 85th ranked WR recruit

Now, I would consider Willies a legitimate Big Ten recruit. The other guys? I'm sorry but on paper that looks like MAC level talent to me. I'm a huge Hawkeye fan. I have no intention of degrading these guys. Maybe one or two of them will prove to be difference makers. I just don't see it happening. It makes it hard to compete against Big Ten defenses when they aren't in the least bit worried about the guys who are split out wide.

GhostofBTT;1013154[B said:
]Greg Davis puts receivers in the NFL.[/B] Young players know this and want to play for him. How can you not see this? Look at the players coming in? If anything, Campbell was holding us back. Good riddance.

No doubt. 42 Texas players currently on NFL rosters. One wide receiver.

Thanks Dave, I just enjoy good coversation. That board has had a pretty bad melt down. But there are some guys I talk to on the side that know their stuff

Do you know RJ Simmons? That dude HATES Ferentz. He is the reason I don't go over there anymore, the whole "chuggers" thing that he and others stated was just too much for me. I know it seemed to lighten up a little bit once Rob put the hammer down on a few guys but it still isn't as enjoyable for me.

I don't care of Ferentz as much as I used too but I still let others have an opinion and state it without calling names or flipping out.

I used to enjoy talking to RJ a lot. It isnt just him over there its a culture of get KF not talk Hawkeye Football. The board was never the same after Homer left

There has been a meltdown over there because he won't let anyone post. I still do not know what I did to get my "read only" status.

I used to enjoy talking to RJ a lot. It isnt just him over there its a culture of get KF not talk Hawkeye Football. The board was never the same after Homer left

It seems like once Rob but the ban hammer down he has had more of a passive agressive type style. He is still extremely condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with him.

My personal favorite was FUISU, that dude used to crack me up. I think he is over at 247sports now.

Because Ghost is such an informed poster who always thinks he's right... I decided to pull up the current WR's that have given Iowa a verbal commitment. You tell me if they are difference makers at the Big Ten level or at the MAC level:

Damond Powell 5'11 175 Juco transfer from Snow College
Mathew VandeBerg 6'1 170 from Brandon, SD, currently the number 252 ranked WR recruit
Andre Harris 5'11 160 from Kirkwood, MO, currently the number 208 ranked WR recruit
Derrick Willies 6'3 190 from Rock Island, currently the 85th ranked WR recruit

Now, I would consider Willies a legitimate Big Ten recruit. The other guys? I'm sorry but on paper that looks like MAC level talent to me. I'm a huge Hawkeye fan. I have no intention of degrading these guys. Maybe one or two of them will prove to be difference makers. I just don't see it happening. It makes it hard to compete against Big Ten defenses when they aren't in the least bit worried about the guys who are split out wide.

Hey clown, you tell me was Dallas Clark a MAC level recruit? Robert Gallery? Ferentz and Doyle have forgotten more about player evaluation and development than you'll ever know.

I Liked FUISU too, I liked Herk also. Guy was real smart. did tend to go off once in a while. Most of the good posters over there are gone.
It seems like once Rob but the ban hammer down he has had more of a passive agressive type style. He is still extremely condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with him.

My personal favorite was FUISU, that dude used to crack me up. I think he is over at 247sports now.