99% have CTE. Football will be gone in 10 years. I'm serious.

Times change. If technology is even more conclusive....

You can't give your young kids cigs and pot. You can't let them drive motorcycles on the street before being old enough. You can't beat them to toughen them up. You can't abuse them.

If at some point it is highly conclusive, you cannot give a decision about brain damage to the legal guardian. You can't encourage them to drink poison....

A lot will come out in the next 10 years and I doubt it's positive towards football. Maybe it will be but I doubt it.
Well it's obviously dangerous. That's not debatable. Could I see laws thrown out there that there can't be any organized football for kids under 14 or heck maybe even 16? Sure I wouldn't put that past the goofy law makers we have. That might slow down football at the higher levels some down the road but there's just too much of a market of consumers for it. It's the biggest thing going. And as long as there's a chance for people to make big money on it from the advertisers-owners down to the players you'll see college football and pro ball. Adults over 18 can go bash their heads in for money just like alcoholics can abuse it etc etc...

Yes we should put them on the couch and let them play video games (non-violent only). Timmy may hurt himself if he goes outside. He may bonk his noggin' if he plays a rough game game like football. Stop, just stop with all of this nanny nonsense.
[/QUOTE]
I just read an article that said too much time playing video games causes thumb injuries.;)

I loved playing football. I got my bell rung a couple of times, don't know if it has affected me long term or not, hard to tell because I'm not that smart in the first place.

While football is voluntary, and I believe that there will always be a large pool of kids wanting to play (and even more people wanting to watch), there wasn't the awareness of the risks back in the day like there is now. It's hard to say how many guys who played football in the past wouldn't have played if they were aware of the long term impact. I'm sure there would be some, but many still would have played, I think. When you're young, you're invincible, especially highly skilled athletes.

It's a proven fact that even past age 25 with a fully developed brain, some people's brains never developed a sense of humor. But their brain did develope the function of taking themselves too seriously.

Being introspective? We all should do that once in a while. Good job!

I played as long as I could with the limited ability I had and loved it. Got my bell rung multiple times. Got my bell rung in other things too like falling off bikes and out of trees being a kid. Not sure if I am affected or not. Taking each day as a blessing regardless.

As many know and can attest aging period is just hard on the body CTE or not. I can't do the same things I used to and my body does not respond like it used to. That's not CTE but life. Many forget that paralysis from a contact play in football was always a concern and still is. We all accepted that terrifying risk to play. I'd play again if I could but I do think it's silly that kids are playing full contact so early. We got pads in the 7th grade and that was soon enough. We've just gone Tiger Woods in all sports trying to start kids as soon as they are out of diapers

I thought I heard that a punter and kicker had CTE in this report? I'm too lazy to look but if true how the heck does that happen when we all know how little contact if any there is in practices and games at those positions. How can CTE be explained for players in these positions? Might as well do nothing but sit on the couch in bubble wrap and play video games.

Who the heck knows what medicine will be able to do 10 years from now. Elon Musk thinks we will be half or all machines at some point in the future. The brain is just an organic CPU. It is all code. Not to bring politics into it, but you want to solve world hunger, global warming, etc, well humans merge into machines (can back up, repair selves, never have to go to school, no need for heat or maybe even water, etc. Solves a lot of stuff. But I know that is all whacked out. I just believe a lot of what the guy envisions. The one I am not so sure about is we are likely living in some sort of simulation. hard to get my head around that one.
It is definitely the off-season.

Look Susie, I hope you don't trip in your high heels, or they will be trying to ban those too. All of you candyasses that are calling for the end of football because a few multi-millionaires are now wanting to sue the NFL, should just go back to your crochet. And you maam, should stop calling yourself, Fryiowa.......Hayden is a man.
Look, calm down MaryAnn. I'm sorry, I thought we were arbitrarily calling everyone girls names.

The sample size was biased. It wasn't a random sample of all football players, regardless of showing symptoms or not. They all were in the study because they were suspected to have a problem. Take a sample of all players, even those not showing symptoms and you would get a better idea of the prevalence. Most ex-players, it seems, go on to normal lives. Having said that, I do think it merits more study.

110 out of 111 players is not a sample size of 40-50. You should know from high school that 111 is a good sample size and 99.1% confirmation rate is damn good evidence.

Studies by the NFHSA and Football USA, among others, show that youth AND prep football participation rates are declining steadily. Regardless of the reason for decreasing numbers, you don't have college or professional football without high school football.

If peer-reviewed scientific studies aren't good enough, what will it take?

If that's not bias I don't know what is. Look, I love football too and played up through high school. And I honestly don't see what I would interpret to be any symptoms of CTE. I never had a concussion and the hardest hit to the head I ever took was getting hit with a ball while base running in a college baseball game. But, I do think that when you move on to playing college football and beyond, the sheer number of hits (which get harder and more frequent the higher the level you play at) add up and it's been scientifically proven that repeated sub concussive hits and concussions cause brain damage. 110 out of 111 subjects, regardless of whether their family members suspected it, is convincing evidence. And way, waaaaay beyond this study are tons of people still alive who are speaking out about it now where it got swept under the rug.

Brett Farve says he can't remember his daughter being born and can't remember attending his kids sporting events. He also said he can't stand being in sunlight without sunglasses.

Bernie Kosar...listen to the guy speak and how he forms his sentences. It's short blocks of words similar to how a 4 year old talks and he sounds like he just slammed a 12 pack.

Jim McMahon says he can't leave the house anymore alone because he can only remember where he's going for about 10 minutes. He said at one point he pulled over in a random parking lot crying because he didn't know where he was, what he had left the house for, or how to get home.

Tony Dorsett, Lance Briggs, Antwaan Randle El, Jamal Lewis, Tim Shaw, Mark Duper, Dorsey Levens...all living players that have publicly admitted they've been diagnosed with ALS or early onset dementia and there are tons more.

I'm fine with personal choice; if someone knows the risks then it's their life. I also enjoy watching and following football and I don't apologize for that. But don't make the claim that something is bullshit when there's so much evidence out there staring you in the face. You really are going to sit here and tell us you think that all these football players got this way because of some miraculous coincidence? Come on man.

Again if it is true that a kicker and punter are listed with CTE on the study and they are recent players in the last 30-40 years .... what does that say about CTE and this emphasis? Can anyone who played or is part of the game remember a college or NFL coach maybe even a high school coach (if the player was truly specializing in kicking) calling on their kickers and punters for Oklahoma drills? Those two positions are rarely involved in contact and their % of plays in a game is minimal. Really?

Again if it is true that a kicker and punter are listed with CTE on the study and they are recent players in the last 30-40 years .... what does that say about CTE and this emphasis? Can anyone who played or is part of the game remember a college or NFL coach maybe even a high school coach (if the player was truly specializing in kicking) calling on their kickers and punters for Oklahoma drills? Those two positions are rarely involved in contact and their % of plays in a game is minimal. Really?
I would bet that a good percentage of kickers who made it to the NFL at one time played regular positions through high school.

Not relevant to this situation but it's similar to pitchers in baseball. Most don't specialize until college/minors.

I would bet that a good percentage of kickers who made it to the NFL at one time played regular positions through high school.

Not relevant to this situation but it's similar to pitchers in baseball. Most don't specialize until college/minors.
You might be surprised at how many are soccer players that just specialize at kicking are put through the pipeline and don't do anything else. It's happening more and more..

There is a fine line between living life too the fullest and trying to live as long as possible. The problem with that line is it moves as we get older and the damage is done.

You might be surprised at how many are soccer players that just specialize at kicking are put through the pipeline and don't do anything else. It's happening more and more..

By the time they are kicking in college there is no soccer participation if that's there background. So all the damage know is done by high school is what this says?

Probably true. I live in NW Iowa where soccer is just now barely catching on at a couple high schools. I'm sure most of the rest of the country (urban areas) it's been a big sport for a long time.

Latest posts