99% have CTE. Football will be gone in 10 years. I'm serious.

These are the modern day gladiators. There were risks there too. With what we know now, would you let your child play football...my answer was no...he's focused only on hoops. I couldn't allow it...although I had an incredible experience playing in HS. It not worth the risk. Although tackling techniques have improved...there is still major major risk for helmet to helmet contact, especially as you move from HS to College to Pro.

If they neuter the game there won't be much money involved anymore. People watch the game for the hits. Tom Brady's keyhole passes are cool and all, but people watch the sport to see Von Miller and JJ Watt beat QBs half to death.

The game has already been neutered. At times it feels like I am watching a 7 on 7 scrimmage in shells. The NFL marketed those big hits, used them as promos, now they can't do that anymore. I will admit I was one of those neanderthals that like watching people get blown up.

Pay Per View killed boxing. When it would be on Saturday nights and they would show quality bouts, people were into it and could relate to the boxers. Mike Tyson's, Sugar Ray Leonard, Vinny Pazziena, Larry Holmes, etc.. Now there is a disconnect because people don't watch them or relate to them. It's difficult to get into a sport where you don't relate to the players. See hockey.

Pay Per View really limited the fandom over time and only the die hards now pay to view secondary to being a pain in the azz instead of just turning to the station. I used to luv boxing and the high profile fights but when they went to Pay Per View which was when I was in my late teens, I didn't want to afford the extra $$ and decided to stick my middle finger up to boxing.

So, years down the road, MMA fighting gains steam and takes boxing's place and grabs the attention of fans. Unfortunately they are going down the same path as boxing did.

That is part of the reason why the Pacquiao/Horn fight was entertaining. It was free and I didn't have to use my friend Kodi. It was the 80's all over again, similar to watching a high calibur boxing match on a Saturday afternoon, on network television.

Last edited:
When do we get to the point where everyone signs waivers? You want to play football? You understand the risks? If you do sign on the dotted line.

When do we get to the point where everyone signs waivers? You want to play football? You understand the risks? If you do sign on the dotted line.

You just ruled out recruiting under 18 year old high schoolers. People don't have fully functional brains until 25. You just ruled out minors playing in high school.

You just ruled out recruiting under 18 year old high schoolers. People don't have fully functional brains until 25. You just ruled out minors playing in high school.

Doesn't rule out the parents. Parents assume the risk until they are 18.

One thing missing, a control. What's the incidence of CTE in other athletes? or non-athletes? Lower, no doubt...but good science always has a control.
This.
Were 111 brains donated because they experienced symptoms? I would expect 99% showing CTE. That doesn't mean 99% of football players have CTE or brain damage.

How many and how much Alcohol use? Drug use? Those effect brain function and to do those with brain bruising or swelling.?

Agree there is pretty tight correlation, but what is the real rate of how many (what %) develop this?? That is the question and why do some not have it or have a much slower progression. How is Mike Ditka still walking and talking? Maybe guys won't hit like they used to. It used to be cool to put your head down and smack someone. Maybe not so much any more and if you do well you are doing it at your own choice and if you are doing that to someone else (hitting in head) then toss them.

If there is a ton of money to be lost, which there is I think you will see a ton of money going into research including therapy to halt or reverse damage. So much advancement coming in medicine cannot imagine what we will see in 20 years. They keep saying everyone will be riding in a driverless vehicle by then and most won't even own a car. Hard to grasp.

There is a lot of this thread to respond to. One thing that sticks out to me is people thinking there might be some sort of way to slow down or stop or reverse CTE.

You are talking about problems that are a result of getting crushed, not some internal disease that can be reversed by putting something back into someone's body that is being taken out by the disease/condition. The beating that they are taking is the problem, not some hormone or chemical that is being taken from their body that could later be replaced. I don't see how you reverse damage from that.

Admittedly, I am not a doctor and could be completely wrong.

The game has already been neutered. At times it feels like I am watching a 7 on 7 scrimmage in shells. The NFL marketed those big hits, used them as promos, now they can't do that anymore. I will admit I was one of those neanderthals that like watching people get blown up.

I honestly watch the game completely differently. I used to absolutely love the violence of it same as other combat sports. Now when I see big hits I almost feel guilty.

PS if you guys haven't seen the corrales/Castillo fight from probably 10 years ago you need to find it and watch it if you are a boxing fan.

10 years is too soon for it do die out. Football currently makes way too much money. It will be more of a slow burn. A lot of parents are already starting to keep their kids out of football. I expect that to only get worse as these studies continue to make headlines.

I am still conflicted on whether or not I'd let my kid play football. The game is so much faster and stronger than even 15 years ago when I played. Plus the players don't wear as many pads as they used to. Anymore the NFL is a contest of which team loses the fewest players to season ending injuries.

To me it's not just the CTE. Most of these players have chronic injuries that last the rest of their lives. These guys come out of football barely able to walk.

I remember reading an article about Wally Hilgenberg's family and how their next generations were being strongly encouraged to stay out of football.

These arguments are ridiculous. There are elements of our society that won't be happy until it is illegal to go outside your home without wearing a helmet. Football is controlled violence. If you don't like the sport, don't watch it, if you can't see the benefits of the sport don't let your kids play. The arguments above are just further evidence of the wussification of America and the Nanny State. "We know what's best for you and you and you."

Last edited:
Just think of the player like a boxer or MMA fighter. These guys love contact, beating people.
No its not going away, just fewer students participating in it.
Humans love fighting, smashing people's faces, it's human nature.

These arguments are ridiculous. There are elements of our society that won't be happy until it is illegal to go outside your home without wearing a helmet. Football is controlled violence. If you don't like the sport, don't watch it, if you can't see the benefits of the sport don't let your kids play. The arguments above are just further evidence of the wussification of America and the Nanny State. "We know what's best for you and you and you."

So do you augment your testosterone levels or what?

Calm down Nancy, nobody here is arguing that they think football should go away, people are arguing that it will go away, which unless you can somehow predict the future, could happen.

Put down the syringe, don't you know that stuff shrinks your nuts?

Latest posts