3 Loss ISU to New Year's Six

WinOneThisCentury

I'm totally confused. I guess since the Big 12 got shut out of the CFB...they felt an obligation? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I don't begrudge them...you take it. It's just a weird thing that they would bypass a 6-1 Indiana team for both Oklahoma and the Clones. I would say Indiana and NW got screwed.

Indiana got what they deserved after wanting the rivalry game against Purdue instead of playing Iowa and then didn't stay healthy to field a team. I know it wasn't completely their decision but they did vote on it and must have had some influence.

Had Iowa vs Indiana happened the winner of that game gets into a NY6 bowl.

Had the Big 10 not bent the rules and let Indiana play in the title game, they are probably in the NY6.

Had the Big 10 not bent the rules and let Indiana play Iowa, one of those teams are in the NY6.

Had they avoided Rona they might have been in the NY6 with another win.

There are a lot of things that went against them, many of which were not in their control, some of which were, and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

ISU lost to Louisiana, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma. Three losses, one to a Sun Belt team by two touchdowns...and one to a 7-3 Oklahoma State team. Sure they made the championship game...but it's clear that league is down. OU has sucked all year...but beaten up on bad teams to get on a roll.

I really don't get it. Louisiana beat them up...and Louisiana isn't some dominate Sun Belt team...they had 6 games go down to the wire in their league this year....one score games.

This is a joke when you think about it. It's like they are giving them a pass for playing the most games or something. Fine...you get beat by Louisiana...you better win the rest to get to the championship game if you are going to lose the championship game. They are a 3 loss team.

Indiana is a one loss team...and that loss is to freaking OSU...a playoff team by 7 points.

ISU to the New Years Six is the worst committee decision in it's history and it's not close. Naturally Barta is right in the thick of it.

Had the Big 10 not bent the rules and let Indiana play in the title game, they are probably in the NY6.

Had the Big 10 not bent the rules and let Indiana play Iowa, one of those teams are in the NY6.

Had they avoided Rona they might have been in the NY6 with another win.

There are a lot of things that went against them, many of which were not in their control, some of which were, and that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Well, one thing in their control. Indiana didn't lose to a Sun Belt team at home...and allow a Sun Belt team to rattle off 12 runs in a row late in the fourth quarter to score a game clinching touchdown. That's your New Year's Six team right there.

I could see if ISU had that happen (castration) against a B10 team...maybe they recover, win the rest of their games and lose in the Championship Game...you give them the benefit of the doubt...but they also lost to Okie State.

Louisiana got beat by Coastal Carolina. Coastal Carolina beat an undefeated, at the time, BYU team...and beat Louisiana. Both bigger wins that ISU has. OU is ISU's biggest win...OU lost to K-State too...an awful team. Why is Coastal Carolina not in?

It's a joke.

Last edited:
ISU lost to Louisiana, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma. Three losses, one to a Sun Belt team by two touchdowns...and one to a 7-3 Oklahoma State team. Sure they made the championship game...but it's clear that league is down. OU has sucked all year...but beaten up on bad teams to get on a roll.

I really don't get it. Louisiana beat them up...and Louisiana isn't some dominate Sun Belt team...they had 6 games go down to the wire in their league this year....one score games.

This is a joke when you think about it. It's like they are giving them a pass for playing the most games or something. Fine...you get beat by Louisiana...you better win the rest to get to the championship game if you are going to lose the championship game. They are a 3 loss team.

Indiana is a one loss team...and that loss is to freaking OSU...a playoff team by 7 points.

ISU to the New Years Six is the worst committee decision in it's history and it's not close. Naturally Barta is right in the thick of it.

We're talking about a selection committee. I think it's obvious they are modeling themselves after the basketball selection committee. And the basketball selection committee has always valued good wins over losses. Indiana has beaten absolutely nobody and that hurt them.

You don't have to like it but that's what happened, and quite frankly the Big 10 leadership robbed them or Iowa of a chance to play in the NY6. Don't be mad at the committee, be mad at Warren.

Well, one thing in their control. Indiana didn't lose to a Sun Belt team at home...and allow a Sun Belt team to rattle off 12 runs in a row late in the fourth quarter to score a game clinching touchdown. That's your New Year's Six team right there.

I could see if ISU had that happen (castration) against a B10 team...maybe they recover, win the rest of their games and lose in the Championship Game...you give them the benefit of the doubt...but they also lost to Okie State.

When I look at their resume, it looks like they lost to the #6, #19, and #21 teams in their poll and beat the #6 and #20 teams.

Indiana lost to #3 and beat up on a bunch of bad teams to end up with 6 wins. If you want to know why one is in and the other isn't, that's why. You don't have to like it or agree with it but that's the reason.

It is a bowl game of two teams that should be playing against each other. Two teams with 2 losses in crap conferences. Oregon, who finished 3rd in their division in the mighty Pac 12. They gave Cal their only win of the season. They made their conference championship game because of covid. What a messed up system.

When I look at their resume, it looks like they lost to the #6, #19, and #21 teams in their poll and beat the #6 and #20 teams.

Indiana lost to #3 and beat up on a bunch of bad teams to end up with 6 wins. If you want to know why one is in and the other isn't, that's why. You don't have to like it or agree with it but that's the reason.

It makes sense for the Committee to punish the B1G and Pac 10 for not playing a full season. That said, there is no way in hell ISU should be in a NY6 game over Coastal. Absolutely no way. That said, congrats on getting in. Good luck against Oregon. Block that Thibedaeux (sp) kid. He's a baller.

I'm totally confused. I guess since the Big 12 got shut out of the CFB...they felt an obligation? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I don't begrudge them...you take it. It's just a weird thing that they would bypass a 6-1 Indiana team for both Oklahoma and the Clones. I would say Indiana and NW got screwed.

I don't think they were penalized for a close conference championship loss.

We're talking about a selection committee. I think it's obvious they are modeling themselves after the basketball selection committee. And the basketball selection committee has always valued good wins over losses. Indiana has beaten absolutely nobody and that hurt them.

You don't have to like it but that's what happened, and quite frankly the Big 10 leadership robbed them or Iowa of a chance to play in the NY6. Don't be mad at the committee, be mad at Warren.
This is a point that is missed a lot. You have to play winning teams and you have to beat some of them. We played one team w a winning record this season and lost to them. If we win the bowl game Mizzou is 5-6 another losing team on the schedule. Not our fault, I get that, but people around the nation don’t want to hear our explanations. I would love to see the Hawks up their game and play in one of those neutral site games September 1. We had the opportunity in the Rose Bowl and that blew up. Want a national brand? We have to go out and play top teams in big games. Keep the same schedule and we will keep getting what we get.

This is a point that is missed a lot. You have to play winning teams and you have to beat some of them. We played one team w a winning record this season and lost to them. If we win the bowl game Mizzou is 5-6 another losing team on the schedule. Not our fault, I get that, but people around the nation don’t want to hear our explanations. I would love to see the Hawks up their game and play in one of those neutral site games September 1. We had the opportunity in the Rose Bowl and that blew up. Want a national brand? We have to go out and play top teams in big games. Keep the same schedule and we will keep getting what we get.
You do realize that there was only 1 other team that finished with a winning record in the West and there are only TWO teams in the other division that had a winning record. There are 12 teams in the conference and only 4 of them finished with a winning record with 1 of them being our Hawks.

This is a product of only playing a 6-9 game season all within your own conference, not about who you've played or haven't played. Had Iowa played their typical non conference games I have no doubt in my mind they would have finished undefeated. Had the other teams in the conference played their typical non conference games there would be a heck of a lot more than 4 teams in the Big Ten with winning records.

Get rid of the Iowa State game and I'd be all for playing another P5 team at a neutral site or for a home and away game.

Exactly...they lost to two teams at #19 and #21...LOST to TWO teams at the bottom of the top 25...and you put them in a bowl reserved typically for top 10 or 12 teams? They didn't beat OU at the end of the season, which would carry more weight...they beat them early in the COVID season. So who exactly did ISU beat again to after the OU win? LOL. I'll wait.

So...let's talk about the Big 12...what non conference wins are you pointing to to show how tough the conference is.

Texas Tech over Houston Baptist 36-33?

You then have losses by Kansas State to Arkansas State, Iowa State to Louisiana, Kansas to Coastal Carolina. So two teams with losses to the Sun Belt beat the B12 Champion? Does that show how tough a league is? I think it shows exactly the opposite right?

The Big 12 sucked...period. There is no data point that would allow you to put ISU in a New Years Six. They are...but I'm trying to understand the logic.

Good year by ISU; they probably don't deserve to be in NY6 ahead of some of the other contenders, but in a screwed-up year like this, meh.

Ultimately, it is not ISU's fault they got put in this game, and it is not fair that they have to try to defend a pretty special season against outside attackers. We remember what that felt like in 2015. Not comparing the '20 Clones to the '15 Hawks, but the experience of having people from the outside aggressively trying to cheapen your season is shared.

I would like to see the Clones lay one on Oregon.

You do realize that there was only 1 other team that finished with a winning record in the West and there are only TWO teams in the other division that had a winning record. There are 12 teams in the conference and only 4 of them finished with a winning record with 1 of them being our Hawks.

This is a product of only playing a 6-9 game season all within your own conference, not about who you've played or haven't played. Had Iowa played their typical non conference games I have no doubt in my mind they would have finished undefeated. Had the other teams in the conference played their typical non conference games there would be a heck of a lot more than 4 teams in the Big Ten with winning records.

Get rid of the Iowa State game and I'd be all for playing another P5 team at a neutral site or for a home and away game.
I said not our fault.

Good year by ISU; they probably don't deserve to be in NY6 ahead of some of the other contenders, but in a screwed-up year like this, meh.

Ultimately, it is not ISU's fault they got put in this game, and it is not fair that they have to try to defend a pretty special season against outside attackers. We remember what that felt like in 2015. Not comparing the '20 Clones to the '15 Hawks, but the experience of having people from the outside aggressively trying to cheapen your season is shared.

I would like to see the Clones lay one on Oregon.
No one is trying to cheapen their season. I'm just saying the bowl they got is out of line with the season's losses and the timing of their Big Win over Oklahoma. There were two or three teams that were more deserving and it's really not even debatable based on available data. You have to say, the Big 12 was the second most difficult conference outside of the SEC and that's not true. The ACC is clearly the second best...and you could argue, based on history (6 straight against ISU) the B10 is a better conference too.

Iowa played one of the easier, if not the easiest schedule, of the top 5 or 6 teams that were in the hunt for the playoff in 2015. I have no problem with that. We also won them all...and if we had beaten Michigan State, deserved to be in the playoff. There is no debate there and I don't care if people tried to downgrade us. What more could we have done?

ISU could have beaten Louisiana and Oklahoma State...and won the B12...they did none of those things. Three strikes and they still got a New Years six over two teams outside of the Power 5 that were undefeated.

Campbell should use all the negative press to motivate his team to play well...but the negative press around their selection is valid. It's just not explainable.

I hate the ISU game with a passion, but now that they think they're good, we have to keep playing them otherwise it'd be their fan base saying how we ran away once ISU started winning.

Which is fine. Seeing Matty cry in his beer every time we beat those genetic defectives will be more worth it now.

Last edited:

Latest posts