2019 Tyreke Locure

Is there some "real" about an attitude issue that makes him a no-fly zone for Iowa?
He has a 3.2 G.P.A and nothing's been reported about problems off the court. As far as I know, it all comes down to his demeanor on the court. His ultra competitive attitude can be perceived as a negative for some people.

Ultra Competitive. You mean, like this?

200.webp

He has a 3.2 G.P.A and nothing's been reported about problems off the court. As far as I know, it all comes down to his demeanor on the court. His ultra competitive attitude can be perceived as a negative for some people.

The only guy we have out there who acts close to ultra competitive is Garza. We might have more than 2 conference wins if we had more ultra competitive guys like Garza and Locure on the hardwood.

I'd bring him in for a visit and have him scrimmage with bohannon and Garza and see what happens. If he's willing to create space for those two then why the hell not. Originally I kinda thought you were beating a dead horse tk but I'm starting to see the reasoning behind it.

Just read this thread for the first time. Kid looks like a possibility for Iowa. But I have to wonder at a height generously listed at 5-10 if he would have problems shooting over and passing beyond most B1G point guards, most of whom run around 6-4 or 6-5. Many of them also are “explosive” and have a good floor sense. And that’s just on the offensive end.

Last edited:
There's a lot to like about him. The thing I like most about him is that he would play with a chip on his shoulder. And guys like that tend to pride themselves on being a pest on the defensive end. That's what we really need, because I have confidence he'd do fine on the offensive end. Our best teams have had shut down defenders at PG that manage to not turn the ball over on offense. Our offense can always seem to figure it out. I think with Bohannon, Cook, Garza, and Nunge on the floor we'll be fine. Tell him he gets on the floor by altering shots and cutting off drives. I bet he'd be a contributor day one and help us make the sweet 16. Please don't interrupt my dream.

Side note, my bet is that Fran hasn't offered because if he commits then DJ Carton who may be on the fence would jump ship even though we need at least 2 Pgs. Hence, we're back to the typical Iowa Catch 22. Try to get the highest ranked recruit and potentially miss or offer other solid guys who are lower in rankings and could be even better but then get accused of aiming too low and only getting a "Bohannon caliber" player who is great but flawed.

Last edited:
There's a lot to like about him. The thing I like most about him is that he would play with a chip on his shoulder. And guys like that tend to pride themselves on being a pest on the defensive end. That's what we really need, because I have confidence he'd do fine on the offensive end. Our best teams have had shut down defenders at PG that manage to not turn the ball over on offense. Our offense can always seem to figure it out. I think with Bohannon, Cook, Garza, and Nunge on the floor we'll be fine. Tell him he gets on the floor by altering shots and cutting off drives. I bet he'd be a contributor day one and help us make the sweet 16. Please don't interrupt my dream.

Side note, my bet is that Fran hasn't offered because if he commits then DJ Carton who may be on the fence would jump ship even though we need at least 2 Pgs. Hence, we're back to the typical Iowa Catch 22. Try to get the highest ranked recruit and potentially miss or offer other solid guys who are lower in rankings and could be even better but then get accused of aiming too low and only getting a "Bohannon caliber" player who is great but flawed.

Originally I thought it was because we were hoping for Carton, I'm starting to think he's trying to give Connor one year to win the starting job. Which I hope I'm wrong, even thought I'm one of the few that has been impressed with Connor when he's on the court.

Carton might be worth the wait though. I don't believe he is as good defensively as Locure, but he looks to be better on the offensive end. Although Locure doesn't seem to have much trouble finding the basket either.

Originally I thought it was because we were hoping for Carton, I'm starting to think he's trying to give Connor one year to win the starting job. Which I hope I'm wrong, even thought I'm one of the few that has been impressed with Connor when he's on the court.

Interesting take. I've been in the camp that Fran isn't belligerently nepotistic. I think if he had the opportunity to grab a player that makes the team better he would. But I also don't think there would be a Freshman in the country that could unseat Connor in his 3rd year with the program. In brief stints, I was impressed by Connors athleticism and lateral agility. Playing in a system he grew up with, I think he'll be an outstanding offensive PG and a skilled defender. The other thing I could see is playing Carton at the 2 more so than Locure which may also be the impact of having Connor in the program.

The other thing I could see is playing Carton at the 2 more so than Locure which may also be the impact of having Connor in the program.

Nice point. To make that happen though we need a transfer from the current roster and would need the McCaffrey's to keep paying for Connor to attend Iowa.

Carton might be worth the wait though. I don't believe he is as good defensively as Locure, but he looks to be better on the offensive end. Although Locure doesn't seem to have much trouble finding the basket either.

I haven't seen Carton play so I can't compare but I'm surprised by this comment.

I was under the perception that Locure was a better offensive player or at least scorer and I figured Carton was a more well rounded player and a better defender.

I haven't seen Carton play so I can't compare but I'm surprised by this comment.

I was under the perception that Locure was a better offensive player or at least scorer and I figured Carton was a more well rounded player and a better defender.
Locure is better all around. The numbers don't lie.

Carton:
Avg: 25pts, 6.5 rbds, 1.4 steals, .36 blocks, 3.09 assists, 3.18 turnovers
Avg: FG 48.9%, 3PT 34.2%, FT 75.8%

Locure:
Avg: 28.9pts, 5.5 rbds, 4 steals, .18 blocks, 6.43 assists, 3.75 turnovers
Avg: FG 46.8%, 3PT 34.5%, FT 77.5%

Latest posts