2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

We've had a string of guys who were supposed to be a lean towards us that we didn't get. Maybe we're due the other way.

Yeah we can hope I guess. Uhl is from the east coast I believe so might be tough to get him here. Hopefully Basabe told him how great the Midwest is :cool:

Georgetown told Paul White they envisioned him to step in and play the "Otto Porter" role, hmm think that swayed him at all? Probably not.

THE COMPARISONS PEOPLE MAKE ON HERE ARE A JOKE
Georgetown was not really in on White until Hardy was hired......and Hardy had been recruiting him to NW for two years....no chance that this relationship helped at all? C'mon ST, you know how the game works. I like the Iowa staff, but is it beyond possible that our recruiting has not flourished without somebody on staff that is Chicago-centric or Indianapolis/Indiana connected? Lavelle Jordan of Michigan helped bigtime with getting GRIII and McGary out of Indiana, with his Butler background. I am not saying Iowa is KU, which is unfortunate, because KU has tons of cred out there in the recruiting wars, and even they go the extra mile by targeting recruits by hiring certain coaches....but Iowa? No, we are fine without all that special attention to recruiting...after all...we are Iowa BB....the premier program in the country...we do not need no stinking connections..we have recruits flooding into Iowa because we have corn!

Georgetown was not really in on White until Hardy was hired......and Hardy had been recruiting him to NW for two years....no chance that this relationship helped at all? C'mon ST, you know how the game works. I like the Iowa staff, but is it beyond possible that our recruiting has not flourished without somebody on staff that is Chicago-centric or Indianapolis/Indiana connected? Lavelle Jordan of Michigan helped bigtime with getting GRIII and McGary out of Indiana, with his Butler background. I am not saying Iowa is KU, which is unfortunate, because KU has tons of cred out there in the recruiting wars, and even they go the extra mile by targeting recruits by hiring certain coaches....but Iowa? No, we are fine without all that special attention to recruiting...after all...we are Iowa BB....the premier program in the country...we do not need no stinking connections..we have recruits flooding into Iowa because we have corn!

Georgetown was always in play with White, MSU thought they were the favorite for him though. Do connections help, duh, that is why Burke went to Michigan and not Iowa. Iowa/PSU were his only major offers when he made his verbal to PSU. Jordan was all over McGary and offered him when he was still at Iowa.
I don't know what the Butler background has to do with anything other than it was in Indiana and GR3 and McGary are from Indiana. Keep in mind that GR3 and McGary were also AAU teammates, along with Albrecht. McGary is also from Zac Novak's home town as well, connections to Michigan, yeah none at all.
Did the guy from NW help with Paul White, I don't think it hurt, but White wasn't going to NW either.

Iowa has a bad recent history of when these kids were just starting to really understand who was good/bad when they became fans of the game, not just player. Teenage years have a a way of sawying kid of what they think of programs. The timing is just right for kids to think Iowa was a joke and not give them a second thought. It has taken Fran to be able to bend some ears for kids to actually begin to listen, the strategy Fran has used so far is working and I have no reason for it not to continue to work.

A not so great update on Miller from Rivals, Iowa is a finalist, but the writer goes on to basically say Miller likes Iowa enough, but it's a two way race between Colorado and Marquette.

I tooks like Colorado leads for Miller, although he visits Marquette on Friday. Everyone seems to favor Uhl going to either Temple or Boston College. This recruiting season looks like crap.

Does anyone know where Ryan Luther stands in his recruitment?

he never scheduled an Iowa visit. Dusquene and George Washington are willing to take him and his brother as a package, and seem to be the leaders. pitt and vt have cooled on him.

he said back in september that he doesn't have to go to the same school as bro, but it's starting to look that way. ryan visited dayton, which doesn't want his bro, at the end of the summer. no commitment to them.

I wouldn't hold my breath that he takes an iowa visit. seems like he wants the bro act to continue.

It looks like Iowa is getting in on Devonte Graham, a kid who signed a LOI with App St but now is in prep school and App St is refusing to release him. UConn and some other big schools are also interested in him.

luther may be off the radar. he's a 3, and that spot is filled with uhl (who says fran sees him at the 3)

miller and a pg (who isn't a character or talent stretch) look like the priorities

of course, there are always those "harrison barnes juco types"

Too early? Looks like most of them are committed already (at least on the ESPN Database). Would be nice to have at least on marquee player in this class. I think a reasonable wish would be to get at least 1 each class. For the Hawks, it feels like they can only get 1 every 3-4 years.

ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

You must mean 2014? I think by next year he was assuming class of '15. In that case, no, Iowa probably doesn't pull in a top 150 player this ​year.

Too early? Looks like most of them are committed already (at least on the ESPN Database). Would be nice to have at least on marquee player in this class. I think a reasonable wish would be to get at least 1 each class. For the Hawks, it feels like they can only get 1 every 3-4 years.

ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

That is a bit pessimistic. Iowa had a Top 150 (rivals) in 2011, two Top 100 players in 2012, and in 2013 they had a class of one guy- and he was a bit of a strange case being that he was a former Top 50 kid that spent a couple years battling injuries.

I've been fairly vocal about '14 being a disappointment, but Uhl has real potential, and won't be needed to be a big contributor right away.

But to answer your question, LaChance was probably Iowa's last shot with a Top 100 kid.

video of graham going nuts against a decent enloe team

[video=youtube;nAowrHvItRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAowrHvItRE[/video]

aau rumor mill down here says capel is dead set against letting him out of the loi. regional schools are out of the mix right now, but (allegedly) capel is ****** about the whole thing and won't budge, even though there's no benefit now that graham is at brewster and never coming to boone.

Last edited:
video of graham going nuts against a decent enloe team

[video=youtube;nAowrHvItRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAowrHvItRE[/video]

aau rumor mill down here says capel is dead set against letting him out of the loi. regional schools are out of the mix right now, but (allegedly) capel is ****** about the whole thing and won't budge, even though there's no benefit now that graham is at brewster and never coming to boone.

So basically he's pulling a Bo Ryan and being a complete d*ck about the whole situation?