2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

I saw that Rob Howe retweeted that Iakeem Alston just committed to St. Bonaventure. I am starting to think that we won't be getting a PG in this class. Which I am ok with.

I saw that Rob Howe retweeted that Iakeem Alston just committed to St. Bonaventure. I am starting to think that we won't be getting a PG in this class. Which I am ok with.
I agree. It would have been nice to get a top 50 at his position point guard. But we don't NEED one this year. It does, however, make it imperative that we get one next year.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

So basically he's pulling a Bo Ryan and being a complete d*ck about the whole situation?

some bits of smoke that could support capel's claim of nc state being involved, albeit at a remove -- looks like capel is trying to make a statement to protect his in-state turf, to keep any other 2-star kids he can sign from breaking loi down the road. capel and his .473 record may be gone in a year or two from boone anyway, so it's kind of freaky.

imagine if wyatt lohaus blew up this year and wanted to go to iowa. uni would pull a capel just to prove the point.

could be a good risk for the hawks -- they didn't offer alston and there's no dickerson offer after they checked him out. you need that 3rd pg -- but no need to go to the bargin bin in october.

he never scheduled an Iowa visit. Dusquene and George Washington are willing to take him and his brother as a package, and seem to be the leaders. pitt and vt have cooled on him.

he said back in september that he doesn't have to go to the same school as bro, but it's starting to look that way. ryan visited dayton, which doesn't want his bro, at the end of the summer. no commitment to them.

I wouldn't hold my breath that he takes an iowa visit. seems like he wants the bro act to continue.

I just read an article after I posted that question that said Ryan will probably end up at Dayton, it mentioned Iowa, but says he never set up a visit after the initial contact.

He also stated that he and his brother do not have to play together. The Luther family has tons of ties to the Miller family, so I think they were hoping to get both there, but Dayton just wants one and they seem content with that at this point.

does make you wonder why ryan has committed after 6 weeks since his dayton visit. many say that's the favorite -- but is there really a whole lot of difference between dayton, duquesne, and gw? bullcrap speculation about a kid that won't be a hawk and we've moved on from, but I wonder what mom and pop luther are saying if the gw and duquesne offers to his brother were contingent on ryan coming as well. would save mom and pop a hell of a lot of money....

does make you wonder why ryan has committed after 6 weeks since his dayton visit. many say that's the favorite -- but is there really a whole lot of difference between dayton, duquesne, and gw? bullcrap speculation about a kid that won't be a hawk and we've moved on from, but I wonder what mom and pop luther are saying if the gw and duquesne offers to his brother were contingent on ryan coming as well. would save mom and pop a hell of a lot of money....

Why would it save them money if both go to play ball on a scholarship?

I asked the question because on Rivals it still lists him with interest in Iowa.

Why would it save them money if both go to play ball on a scholarship?

I asked the question because on Rivals it still lists him with interest in Iowa.

re-read the conditional clause beginning "if the offers...."

then, consider how this might make a dayton commitment problematic.

if he's interested, he should schedule a visit. or rivals is just lazy....

rivals still lists milik yarbrough as having an iowa offer, which is probably bs.

rivals interest/offer lists, and the stupid crystal ball gimmick on 247, are sometimes as valid as horoscopes.

That is a bit pessimistic. Iowa had a Top 150 (rivals) in 2011, two Top 100 players in 2012, and in 2013 they had a class of one guy- and he was a bit of a strange case being that he was a former Top 50 kid that spent a couple years battling injuries.

I've been fairly vocal about '14 being a disappointment, but Uhl has real potential, and won't be needed to be a big contributor right away.

But to answer your question, LaChance was probably Iowa's last shot with a Top 100 kid.

Thanks appreciate the reply. Seems like LaChance was the guy... We'll see about Uhl, doesn't seem like that same sneaker pick up that White was. Looks like he'll definitely need some development. The program is definitely losing a lot after this season--so my rational was that it would be nice to have a Top 150 developing for a year when we lose this years Junior class. With only 1 player in the 2013 draft class, I really thought we would have to *nail* this year so we didn't have a huge drop off in production. Looks like 2016 could potentially be a rough year.

Thanks appreciate the reply. Seems like LaChance was the guy... We'll see about Uhl, doesn't seem like that same sneaker pick up that White was. Looks like he'll definitely need some development. The program is definitely losing a lot after this season--so my rational was that it would be nice to have a Top 150 developing for a year when we lose this years Junior class. With only 1 player in the 2013 draft class, I really thought we would have to *nail* this year so we didn't have a huge drop off in production. Looks like 2016 could potentially be a rough year.

I don't think 2016 will be a rough year whatsoever. You have to realize that Fran and staff will have the 2015 class to sign as well. As of right now, they are after at least 10 guys in the top 150, if they get two of those, Iowa will be just fine. Also, I wouldn't make any judgements about the 2014 class until they actually play. It is fun to wonder what guys will become and how they will develop or go by their videos.

The Iowa staff has shown every single season that the team progressively gets better as the season goes along; if Iowa still has four or five guys with experience heading into the 2016 year, I think they will be just fine.

Tory Miller to Colorado via his twitter account.

Fran will wait until Spring to pull a couple of rabbits from the hat.

Tory Miller to Colorado via his twitter account.

Fran will wait until Spring to pull a couple of rabbits from the hat.

bummer, but not surprising. Iowa was probably 3rd place there. yeah, hold onto those schollies until spring. maybe some kid blows up his senior year, or a good transfer becomes available.

What will Iowa do with Miller off of the board? Bank schollies, or look at the JUCO, Harrison Barnes types?

If Iowa signs one more player, whatever route they choose and bank one, not all bad. Does the big man out of Souix City get more of a look and an offer this spring?

What will Iowa do with Miller off of the board? Bank schollies, or look at the JUCO, Harrison Barnes types?

If Iowa signs one more player, whatever route they choose and bank one, not all bad. Does the big man out of Souix City get more of a look and an offer this spring?

I'm guessing they will sign 2 more players and won't bank any. Still a lot of time left to evaluate under the radar players and look at more JUCO's.

if the SC East kid blows up and has a great senior year, Fran might go that way. will give the kid time to develop behind Woodbury. i'd much rather see him hold a schollie for next year (after our deep NCAA run) then just give one away to fill a spot.

wait and see on okwarabizie and enzei, and look for a juco pf.

wait and see on the north carolina pg.

I don't think they'll sign 2 in the spring -- especially if they have a good ncaa run. better to go after top 150 HS kids if the program has been in the top 25 and makes some noise in the tournament than to sign borderline players just to fill spots.

wait and see on okwarabizie and enzei, and look for a juco pf.

wait and see on the north carolina pg.

I don't think they'll sign 2 in the spring -- especially if they have a good ncaa run. better to go after top 150 HS kids if the program has been in the top 25 and makes some noise in the tournament than to sign borderline players just to fill spots.

this. i'd think better players would come available if/when we go dancing.

this. i'd think better players would come available if/when we go dancing.

If we go to the NCAA this year and with what we bring back for the following years, Iowa would be a very nice landing spot for an athletic wing transfer, who either could play immediately or after sitting out a year.

Latest posts