20 Best Plays in Iowa History

Cook's knee was VERY close to being down before he got the ball across the plane.

But why sully such a rare moment like winning in the shoe?

Going back to 1987, 1988. Doesn’t it feel like offensive coordinator Bill Snyder was auditioning for a HC job? We had, Kevin Harmon, Rick Bayless, David Hudson, and young versions of Nick Bell, Tony Stewart, and Mike Saunders. But it seemed like we threw the ball more than ever before or since. And Hayden had to sign off on it because he called virtually all the plays. But the game plans seemed to be more Snyder just before he left.

On a side note, Earle Bruce would lose his job 48 hours later. It may be hard for those 35 and under to believe, but there was a period in the eighties and part of the nineties when Michigan dominated Ohio State in their rivalry. Buckeye coaches don't last if they can't consistently beat Michigan. It cost Bruce and eventually his successor John Cooper.

Bruce was allowed to coach his final game. Naturally he beat Michigan. The Kinnick crowd went almost as nuts as if Iowa had scored a touchdown.
Also, at the end of the play, #48 came in to try to make the tackle. He didn't get much of a hit, but he was yelling and screaming at him to try to scare him to the ground. It was Bo Pelini.

People hate on Gus sometimes and I don’t get it. He’s unique, but you can tell he puts a lot of work and skill into his craft. That guy could make a 90 year old dude falling down the stairs sound like a Super Bowl-winning Hail Mary.

And while we’re at it, can we all take a moment and thank our lucky stars that Meth Bowins wasn’t in the booth to F that moment up for eternity???

Would that 90 year old man be falling down the steps at Jack Trice trying to get a good spot in the student section? That clip never gets old.

I like Bo Pelini. Got no beef with that dude at all. He told Nebraska fans they were insufferable, delusional assholes; i.e. the truth.

Bo Pelini is a really good coach. He's not great, but if he was in a HC role in the P5, I absolutely think he'd be in the top quarter of coaches. The guy was at Nebraska for 7 years and won 9 games minimum every year, a level of consistency far above what any other coach in the post-Osborne era has accomplished. I mean, look at their records in non-Pelini years after Osborne left. They went to dogshit really quickly. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the guy and think he's a douche (other than for that hot mic rant that he had), but that dude can flat out coach.

I like Bo Pelini. Got no beef with that dude at all. He told Nebraska fans they were insufferable, delusional assholes; i.e. the truth.
Totally agree. I love the fact that he regularly went 9-4ish and got fired. They haven't been the same since. I just wish he'd come out publicly and stick it up their ass.

Strange is it may sound, Pelini's face didn't do him any favors. When he lost his shit, he looked whacko. Some guys can get away with it...he couldn't.

Strange is it may sound, Pelini's face didn't do him any favors. When he lost his shit, he looked whacko. Some guys can get away with it...he couldn't.
That’s definitely true.

He’s like a real life version of one of those caricatures you get of yourself at the state fair.

Shonn Greene....2 in one game vs Purdue in 2008. 7:12 and 7:33 in this vid. One a sweet spin which sent him on a 70+ yd TD run, the other he destroys a DB trying to come up on run D and scores.

All good highlights, but those Iowa State clips are just pure punishment.

I'm kinda partial to Stoops tackle in the Peach bowl that saved the game for the Hawkeyes. The superman tackle by linebacker Larry Station was pretty cool too. Too many plays to pick only 20.

Bo Pelini is a really good coach. He's not great, but if he was in a HC role in the P5, I absolutely think he'd be in the top quarter of coaches. The guy was at Nebraska for 7 years and won 9 games minimum every year, a level of consistency far above what any other coach in the post-Osborne era has accomplished. I mean, look at their records in non-Pelini years after Osborne left. They went to dogshit really quickly. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the guy and think he's a douche (other than for that hot mic rant that he had), but that dude can flat out coach.
Agree. That's proof right there. Anyone that can get that dog shit of a program winning 9 games a year is enough evidence that they are a terrific coach.

Latest posts