20 Best Plays in Iowa History

Shonn Greene....2 in one game vs Purdue in 2008. 7:12 and 7:33 in this vid. One a sweet spin which sent him on a 70+ yd TD run, the other he destroys a DB trying to come up on run D and scores.

I've referred to a DB getting runover as getting "Duonged" for the last 12 years.

Nobody knew it at the time, but without Marshall Koehn’s kick against Pitt 2015 doesn’t happen...
Oh WOW! What a memory. And yet, in that game, my "play of the game" was Brett Greenwood leading the team out onto the field and being our honorary captain. That was up there along with Houghtlin #1 vs. #2 in terms of emotional overload.

People hate on Gus sometimes and I don’t get it. He’s unique, but you can tell he puts a lot of work and skill into his craft. That guy could make a 90 year old dude falling down the stairs sound like a Super Bowl-winning Hail Mary.

And while we’re at it, can we all take a moment and thank our lucky stars that Meth Bowins wasn’t in the booth to F that moment up for eternity???
A day? I'm not even Catholic, but I might say "Hail Mary's" for a week on that one. And yes, Gus' call was fantastic - and that was the loudest I ever heard the dome in Indy during a B1G Championship game. It was also the proudest I'd ever been of Iowa when they lost - they put on one HELLUVA game that night.

May not be worthy of top 20, but some of my favorite plays.

CJ Jones C U later!

Beathard to Tevaun Smith in BT Championship game (and Gus's call).

The stand vs. Syracuse (OK, it's not 1 play)

Dallas Clark 95 yd TD vs. Purdue

Pinball INT vs. Indiana

Chuck Long to Marv Cook vs. OSU

Dwight punt return vs. Minnesota to break Big Ten record for career punt return TD's (along with his others).
Chuck Long's 74-yard pass to Dave Moritz to FINALLY beat Ohio State in 1983.

Rob Houghtlin's "other" big game winner at the Holiday Bowl, essentially a home game for San Diego State that night.

The combination of plays (Paul Kuyawa for the TD, Moses Santos for the sack on Elvis Grbac and John Derby for the interception) that beat Michigan as the headliner to send us to our 3rd Rose Bowl in 1990.

The "12 Men on the Field" in Minneapolis that allows Rob Houghtlin to kick a 2nd FG to beat Minnesota in 1986, 30-27 after trailing 17-0 at the half.

The "bubble screen" from Scott Mullen to Kevin Kasper that broke our horrific 13-game losing streak near the beginning of the KFz era in beating #25 Michigan State. Who knew what was to come?

Iowa stops Wisconsin on the 1-yard-line at the end of the game in 2003 up in Madison to secure a winning B1G season, an Outback Bowl bid and eventually a 2nd straight closing #8 in the polls.

Akrum Wadley’s 4th quarter catch and run to send the game into overtime against Iowa State. Absolutely electric.

Yes I still get goose bumps watching that play where he makes the catch, which with Stanley throwing a short ball with steam is not always easy, just sheds the middle backer, breaks another tackle, and then that otherworldly stutter, stop, fake and go to open up dragging a couple of guys into the endzone.

What a talent in the league with Ronnie Harmon.

People hate on Gus sometimes and I don’t get it. He’s unique, but you can tell he puts a lot of work and skill into his craft. That guy could make a 90 year old dude falling down the stairs sound like a Super Bowl-winning Hail Mary.

And while we’re at it, can we all take a moment and thank our lucky stars that Meth Bowins wasn’t in the booth to F that moment up for eternity???

I like Gus's enthusiasm and most of his 'sayings'. He can be a little 'homerish' for one team sometimes but fun to listen to. His call on CJB to T Smith in the Big CGame was awesome.

I have read a lot of offensive plays and offensive scoring plays so far. Some great defensive plays and the Clayborn punt block was one of the most turn the tables plays for Iowa in a long time.

Defensively I think some big sacks would be in order or other turnovers that really turned a big game in Iowa's favor. There were several big plays defensively by the 1990 team which got them a title and Rose Bowl berth.

I think it was 2002 Purdue game where a pretty good Purdue team was giving Iowa everything in a super close game when a short Purdue field goal was blocked and run back by a starting cornerback. That was a great team play with several big blocks on the run back. It turned the game around and helped Iowa win and go on to a title. Very similar to the pinball INT that Sash ran back to start the comeback against Indiana a preserve the 9-0 start.

Nobody knew it at the time, but without Marshall Koehn’s kick against Pitt 2015 doesn’t happen...
And if the NCAA-record of two game-ending blocked FGs vs the mighty UNI Panthers don't happen, 2009 most likely doesn't happen (right out of the gate).

Last edited:
Duh, Rob Houghtlin beats Michingan. 1 Vs. 2. Is there any greater play.

A close 2nd is Nile Kinnick diving into the end zone to beat Notre Dame.
Before "The Kick" could happen, Larry Station had to instinctively blitz and knock Jamie Morris for a loss on a 3rd and 2 when scUM was driving to run out the clock and the game. Without that and the subsequent punt, Iowa doesn't get the chance to win on a FG.

Last edited:
How about Tavian Banks first play of the game in like his first four games?

Also, Iowa fans and the goal posts in the metrodome.

How about Tavian Banks first play of the game in like his first four games?

Also, Iowa fans and the goal posts in the metrodome.

Speaking of the Metrodump, didn't Iowa fans get a delay of game called on Minnesota back when they had that rule that the home team couldn't be too loud when the visiting team was on offense?

Shows that Iowa has yet to lose a game that wasn't a screw job by the refs:

''It`s that time of year when coaches and teams don`t lose football games, only officials,'' Duke said. ''I`m not challenging Hayden Fry, but the rules also state that the referee can send both teams to the sidelines until playing conditions improve.''

And then this prick Earle Bruce:

''Fry`s over-reacting to the fact that he lost,'' Bruce said. ''I don`t know whether he`s taken a team to Nebraska. You can`t call an audible there.

Yeah, Earle, Hayden did play at Nebraska. 1982. Kept it within 5 touchdowns after beating them at Kinnick the year prior. What an asswipe. You can take the trash out of Ames but you can't take Ames out of the trash.

Latest posts