'18 Athletic Department Study Showed Serious Racial Bias in Iowa Football

This just greeted me when I opened Yahoo! This does not look good. I no longer think Ferentz survives.
112147956_10216009147332202_969031470402765019_o.jpg

I love how this is being spun as a new twist. There was nothing new in this “special report”.

Here's the five-page Diversity Task Force report summary of findings release by the Iowa via FOIA request (ie the one UI was comfortable releasing) and that's posted at HawkeyeSports.com:

LINK

Here's the 9-page, specific Diversity Task Force report released publicly for the first time by HN today:

LINK

If don't recognize the difference, you're either not looking or don't want to see.

If you read the story I wrote in which I linked the full report, it explains the difference as well.

And, remember, KF's first statement when the players flooded social media on Friday, June 5, was that he wished they would have come to him first.

First of all, THANKS Rob and HN. You have done the state -- yes, the state -- a favor by publishing this info. I have no horse in this race, but this info is really damning for KF. I think many folks were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just an old white guy who lived in a bubble and his powerful position allowed him to become terribly out-of-touch. But the specifics of the full report are very similar to what we're hearing from players now, and Kirk's innocent "but nobody TOLD us they had a problem" is now revealed as a flat-out lie and BS. I was initially stunned by the quickness that KF and Barta responded when Daniels and others first started going public with their concern -- it seemed especially out of character for Mr. Cautious (KF). But now it all makes sense: they had read these same exact comments before and just not taken them seriously...because they thought the players would keep quiet and not go public. Thank goodness the players acted, and again, thank you Rob for doing what good journalists do: publish info that public institutions try to hide from the tax-paying public.

Here's the five-page Diversity Task Force report summary of findings release by the Iowa via FOIA request (ie the one UI was comfortable releasing) and that's posted at HawkeyeSports.com:

LINK

Here's the 9-page, specific Diversity Task Force report released publicly for the first time by HN today:

LINK

If don't recognize the difference, you're either not looking or don't want to see.

If you read the story I wrote in which I linked the full report, it explains the difference as well.

And, remember, KF's first statement when the players flooded social media on Friday, June 5, was that he wished they would have come to him first.

He's lost control of the narrative.

Arrogance. It comes down to KF doing whatever he wants in the Iowa football program for a long time. Nobody checks him at all. Lets be real, he wouldve been canned most places by now for previous incidents. Gets a free pass at Iowa

Sorry. I can’t find the Ha ha emoji.

Seriously, the nature of the report was new?

We knew a subcommittee was created, Barta and KF already acknowledged it. The findings in the report don’t reveal anything new, it’s many of the same claims we’ve already heard and in some cases probably by the same people who have come forward on Twitter.
Just because someone perceived something to be a certain way, does not make that a reality.

LINK

LINK

Well done, Rob. That was a well written article. Must have been very difficult to write knowing the implications. As they say... that took a set...

LINK

LINK

Pardon my ignorance, but I guess I'm confused. Does this diversity task force include all of Iowa athletics or just the football program? I'm confused because the documents seem to support the former, but your context is focused squarely on the latter. Yes, the two documents are different (as in not identical). I don't see a night and day difference in the big picture between them nor would I expect to since one is a full report, and the other is a summary. The "nine-page" full report contains a lot of white space and is really 6 or 7 pages at best.

I get the impression that you believe the difference between these two documents somehow incriminates KF. I also don't see the correlation between this and KF's June 5 statement. There isn't enough meat on the bone to draw that conclusion IMO.

What about all the other Iowa athletic programs? Where do they stand on the matter?

LINK

LINK

What makes you believe that isn’t the case? James Daniels and Jordan Lomax both said they NEVER spoke to KF directly about any of the issues they brought up.

We knew a subcommittee was created, Barta and KF already acknowledged it. The findings in the report don’t reveal anything new, it’s many of the same claims we’ve already heard and in some cases probably by the same people who have come forward on Twitter.
Just because someone perceived something to be a certain way, does not make that a reality.

The point is that the report was done at X time. Some time later KF did seem surprised. He either read it (guilt) or didn't (guilt). He didn't do enough.

First of all, THANKS Rob and HN. You have done the state -- yes, the state -- a favor by publishing this info. I have no horse in this race, but this info is really damning for KF. I think many folks were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just an old white guy who lived in a bubble and his powerful position allowed him to become terribly out-of-touch. But the specifics of the full report are very similar to what we're hearing from players now, and Kirk's innocent "but nobody TOLD us they had a problem" is now revealed as a flat-out lie and BS. I was initially stunned by the quickness that KF and Barta responded when Daniels and others first started going public with their concern -- it seemed especially out of character for Mr. Cautious (KF). But now it all makes sense: they had read these same exact comments before and just not taken them seriously...because they thought the players would keep quiet and not go public. Thank goodness the players acted, and again, thank you Rob for doing what good journalists do: publish info that public institutions try to hide from the tax-paying public.

Rob didn't make the report. Axe or no axe to grind, reports should be doing what he is doing.

What athletes from other sports programs at Iowa have spoken out about racial bias?

Did Gary Barta say that he was told many of the allegations in the DTF report were coming from football?

What happens in the Iowa Football program if the players don’t come out on social media charging the same bias shown in an internal Iowa report that was compiled in the fall of ‘18?

Why after the report did Ivory Kelly-Martin play over a year in a program that he came out on June 12 and said he felt he was waking on egg shells and looking over his shoulder?

Do you care about he dozens of players that went public last month or only Iowa football as an entity? Did you take time to read the report and see how the Iowa coaches and admins perceive Black players?

What athletes from other sports programs at Iowa have spoken out about racial bias?

Did Gary Barta say that he was told many of the allegations in the DTF report were coming from football?

What happens in the Iowa Football program if the players don’t come out on social media charging the same bias shown in an internal Iowa report that was compiled in the fall of ‘18?

Why after the report did Ivory Kelly-Martin play over a year in a program that he came out on June 12 and said he felt he was waking on egg shells and looking over his shoulder?

Do you care about he dozens of players that went public last month or only Iowa football as an entity? Did you take time to read the report and see how the Iowa coaches and admins perceive Black players?

I believe around half of the football staff is black, so you could conclude that half of those statements are from black coaches.

Also, there are many advocates currently who consider the ACT requirement racist because it’s common for black people to come from places with a poor education system. It seemed to me that’s what the coaches alluded to when labeling someone at-risk. Both things can’t be seen as racist at the same time.

Kicker, I think this is worse for Barta. He's the guy who constantly preaches, "Win, graduate, do it right". How could he possibly be oblivious to the horrendous transfer rate of black athletes and the equally bad graduation rate of black athletes. His 3 legged stool of win, graduate, do it right is now little more than a single unit pogo stick. To me the transfer rate & graduation rate are virtually indefensible. .

Horrendous transfer rate? Huh? Ours is in line with most programs at the D1 level. Same with the graduation levels. Those aren't Iowa exclusive problems.

Horrendous transfer rate? Huh? Ours is in line with most programs at the D1 level. Same with the graduation levels. Those aren't Iowa exclusive problems.

Graduation? Really? https://qctimes.com/sports/college/... graduation success,and 62% at Michigan State.

the study showed that only 40% of black male athletes at Iowa received a degree.
That percentage is the lowest in the Big Ten and Iowa is joined by Ohio State at 41%, Michigan State at 46, Illinois at 48 and Rutgers at 49 with rates below 50%.

At Iowa, that percentage compares to a 77% graduation rate for all athletes and a 71% graduation rate for the entire student body.

The study also compares rates among 65 institutions in power-five conferences and Iowa’s 40% graduation rate shares 60th on that listing, which has Northwestern first with an 88% graduation rate for black male student-athletes and lists LSU last at 34%.

The graduation most certainly is not. Especially for a program that prides itself on graduating its players, or I guess only the white players count right? The graduation rate for black players is abysmal.

The graduation most certainly is not. Especially for a program that prides itself on graduating its players, or I guess only the white players count right? The graduation rate for black players is abysmal.

Stanzi is correct when he says,”Ours is in line with most programs at the D1 level. Same with the graduation levels. Those aren't Iowa exclusive problems.”

He cannot help it if you guys are passing on fake news as fact.

Stanzi is correct when he says,”Ours is in line with most programs at the D1 level. Same with the graduation levels. Those aren't Iowa exclusive problems.”

He cannot help it if you guys are passing on fake news as fact.

How can being last in the Big and 60th of 65 be in line? Especially when you entrance requirements are lower than ave for Big and P5. For p5 the numbers are not as far of media, but still off. Iowa is not a competitive U

Last edited:

Latest posts