Ahron Ulis, Josh Ogundele in Portal

It feels like Fran may have nudged Uhlis out of the nest. I have no inside info., but Fran is usually pretty candid with the guys and perhaps he told him the starting PG job is wide open. Fran may feel it better to give Bowen and the incoming kids a clear shot at it, and I read somewhere Fran is talking to a portal PG/F combo kid. It is the times we are living in. Get better or get worse, but don't stand still....

I cannot imagine Uhlis will find a gig where he has a clearer shot at starting at a major school. But, if he saw the writing on the wall, he may just look for a smaller school.
Bowen just didn't show much presence when he was in.

Ulis had an up and down year. Started out well, then slumped, had another good stretch and then fell flat at the end of the year. Felt like he got into Fran's doghouse at the end of the year. No proof of that just going on optics.

Before the Auburn game it sounded like Bowen was coming back. I'm basing that on the interviews he gave. It could have been token bullshit answers so take it, fwiw.

Perk is the wildcard, I can't get a feel on that at all.

Wow. Really?
Total sarcasm. Iowa wasn’t great at PG this year tho. We were hybrid. Dix, Perkins, Connor, Ulis, didn’t really matter who was at the 1. It’s diversity and it also hurts because we didn’t have any quick penetrating guards. We need a good true PG, I think Fran told Bowen that he’s it. Probably had to, but Joe T didn’t work, AU didn’t work…. Im super excited about Bowen but temper it because of history.

Total sarcasm. Iowa wasn’t great at PG this year tho. We were hybrid. Dix, Perkins, Connor, Ulis, didn’t really matter who was at the 1. It’s diversity and it also hurts because we didn’t have any quick penetrating guards. We need a good true PG, I think Fran told Bowen that he’s it. Probably had to, but Joe T didn’t work, AU didn’t work…. Im super excited about Bowen but temper it because of history.

And Harding won't push Bowen until at least January...if he pushes him at all in 23-24

You really are all over the board. Ahron was above where Joe was at Iowa.

The puzzle is why does Iowa have a struggle getting and/or keeping fast point guards. Ahron was the only one that looked quick enough to be on the court with Auburn and Murray 2 was smothered.
I think they’re slightly nudged out because the coaching staff knows they need more production offensively from that spot. He was told where he stood, a big part of their plans but it’d be an open competition and they need points.

I think they’re slightly nudged out because the coaching staff knows they need more production offensively from that spot. He was told where he stood, a big part of their plans but it’d be an open competition and they need points.
It will have to come from somewhere else, as i just don't see it. I see Perkins as a cross over 1/2 but not really a pure form of each...which is good...and maybe not so good. His speed was so much higher under more control than Joe.

Yeah, this feels like a nudging in both regards, Josh was nudged out last year too but how the portal went, it was a nice little fall back for the coaching staff to lean on bringing him back.

I really liked Ahron Ulis but his departure will be as impactful as Joe T's last season.

IMO, this frees up space and for those that follow recruiting, Iowa is in on a TON of guys in the portal already.
Touissant > Uhlis

They don’t need points from the pg position. The issue with iowa basketball has never been points with this staff. It’s always been defense. They need a pg that plays lockdown defense out front

Joe T had the speed too, so last 2 real PG's Fran lost. Fran can't do anything without tripping over his own dick I guess.
Ulis and Joe T did have speed , but it’s what they both lacked that made them non factors in most games they played in. Neither one of them was much of an outside threat. Both had trouble creating their own shot and getting to the rim was spotty as well. If you look at the 16 teams left in the tournament, most of them have really good guards who are a triple threat.

They don’t need points from the pg position. The issue with iowa basketball has never been points with this staff. It’s always been defense. They need a pg that plays lockdown defense out front

C’mon man. How much defense was ISU playing under Hoiberg?

Bowen just didn't show much presence when he was in.
Freshman pgs that play usually either come in with their hair on fire like Joe Toussiant and just play overly aggressive all the time (come to find out that was a large part of his game) or they are a tad on the timid side afraid to make a mistake. Bowen didn't really play enough and Fran kinda bungled how to handle his mins. He shoulda been getting 10-15 every game but instead he went several games without playing at all and barely playing when he did.

Freshman pgs that play usually either come in with their hair on fire like Joe Toussiant and just play overly aggressive all the time (come to find out that was a large part of his game) or they are a tad on the timid side afraid to make a mistake. Bowen didn't really play enough and Fran kinda bungled how to handle his mins. He shoulda been getting 10-15 every game but instead he went several games without playing at all and barely playing when he did.

I don't think he could afford to do that, Iowa's margin for victory this year was razor thin. Not a lot of garbage time games to get him in down the stretch when you are trying to make the NCAA tournament.

I am sure the coaches explain this to him. I am sure they make it very clear that he's going to be the guy moving forward. I am sure that he was running with the 1's more and more as the season went on in practice and I am also sure that AU saw that. IMO, if Bowen doesn't leave, it's hard to argue that Fran didn't handle it masterly.

I don't think he could afford to do that, Iowa's margin for victory this year was razor thin. Not a lot of garbage time games to get him in down the stretch when you are trying to make the NCAA tournament.

I am sure the coaches explain this to him. I am sure they make it very clear that he's going to be the guy moving forward. I am sure that he was running with the 1's more and more as the season went on in practice and I am also sure that AU saw that. IMO, if Bowen doesn't leave, it's hard to argue that Fran didn't handle it masterly.
Yeah time will tell that's the thing right there.... I guess we could nitpick over different spots where Bowen could've played more. All I know is damn near every min Ulis played that wasn't against PSU was a waste. He just brought so little to the table.

It felt like if coming into the yr that if all Bowen was going to play was what he did they should've just redshirted him. I will counter what I just said though with by not doing so it does stagger him and Nimmers who did RS and they'll be a yr difference with incoming Harding. Along with the unknown of who might they be bringing in from the portal. I assume they aren't looking for just a big or 2 I bet they go for a guard too

Ulis had an up and down year. Started out well, then slumped, had another good stretch and then fell flat at the end of the year. Felt like he got into Fran's doghouse at the end of the year. No proof of that just going on optics.

Before the Auburn game it sounded like Bowen was coming back. I'm basing that on the interviews he gave. It could have been token bullshit answers so take it, fwiw.

Perk is the wildcard, I can't get a feel on that at all.

I don't get the Perkins thing. I'm not sure why people are thinking he could leave. He played a role and got some good minutes. He'd be coming back as a veteran while Fran breaks in Harding and company.