Ahron Ulis, Josh Ogundele in Portal

And so it begins... Ulis is the one I kinda hoped would be leaving but I wasn't so sure he would. You don't usually see returning starters leaving like him. But we need his mins for other guys. He just didn't provide much of anything.

I'm curious if Mulvey is sticking around or not...

It feels like Fran may have nudged Uhlis out of the nest. I have no inside info., but Fran is usually pretty candid with the guys and perhaps he told him the starting PG job is wide open. Fran may feel it better to give Bowen and the incoming kids a clear shot at it, and I read somewhere Fran is talking to a portal PG/F combo kid. It is the times we are living in. Get better or get worse, but don't stand still....

I cannot imagine Uhlis will find a gig where he has a clearer shot at starting at a major school. But, if he saw the writing on the wall, he may just look for a smaller school.

Yeah, this feels like a nudging in both regards, Josh was nudged out last year too but how the portal went, it was a nice little fall back for the coaching staff to lean on bringing him back.

I really liked Ahron Ulis but his departure will be as impactful as Joe T's last season.

IMO, this frees up space and for those that follow recruiting, Iowa is in on a TON of guys in the portal already.

After watching the season play out, you couldn't have hand picked two players that you'd like to cut out of Iowa basketball. I really hope we don't hear of more, Iowa has typically been the type of program that likes to flush that all out at once unless Fran get's blindsided with a Moss or CJ like transfer, which is even more possible and likely in today's climate. I could see Tony P starting his Sr. seasons at either Indiana or Purdue. I would puke, but I could see it.

After watching the season play out, you couldn't have hand picked two players that you'd like to cut out of Iowa basketball. I really hope we don't hear of more, Iowa has typically been the type of program that likes to flush that all out at once unless Fran get's blindsided with a Moss or CJ like transfer, which is even more possible and likely in today's climate. I could see Tony P starting his Sr. seasons at either Indiana or Purdue. I would puke, but I could see it.
I'm worried Perkins will hit the road. Will be interesting to see along with Bowen and Mulvey.

4 incoming Freshman and 3 open ships at the current. I bet Iowa fills all 3 in the portal this season.

This is best for all parties involved. Ulis is a decent defender, but is not a great shooter or ball handler. JO had potential but with his weight it was hard to get sustained minutes. Good luck to both and thanks for being Hawkeyes!
I hope Bowen sticks around and is given plenty of opportunities to win the starting PG position. I don’t think there is a huge need for a portal PG if he returns.
What this team needs are quicker, more athletic players who can defend or protect the rim. We have enough good shooters to make the offense effective; we got to get players that can help get us stops.

I'm worried Perkins will hit the road. Will be interesting to see along with Bowen and Mulvey.
From what I have read, Perk is getting some love from Iowa NIL and deserves it. I think someone would have to buy him to get him to leave Iowa and I don't think he had the type of year that a big program would throw a lot of money at him. I think Perk sticks, although he would be sought after in the portal.

From what I have read, Perk is getting some love from Iowa NIL and deserves it. I think someone would have to buy him to get him to leave Iowa and I don't think he had the type of year that a big program would throw a lot of money at him. I think Perk sticks, although he would be sought after in the portal.
He seems tight with Fran, Pat and Connor that's for sure.

Unlike Hawk Gold that thinks that other players snicker and talk about how Pat and Connor get preferential treatment and that somehow brings on resentment, I feel like Pat and Connor go a long ways to keeping things together. To keep the focus. To be coaches off the court too. We don't have a drastic attrition rate. We don't have a lot of players getting into trouble. It seems like the guys get a long and like each other and it always has a "family" feel to the program. I think having Fran's kids help more than hurt in almost every sense.

Ullis was the one who could compete with Auburn's speed. Huge loss. Iowa looses the first real PG in years.

Guess we need point guards that shoot like linebackers and or can't get to the hoop. Perkins can do it, but not as quick/fast.

Joe T had the speed too, so last 2 real PG's Fran lost. Fran can't do anything without tripping over his own dick I guess.

He seems tight with Fran, Pat and Connor that's for sure.

Unlike Hawk Gold that thinks that other players snicker and talk about how Pat and Connor get preferential treatment and that somehow brings on resentment, I feel like Pat and Connor go a long ways to keeping things together. To keep the focus. To be coaches off the court too. We don't have a drastic attrition rate. We don't have a lot of players getting into trouble. It seems like the guys get a long and like each other and it always has a "family" feel to the program. I think having Fran's kids help more than hurt in almost every sense.

It would be naive to think that there are only rainbows and unicorns. You totally left out my comment about a former player that I actually know and have done business with and the respect he had for Fran. Nice cheap shot.

No doubt that unity plays into it. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to justify heading into this year for PM to get minutes over Murray 2. I don't be it. I would guess that Kenyon doesn't get it either.

FM pulled playing his boys off reasonably well especially in light of the past coach. If you have had a kid in any sports program or have coached you certainly would understand if you thought about it.

There were some personal issues on the team. We just don't know what they are.

Joe T had the speed too, so last 2 real PG's Fran lost. Fran can't do anything without tripping over his own dick I guess.
You really are all over the board. Ahron was above where Joe was at Iowa.

The puzzle is why does Iowa have a struggle getting and/or keeping fast point guards. Ahron was the only one that looked quick enough to be on the court with Auburn and Murray 2 was smothered.