This Is The Proctor Thread

I’m done with this guy. I only want to hear about him when his mom sniffs around for more money every year. 100% he transfers at least once.

Still a HS student, though, even if one with many opportunities in front of him. I say not OK from any adult.

These kids should do what is best for them. Sometimes that is taking the best offer available at the time, and then later jumping to a better offer. Lord knows programs and coaches frequently do the same.

Proctor was in a bit of a different situation because that Alabama offer was there when he committed to Iowa, which is perhaps why fans are so frustrated by the change in heart. But while the scholarship offers haven't changed, the landscape of CFB has shifted seismically since that commitment. Losing this guy really sucks, but I don't blame him. Iowa needs to up its game to stay competitive for in-state elite talent.

This is what I thought yesterday to and was going to comment. I think it has really changed in this past year and since he verbally committed.

Even though they are HS students, they, with the money involved are professionals now. It's totally different than when they are just getting scholarships. With the good,(money, fame, etc,) comes the not so good, (criticism, backlash, etc.)

Ding Ding Ding. Yea, I think they played Iowa for leveraging power. Good take.
I bet he's got an agent. How do you think those guys would be advising guys like him?... Because otherwise something changed the last week or so. This last visit he took to Bama was an unofficial. He'd already taken his official one there. Meaning he had to fork over the $ for the expenses. Or at least a collective did or whatever. The school itself couldn't. So for him to even do that to me means the deal was all but done before he even went.

I really think it was the game plan by the parents to play Oregon and Alabama and Iowa at the very last minute before signing day. They obviously were working to pit all together and get the best deal they could. It sure smells like that.

I bet he's got an agent. How do you think those guys would be advising guys like him?... Because otherwise something changed the last week or so. This last visit he took to Bama was an unofficial. He'd already taken his official one there. Meaning he had to fork over the $ for the expenses. Or at least a collective did or whatever. The school itself couldn't. So for him to even do that to me means the deal was all but done before he even went.
Why would he need to go then?

I’m done with this guy. I only want to hear about him when his mom sniffs around for more money every year. 100% he transfers at least once.
When rhe mamma isn't happy and posting Twitter garbage, there's no way this is going to end well (for Iowa)

These are the same parents, male and female, that @Fryowa and others deal with when coaching or officiating. Hell, she probably doesn't give two shits if he plays a down in the NFL, long as Saint Nick is "taking care of him"

Sad part about it, and probably for many other athletes too, is they would rather play in the league for the big, big bucks, and be happy with their schollies and perhaps a modest low four figure a month per diem.

Proctor, or perhaps more accurately his overbearing mother, may have his up front goods. But will that matter when it's gone and Saban recruits over him and starts the rinse and repeat cycle with the next recruit.

Wealth, in the amounts most us can't ever imagine, can be blown and poorly invested just as much as the 50-150k most if us make annualy. There are countless examples of athletes and celebrities blowing unimaginable Wealth and ending up bankrupt.

Even though they are HS students, they, with the money involved are professionals now. It's totally different than when they are just getting scholarships. With the good,(money, fame, etc,) comes the not so good, (criticism, backlash, etc.)
He could leave Alabama after four year owing the agents a lot of coin and end up never getting drafted. If he's accepting "cash advances" from agents, he's potentially setting himself up for a world of hurt.

I don't know why some of you are mad that he's not coming here.

He's shady, his mom's shady, and his mom has shown her cards that she's a helicopter parent who's going to be a gigantic pain in the ass to whatever program he lands at.

This is a blessing to find out now rather than later. Proctor reneging his commitment is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Saban has a stable completely full of 5 stars. He doesn't have to worry about Harriet Oleson...I mean Proctor's mom...because if she gets to the point of being annoying he can just ghost her. He's got plenty of 5 star linemen to fill in and plenty of layers of insulation between a player's mom and Fort Bryant-Denny.

At Iowa she would just be a gigantic pain in the dick jumping on twitter every time Kurt did something she didn't like.

This is a good thing. It's like finding out a car is a lemon before you buy it instead of 10,000 miles later.

Know a coach somewhat close to the situation and it sounds like the last month or so has been him (well, mom) playing Oregon and Alabama against each other in a bidding war. In his words, "with this offer, Bama basically said 'Oregon, we upped our offer, up yours' ".
All while using his commitment to Iowa as leverage... It's a business play that I'm sure he had advice from an agent to do. Makes all the sense in the world.

Anyone think an 18 yr old HS kid is smart and shrewd enough to come up with all that on his own? I can't see any of it being a coincidence. With the timing of his flirting with Oregon and visiting out there and then Bama and flipping. I just think he used the commitment to Iowa all this time as leverage knowing full well the big schools would still all come after him. He played Iowa is what he did. I'm sure his mom was driving the bus with an agent in their ear.

Last edited:
This is not good no matter how you look at it. Really bad timing with everything. You have a head coach hire his son as the offensive coordinator and the offense goes to shit. Now we lose one of the nations top recruits………… supposedly because the offense is rancid.

A big problem is that developmental schools under NIL have just been made secondary programs. The only way out of this mess is for Iowa to totally change the mode of operation.

Can any of us imagine Old Mule Kirk doing that???

As things stand we are screwed as a football program. Every time Iowa starts to DEVELOP a player the money schools can just come in and buy them up. You can’t stop it from happening.

Your only hope is for Iowa to fight fire with fire. Having Kirk and Brian here is like having wet matches.

Look at what has been going on here for twenty years. The money people that make the decisions on how this program operates have been happy with 8-4, 7-5 seasons. No conference championships since 2004. That’s going on 19 years.

Do you really think these fuddy duds are going to want to pony up millions of dollars to buy players all of the sudden???

There is going to have to be a size mic shift in mindset at Kinnick kingdom. Now it is possible with the expansion of the conference and with the Big Ten Network that hundreds of millions of dollars could come to all the schools in the Big Ten Conference to help finance the players?

Even so will Kirk and Brian’s DEVELOPMENTAL mindset work?? Seriously??? Keep in mind even if they develop any player at any position the money teams can just come in and buy them up.

What an effing train wreck.

Kid chooses another program over Iowa, so be it. He has to make the best choice for him.

Kid publicly says he's committed to Iowa, then reneges and goes with another team. Screw him.

As a homer Hawkeye fan I'm upset that the top recruit decommitted and decided to go elsewhere. Once the parent and more reasonable side of me kicks in I cannot get upset at a 18 year old kid who is making the decision on what's best for him. Maybe it winds up being a mistake, I made plenty of mistakes at his age.

I wish Proctor the best, I'm sure he's going through a lot right now and under a ton of pressure. Hopefully Iowa can backfill the scholarship with someone else who deserves it.

As a homer Hawkeye fan I'm upset that the top recruit decommitted and decided to go elsewhere. Once the parent and more reasonable side of me kicks in I cannot get upset at a 18 year old kid who is making the decision on what's best for him. Maybe it winds up being a mistake, I made plenty of mistakes at his age.

I wish Proctor the best, I'm sure he's going through a lot right now and under a ton of pressure. Hopefully Iowa can backfill the scholarship with someone else who deserves it.
He would be a net negative to the program though even if he came here.

Our OL sucks and as soon as we lose a few games and look bad, Mama Walton's going to be on Twitter starting wars with people and making shitty distractions for everyone involved. It'd be like Noah Fant's dipshit family times 1,000 because Proctor is a #1 recruit. We don't need that.

He could leave Alabama after four year owing the agents a lot of coin and end up never getting drafted. If he's accepting "cash advances" from agents, he's potentially setting himself up for a world of hurt.
What he could also do is just reopen his recruitment every yr and go to the highest bidder. Maybe Bama wins it again or every yr if he's worth having but maybe not. These guys are FAs every yr anyway.

He would be a net negative to the program though even if he came here.

Our OL sucks and as soon as we lose a few games and look bad, Mama Walton's going to be on Twitter starting wars with people and making shitty distractions for everyone involved. It'd be like Noah Fant's dipshit family times 1,000 because Proctor is a #1 recruit. We don't need that.
Noah, like Hockensen, is playing for a second contract. Fant has had a modest, not spectacular, year with Seattle but did at least escape a once proud franchise that is rapidly becoming one of the worst run in the league (Denver)

He needs to get with a coaching staff (Buffalo, Cincinnati, Dallas) that would know how to utilize his speed. He has never built off the promise of his rookie year and that because he seldom runs intermediate and deep routes up the seam. Jacksonville would be a great landing spot for him because Lawrence has an M16 for an arm and that team is coming. KC and San Francisco are obvious spots but there's adequate tight ends at both places. Arizona might not be bad but Kingsbury is kaput after this year and a new regime will be coming in.

Now if their new coach is Eric Bienemy?

Another angle to this that has not been mentioned is how this looks to other recruits. Could there be a snowball effect.

I can truly understand why this upsets the coaching staff so much and how they could respond badly. I mean, did they sell to Cade McNamara that they were going to have this 5* tackle coming to protect him. Now, I realize Cade's prob bought in and on campus, but man, this could be a promise from Iowa's staff that they cannot hold.

Then to think of the planning that the staff prob did around this recruit, again, I can understand if they are miffed about it and if things get a bit tense.

What he could also do is just reopen his recruitment every yr and go to the highest bidder. Maybe Bama wins it again or every yr if he's worth having but maybe not. These guys are FAs every yr anyway.
I thought they only get one "free" transfer, then must sit out a year.

I thought they only get one "free" transfer, then must sit out a year.
Yes. Many have found ways to skirt around that already a lot too though. Via injuries medical reasons etc. There's a dude I saw the other day that is getting a 9th yr or some shit. Makes what JBo did seem like nothing.

Latest posts