Poll: Who Regrets Buying Season Tickets?

Do You Regret Buying Season Tickets?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Blah

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I'm Selling Them

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
And then look at damn near every other school that uses the portal to help fill holes. The portal is the wave of the future, the coaches at Iowa need to start using it.
More often than not using the portal more than sparingly to fill a weak spot or two causes more chaos than anything. Look what happened to nebraska this year going to the portal. And they killed what little recruiting they have left by doing it.

If I’m an Iowa coach talking to a kid with offers from nebraska you can be goddamn sure I’m telling him that “nebraska doesn’t give a shit about you and they’ll just bring in transfers ahead of you anyway.“ And it’s proven.

From my perspective there are 3 types of student athletes.

There are the ones who grew up being a Hawkeye fan and that is their dream, these are the ones that should always be the focus of the team. We've seen Iowa get more out of these 2 and 3 star farm kids that grew up wanting to be a Hawkeye than some 4 stars.

Then you have a group, which is small, that want to come to Iowa because it is the right academic fit for them. These student athletes realize that playing at the next level is not very likely so they want to ensure they have a degree in the area they hope to some day go into whether or not professional sports happen for them. Like I said this group is small.

After that you have the group of student athletes that envision playing at the next level. These are typically the higher rated recruits that come in with high expectations. These are the ones that wind up in the transfer portal if they are not seeing the results on the field, either through coaching or lack of playing time. A lot of times they wind up picking a school based on the coaching staff and opportunities to play. Some times it's just not the right fit, for a variety of reasons and that's where the transfer portal comes into play. With the NIL you now add the wrinkle of financial gain to this group.

I hope Iowa is able to continuing to build it's program from the first 2 groups but to ignore that 3rd group is foolish as there are players in that transfer portal that could be a good fit and all it takes is the right coaching to maximize their potential. I see the transfer portal becoming more and more popular especially now with the NIL becoming popular. Iowa would be stupid to ignore the transfer portal. Damn near every game I watched I heard the broadcaster mention a player that transferred in from another program.

I might be missing different types of student athletes but, again, it's my perspective.

There is NO DOUBT the NIL now in play with pretty much "free agency" completely changes the transfer portal now. Players in the past were just seeking more playing time or better opportunities. Now, they will be seeking better deals/more $$$$$, which means top notch players are going to potentially leave for deals.

This happened to Iowa St. with their stud freshman basketball player. Iowa State had a great and successful year and he got a lot of PT as a freshman. Team culture and comrade seemed fine, so he really had no reason to transfer from a fans perspective, except for the $$$$$ deal.

It sucks, but is where we are at now.

Last edited:
So the answer is zero.
Better to struggle with no talent, than use the portal to shore up some weaknesses because it didn’t help Nebraska.

You obviously don't get the context of what was stated. We are talking about teams using the portal to build infrastructure for a team, not to just fill holes. Let me define infrastructure for you. It's the foundation of the team. You can either build the foundation with solid concrete or pebbles.

Purdue Offense say differently.
Destroying everything in their wake to the tune of 1-2. They have an incredibly easy schedule this year and will fight to the last week to get bowl eligible. Purdue is a loser, there’s nothing you, me or Charlie Jones can do about that.

Destroying everything in their wake to the tune of 1-2. They have an incredibly easy schedule this year and will fight to the last week to get bowl eligible. Purdue is a loser, there’s nothing you, me or Charlie Jones can do about that.
We'll see. 'Cuse is 3-0. PSU is 3-0. Purdue faired a bit better against a Mo Valley team than Iowa. We'll see.

Watch and weep. Does Iowa look like either of these teams?

No, Iowa looks way better IMO. Iowa has a way better D then either of those teams.
I will concede the D, but no, not way better overall.

Let me use a military analogy.
In battle, casualties are a direct correlation with contact with the enemy. Iowa on D has to play very aggressively to make up for the lack of O. Granted no one likely takes as much time off the clock on a 3 and out as Iowa, but Iowa's D as a result has a lot of intense action.

Injuries on D will mount up.

I will concede the D, but no, not way better overall.

Let me use a military analogy.
In battle, casualties are a direct correlation with contact with the enemy. Iowa on D has to play very aggressively to make up for the lack of O. Granted no one likely takes as much time off the clock on a 3 and out as Iowa, but Iowa's D as a result has a lot of intense action.

Injuries on D will mount up.
It's almost like you want that to happen, which is why we always end up at each others throats on here.

You obviously don't get the context of what was stated. We are talking about teams using the portal to build infrastructure for a team, not to just fill holes. Let me define infrastructure for you. It's the foundation of the team. You can either build the foundation with solid concrete or pebbles.
I understood the context. For your reference, here is the exchange:
InGoodCo said:
Take a look at their 18 and 19 classes - abominations, so many misses and attrition.
And how many OL did we bring in through the portal to address this?

The context was the (annual) excuse making for our poor OL play.
I did not advocate wholesale transfer portal rebuilding, ala Nebraska or Mich St. Just when and where we know we have real shortcomings, like one or two transfers to shore up this OL. For the reasons stated and known in advance.
We did nothing in the portal to address this specific need. Nothing.

I did not advocate wholesale transfer portal rebuilding, ala Nebraska or Mich St. Just when and where we know we have real shortcomings, like one or two transfers to shore up this OL. For the reasons stated and known in advance.
But it's not like Iowa hasn't dipped into the transfer portal before. They have. They've done it for O Line. They've done it recently. Because it didn't happen this year isn't going to be something I'm too worked up about. In general, Iowa has always done pretty well with roster management. I am way more concerned at what our WR situation is. They should have dipped into the portal there and I can't excuse it.

Well, here is the deal and what many fail to remember, including myself at times. I believe Div1 FBS teams are allowed 85 scholarships. Iowa currently has a really young OL unit on scholarship, so it's probably a numbers game and they've been manufacturing and coaching these guys all this time. Sometimes you just don't know what you have for players or if they are going to work out. There might be something there with experience, but at this time they have some deficits to work out.

Now, what are you going to do with all these young linemen you have on scholly's? Perhaps, they should have used the scholly's from Taylor and Jones to use on more linemen? The WR position has a depth issue now. That wouldn't work and would have gone over well with fans. You see where I am going? It is a complete numbers and roster spot/depth deal. They know the number at each position and how many scholly's they want for those positions. What are you going to do with all these young linemen, tell them to go and pound sand?? Ya can't go out to the portal if you don't have any scholly spots available to give right away. You have to have some open scholly's. What you going to do, politely ask them to walk on?

Going out to the portal and loading up on OL sounds good, but it just doesn't work that way because of the numbers and scholarships you are currently dealing with.

Last edited:
But it's not like Iowa hasn't dipped into the transfer portal before. They have. They've done it for O Line. They've done it recently. Because it didn't happen this year isn't going to be something I'm too worked up about. In general, Iowa has always done pretty well with roster management. I am way more concerned at what our WR situation is. They should have dipped into the portal there and I can't excuse it.
Totally agree about the WRs as well. We lost 4+ WR to the portal and did nothing to address that problem either.

My initial thought was the staff was either overconfident or too stubborn to use the portal to address the impending shortfall in talent. But the real issue may be worse. According to Scott Dochterman, we courted 2 QBs, one WR and a couple OL in the portal. They all declined playing for Iowa. The OL chose other B10 schools (Minnesota?).
Striking out in the portal seems like a bigger picture issue.

Well, here is the deal and what many fail to remember, including myself at times. I believe Div1 FBS teams are allowed 85 scholarships. Iowa currently has a really young OL unit on scholarship, so it's probably a numbers game and they've been manufacturing and coaching these guys all this time. Sometimes you just don't know what you have for players or if they are going to work out. There might be something there with experience, but at this time they have some deficits to work out.

Now, what are you going to do with all these young linemen you have on scholly's? Perhaps, they should have used the scholly's from Taylor and Jones to use on more linemen? The WR position has a depth issue now. That wouldn't work and would have gone over well with fans. You see where I am going? It is a complete numbers and roster spot/depth deal. They know the number at each position and how many scholly's they want for those positions. What are you going to do with all these young linemen, tell them to go and pound sand?? Ya can't go out to the portal if you don't have any scholly spots available to give right away. You have to have some open scholly's. What you going to do, politely ask them to walk on?

Going out to the portal and loading up on OL sounds good, but it just doesn't work that way because of the numbers and scholarships you are currently dealing with.
In the 2022 we had 7 transfers out / one in. So we have 6 "extra" scholarships available over and above normal attrition + recruiting.
In the 2021 we had 10 transfers out / one in. So we have 9 "extra" scholarships available over and above normal attrition + recruiting.
Not sure I buy your argument that a lack of scholarships is preventing Iowa from getting potential transfers.

I'm exaggerating, but we've had young line problems 7 of the last 4 years. And you do know what I'm talking about.

In the 2022 we had 7 transfers out / one in. So we have 6 "extra" scholarships available over and above normal attrition + recruiting.
In the 2021 we had 10 transfers out / one in. So we have 9 "extra" scholarships available over and above normal attrition + recruiting.
Not sure I buy your argument that a lack of scholarships is preventing Iowa from getting potential transfers.

That's a little unnerving.
Because watching college football, you hear a TON of "he's a transfer in from _______, where he had _________ (insert stats here)." As opposed to a "transfer out of ________ (insert JuCo name here)"

This portal thing is a huge new wrinkle that has to be managed.
It's going to cause a lot of heartache. One thing to lose Charlie Jones.
Another for my Mizzou son who is convinced Luther Burden is using his first year at Mizzou as a quick NIL grab (special edition Honey BBQ Red Hot Riplets? They are good) and a job interview for another school that can win.

I'd love to break Mizzou fan's hearts and see him transfer to Iowa.

But I guess my point is that just because there are open scholarships available, you might already be heavy with young players at a position or in a certain unit. Iowa typically doesn't have linemen leaving early besides to the draft which they can plan for. Most Iowa transfers are from the skill positions looking for more playing time.

So, even though there are scholarships available, a team isn't going to load up on a certain unit. I presume they have a certain number they would like for their positions. Again, they seem to have a number of young guys as linemen and pretty full at those positions. I'm sure they were/are banking on getting them squared away to perform, but just hasn't happened yet.