? For Those Of You Who Lost Taste And/Or Smell...

I'm at the point now that if I could taste it, I'd eat it.

I can see how someone would get suicidal if it was permanent. Before it happened to me I thought, "Man, that would suck."

Now that I've gone most of a week, it doesn't just suck, it's frickin' torture.

If it does happen to be permanent I'll probably just start buying Ensure or something like it in bulk and try to find some other hobby and social activity.

I'm sure it's going to come back at some point. As you pointed out with your data above, it's a very small % chance it does not.

The reporting of your experience is really hitting home though and makes us aware of how much we take for granted. Man it sucks.

The randomness of this thing is so weird how some are affected and at different levels.

I'm sure it's going to come back at some point. As you pointed out with your data above, it's a very small % chance it does not.

The reporting of your experience is really hitting home though and makes us aware of how much we take for granted. Man it sucks.

The randomness of this thing is so weird how some are affected and at different levels.
Not sure if you remember but way back when this whole thing started I posted that my uncle got it, he was 64, congestive heart failure, COPD, and a 45+ year smoker. He didn't even know he had it until he got tested before a pacemaker procedure. Said he was just tired for a couple days and had no symptoms. Never lost taste or smell. Shoulda killed a guy like that but he's still kickin' today.

Not sure if you remember but way back when this whole thing started I posted that my uncle got it, he was 64, congestive heart failure, COPD, and a 45+ year smoker. He didn't even know he had it until he got tested before a pacemaker procedure. Said he was just tired for a couple days and had no symptoms. Never lost taste or smell. Shoulda killed a guy like that but he's still kickin' today.

Prior to this even starting, we always said my stepmom was one bad illness away from prob not surviving. She was a lifelong smoker up until about 10 years ago when hospitalized and lucky to get out of the hospital. Severe emphysema on oxygen. Dr's always told her to do everything you can to not get sick because she wouldn't have the lung capacity to survive. Than this came along and we thought this could be it.

Well, both she and my father ended up getting it. Either was ever hospitalized and it was just a normal illness they battled. One would think my dad wouldn't have handled it well being massively overweight. Hell, he didn't lose his symptoms either. It's just weird that way. Stepmom still rockin the O2 everyday.

I did. Took about 3 wks to get fully back from the day I lost it.
3 weeks to the day would put me right on the first tailgate of the year. I do not wanna go to IC and watch thousands of people eating awesome food and not be able to participate.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed

I lost my smell but not my taste. I can't smell all that well anyway so it didn't really bother me. The only issue was I would throw out little testers and think I was good to go, so I'd let big ones rip and gas everyone out.

I lost my smell but not my taste. I can't smell all that well anyway so it didn't really bother me. The only issue was I would throw out little testers and think I was good to go, so I'd let big ones rip and gas everyone out.
Did your smell come back?

Have an aunt that got it @ 100 in assisted living center. Recovered.
Got it again @ 101. Recovered.
Just turned 102.

It's gunna come back at some point.

Sucks I don't still live up in northwest Iowa. I'd set up a rakfisk eating competition, put all of my money on Fry, and make a fortune. Dudes from Norwegian TV would fly over to see this human vacuum who can eat 2 pounds of rakfisk without so much as flinching.

Sucks I don't still live up in northwest Iowa. I'd set up a rakfisk eating competition, put all of my money on Fry, and make a fortune. Dudes from Norwegian TV would fly over to see this human vacuum who can eat 2 pounds of rakfisk without so much as flinching.
Never thought of that. There’s opportunities here.

Made spaghetti for supper for the kid and me, and I swear I can smell the faintest but of the sauce when I’m in my living room. When I go in the kitchen where it should be the strongest I get nothing. Weird.

Made spaghetti for supper for the kid and me, and I swear I can smell the faintest but of the sauce when I’m in my living room. When I go in the kitchen where it should be the strongest I get nothing. Weird.
Time for a come back!

Latest posts