Wow. Can we Play Any Better?

Izzo had a great comments about how the bench guards coming in and giving 10-12 minutes of energy and pushing the ball up the court was an unsung MVP of this team, and he joked about not knowing how Fran keeps 10 guys happy with some getting very limited minutes. As others have said, Fran does about as good a job of any in keeping these young egos in check and getting everyone to buy into team first. Winning makes that a lot easier.

A win in Lincoln seals a tourney bid.

And no. Other than perhaps PMAC needs to select and finish a smidge better, and JBO and Sandford should not throw up airballs, but beyond that, I am not sure we could ask the boys to play much better. That was an asskicking of a tournament team led by a HOF coach.

Izzo had a great comments about how the bench guards coming in and giving 10-12 minutes of energy and pushing the ball up the court was an unsung MVP of this team, and he joked about not knowing how Fran keeps 10 guys happy with some getting very limited minutes. As others have said, Fran does about as good a job of any in keeping these young egos in check and getting everyone to buy into team first. Winning makes that a lot easier.

I would bet trying to define and carving out roles for players and then getting them all to buy into it is tough for coaches. And Izzo mentioned Fran being a coach of the yr candidate for it. All these guys come from HS as the alpha males to the D1 level right? Well only a small few continue to be that most have to carve out a role be it ball handling, rebounding hustling come off the bench what have you. Players buy in/excel at it differently yet Fran is good at doing just that with his teams

4 new starters this yr pretty much. In some ways 5 if you consider they'd moved JBo to the 2 and he was playing a totally different position then he had been. Even if they'd hoped Keegan could be a stud I don't think they planned on or envisioned him being this since day 1 this yr pretty much. Season hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows but what season is? I guarantee that doing what Fran has had to do yr to yr isn't as easy he's made it look

In the past, the defense has always been Iowa's nemesis. The team D has been really good the past several games and they are rebounding much better not giving up extra possessions. Iowa typically scores enough, so those extra possessions along with Iowa turning teams over has been a difference. Lovin it!

JBO has been more physical on D. But has not picked up fouls, so he must be doing it right. I have also noticed that at times when a guy on D tries to man handle JBO, he has retaliated with some pretty aggressive play. Saw it three times tonight. No calls either way.
Hoggard got in JBo's face within the first 2 minutes of the game and JBO definitely stepped up. I think he is realizing how close to the finish line he is and probably for the first time in 3 years he is healthy.

Hoggard got in JBo's face within the first 2 minutes of the game and JBO definitely stepped up. I think he is realizing how close to the finish line he is and probably for the first time in 3 years he is healthy.
He was saying shit to Jo Bo. Problem is, Jo Bo thrives on that stuff and you ain't gunna rattle him. He's just performs better. That's the funny thing and really makes an opposing player look stupid when trying to trash-talk on a sucky team.

Can you imagine what the smack talk was?

"How is social security treating you?"

"Are you a doctor by now?"

"Is your head fully recovered?"

"I see you found new shoes."
"Are you a doctor now?" made me chuckle!

"How's your kid's?"

Man, this is a whole other Epic thread possibility.

Thread: Caption Opposing Player Trash Talk To Jordan Bohannon

Can you imagine what the smack talk was?

"How is social security treating you?"

"Are you a doctor by now?"

"Is your head fully recovered?"

"I see you found new shoes."
Or...

"Leave the Just For Men in a little longer. I can still see some gray"

"That really prune juice in your squirt bottle?"

"How's the new hip treating you?"

"Dude, you dropped your AARP card"

The D has really been there all year, but it's getting better. Bohannon at point, a great move. Improved play from so many including Rebraka (sp), Bohannon and even Keegan. Rebounding is now on the upswing. These boys are really rounding out as they go. Who knows, will need more consistency to see a big tournament run, but the chances are definitely improving.

I will go out on a limb, and say that this team makes a deep run in btt and the ncaa. Championship game and sweet sixteen. That is enough to keep Keegan here for another year with his brother and teammates.

Yep, I am not sure but he looks like he is not reaching on defense nearly as much, not getting off balance and scrambling but just good positional defense and let your teammates help you out.
Jordan has been playing good defense for about 4 or 5 games now. Coinciding with his move to PG and even before. He is anticipating so well right now getting into position before the offensive player makes their move. The whole team is communicating and the D is getting infectious.

I will go out on a limb, and say that this team makes a deep run in btt and the ncaa. Championship game and sweet sixteen. That is enough to keep Keegan here for another year with his brother and teammates.
no, that's not how it works, I wish it did.

Izzo nailed it. So did your post.

These players have settled into their roles and Fran has figured them out as well. 1st teams have to deal with Iowa's length when on offense, then the speed and quickness.

The announcer said, Iowa will face teams tht dont know them and we have a superstar that can carry us. That is a recipe for a final 4.

Latest posts