Wow. Can we Play Any Better?

Well of course it's a dream and nobody is going to just say it's all about the $. But end of the day it is what it is. If say the NIL $ was the same as NBA $ it'd make for some interesting decisions to be made for some kids. But even that's not apples to apples because the NBA contracts are multiple years long fully guaranteed and the NIL/college deals are all just year to year and no future security I'd bet
I’m going to take his dads word for it, none of us knows what’s important to Keegan but I’d say his dad has a better clue.

Yeah and going pro also allows for them to just live the lifestyle. Not having to go to school and take classes they may have zero interest in and the pressures with that isn't for everyone. Some kids just aren't interested in being students any longer than they have to and that's ok. Being a pro turns playing ball into a full-time gig with worrying about your brand as your 1-A full time gig.

Precisely, you can only have the college life experience one time when you are
just out of high school

It is a solid experience along the path in life

The "Stupid NET" is what the NCAA selection committee primarily uses for the brackets. And as I type this, the "7th place in the Mountain West Utah State" has a NET rating of 61 while the ACC Virginia has a NET rating of 82 (lower than Northwestern at 76). Currently Iowa is at 18; in the Big 10 only Purdue (11) and Illinois (14) are higher. Of course, it didn't help that Utah State's record when they lost their starting point guard to injury the game after Iowa and just got him back into the lineup earlier this week.
Read closer. I said stupid NET adherence not stupid NET. Automatically saying Utah State is better than Virginia because their NET is higher is just not true. Stupid for the announcer to go that way. It is to help the committee with selection. It is a tool and has a use but not the whole story that translates to real world outcomes.

I suppose Duke 65 -61 over Virginia means that Utah State would have beaten Duke cause they are 21 points higher in the NET and they have their starting guard back.

The Celtics signed Larry Bird to a contract when he was a junior in college

Don't think that is still possible

That would be the best of both worlds

Keegan could enjoy college life at Iowa and play with his brother ant the team
for another season

Garza stayed and benefited from the extra playing time and experience

Odds are that Keegan will go, and no one can question that

He and his family will be set for life

Can't get a refund on the Summer Vacation trip to Kiev

Oh Well
Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC, what happened was he was selected as a Jr. in a supplemental draft, something they no longer have today. He was eligible for that draft because he had transferred from Indiana to Indiana St. and had to sit out a year. That made him eligible for the supplemental draft that year. He did not sign a contract until he came out a year later, in 1979.

The Celtics, with Red Auerbach, were smart enough to draft him that way and so they held his rights the next year. The rest, as they say, is history!

I will go out on a limb, and say that this team makes a deep run in btt and the ncaa. Championship game and sweet sixteen. That is enough to keep Keegan here for another year with his brother and teammates.
I was thinking for awhile as well the fun of kicking ass with his brother next year might be enough to put off the NBA for a year, but have given up on that pipe dream. This lad is SO GOOD there is no way he is coming back.

It may actually get boring for him if he did, he is at another level we very seldom have seen at the U of I. He is going to be one hell of a pro and make us all proud. Glad we still have Murray 2 and gonna be a blast seeing him be the man. Its actually a good thing he was a bit behind in development.

I would agree that Jbo has played a lot better on the defensive side of the ball. Surprised that has happened actually. Think about it...we are multiple seasons in with Jbo and he finally is playing better D. What the hell took so long and what changed?

So the question is, is he really playing that better of D or is Iowa winning taking the attention off him. So if Iowa was losing, would fans be bitching about JoBo's D?

Iowa is winning so all is well. It's the same with criticism about a coach. Winning good. Losing coach sucks..

So the question is, is he really playing that better of D or is Iowa winning taking the attention off him. So if Iowa was losing, would fans be bitching about JoBo's D?

Iowa is winning so all is well. It's the same with criticism about a coach. Winning good. Losing coach sucks..
Well I watched him the other night be able to keep the man in front of him as where in the past Jbo would just be blown by. Couple of teams earlier in the year were trying to isolate Jbo down low and take advantage of his lack of size and defense, but that hasn't happened in a while. Overall, I think his defense the latter part of this season has improved. Someone earlier mentioned his past hip surgeries. I assume that was in reference to why he wasn't as quick on defense and that now he is 100% healthly. I guess only time will tell if he and the rest of the Hawks continue to bring the D. Someone also mentioned the line up change with Perkins moving in the starting line up. Perkins probably is assigned the toughest player to guard and that leaves Jbo with the other guard to match up with.

Well I watched him the other night be able to keep the man in front of him as where in the past Jbo would just be blown by. Couple of teams earlier in the year were trying to isolate Jbo down low and take advantage of his lack of size and defense, but that hasn't happened in a while. Overall, I think his defense the latter part of this season has improved. Someone earlier mentioned his past hip surgeries. I assume that was in reference to why he wasn't as quick on defense and that now he is 100% healthly. I guess only time will tell if he and the rest of the Hawks continue to bring the D. Someone also mentioned the line up change with Perkins moving in the starting line up. Perkins probably is assigned the toughest player to guard and that leaves Jbo with the other guard to match up with.
I do agree that he has been playing better on D. I was just asking for discussion.

I do agree that he has been playing better on D. I was just asking for discussion.
Probably just as simple as he sees the end of the road and he is gonna give the best effort. When the time is running out you get a bit more serious. Last chances and all that. :)

He definitely is, he is anticipating better than at any time in his career. He is beating his man to the spots on the floor and his switching has been seamless. He can still be overpowered but he is staying in front of his man. Now if he can teach Joe T to do that we got something cooking.

Well apparently we can play better. Yesterdays game was the best game i may have ever seen Iowa play. Talk about everything going in. I know it was Northwestern but if we can continue that play we are going to be playing for awhile.

Well apparently we can play better. Yesterdays game was the best game i may have ever seen Iowa play. Talk about everything going in. I know it was Northwestern but if we can continue that play we are going to be playing for awhile.

I don't want this to sound like an attack on you if you are young, but we played a better game against Marathon Oil in '86 I believe it was. Marathon Oil was a semi pro team sponsored by the fine folks at Marathon Oil and they were pretty good. Iowa just absolutely dismantled them.

I don't want this to sound like an attack on you if you are young, but we played a better game against Marathon Oil in '86 I believe it was. Marathon Oil was a semi pro team sponsored by the fine folks at Marathon Oil and they were pretty good. Iowa just absolutely dismantled them.
I would have been 4 in 86 so dont remember that game but believe it or not i do remember Marathon Oil.

I would have been 4 in 86 so dont remember that game but believe it or not i do remember Marathon Oil.

Oh, that's too bad. You were too young to remember all the great high water marks of the '80's in football and basketball. But, on the bright side, you have no actual memory of the Rose Bowl on January 1, 1986, where Ronald Harmon put the pill on the ground not one, not two, not three, not five, but four times. Ugh. Worst. Game. Ever.

Oh, that's too bad. You were too young to remember all the great high water marks of the '80's in football and basketball. But, on the bright side, you have no actual memory of the Rose Bowl on January 1, 1986, where Ronald Harmon put the pill on the ground not one, not two, not three, not five, but four times. Ugh. Worst. Game. Ever.
Fortunately and unfortunately there are full replays of these games. I grew up watching dozens of games on VHS in the 80s. My dad recorded everything.

It wasn't marathon Oil. It was Athletes In Action.