Wow. Can we Play Any Better?

Oh, did that stupid announcer last night say Utah State was the big earlier win for Iowa? 16-13 Utah State was better than at Virginia? Stupid NET adherence I guess. Let's see 7th place in the Mountain West Utah State be 11-6 in the ACC like Virginia is. Va was a road game vs. neutral court Utah State. Geez.

The "Stupid NET" is what the NCAA selection committee primarily uses for the brackets. And as I type this, the "7th place in the Mountain West Utah State" has a NET rating of 61 while the ACC Virginia has a NET rating of 82 (lower than Northwestern at 76). Currently Iowa is at 18; in the Big 10 only Purdue (11) and Illinois (14) are higher. Of course, it didn't help that Utah State's record when they lost their starting point guard to injury the game after Iowa and just got him back into the lineup earlier this week.

I will go out on a limb, and say that this team makes a deep run in btt and the ncaa. Championship game and sweet sixteen. That is enough to keep Keegan here for another year with his brother and teammates.
I highly doubt it. Kenyon has said Keegan’s dream is to play in the NBA. If Keegan is projected to be a first round pick he’s gone.

I will go out on a limb, and say that this team makes a deep run in btt and the ncaa. Championship game and sweet sixteen. That is enough to keep Keegan here for another year with his brother and teammates.
Sorry yo. No kid prioritizes NCAA glory over generational wealth in the NBA... As bad ass as that'd be Murray will be a top 10 pick in the NBA next yr may as well come to grips with it.

Sorry yo. No kid prioritizes NCAA glory over generational wealth in the NBA... As bad ass as that'd be Murray will be a top 10 pick in the NBA next yr may as well come to grips with it.
Bad news- Keegan will be a high pick, with millions on the table, he is gone. And thank you for putting your skills on display and putting Iowa on display, for once not getting blasted nationwide about our terrible defense (which some in the media cannot let go of no matter what).

Good news- Kris will be back and will shine. Maybe not to his brothers extent, but I am betting a cup of coffee and a donut that we have another 1st round draft pick next year.........

Based on what Kenyon has said it's not even about money, his dream is to play in the NBA. He said Armstrong told him there are only about 240 players that play regular minutes in the NBA (30 teams rotate about 8/9 players), to get into that top 240 is extremely tough and Keegan is right there. If Keegan is a 1st round pick, not even a lottery, he's gets a guaranteed NBA contract and will be on the team.

Obviously he's not going to turn down the money.

Bad news- Keegan will be a high pick, with millions on the table, he is gone. And thank you for putting your skills on display and putting Iowa on display, for once not getting blasted nationwide about our terrible defense (which some in the media cannot let go of no matter what).

Good news- Kris will be back and will shine. Maybe not to his brothers extent, but I am betting a cup of coffee and a donut that we have another 1st round draft pick next year.........

I don't see Keegan leaving for the NBA as bad news. Iowa hasn't had a 1st round pick since Ricky Davis and haven't had a regular contributor since Reggie Evans. Iowa getting someone into the NBA is huge for Iowa.

But you're dead on about Kris, he's going to step right into Keegan's role next year. He may not be able to use his right hand as well as his brother but he's a better shooter.

I think it is really a great coaching move to have Joe come off the bench. Takes the pressure off him and better utilizes his quickness bringing tremendous energy into the game. Also love the combination of Joe , Ulis Chris and keegan on the floor together.

I agree. The reason it works so well is that JoBo defends a bit different than Joe T or Uhlis. A less intensity or speed but solid enough defense, in general. So, an opposing player gets used to that to start the game, then when the opposing players may be a little more tired, in comes Joe T. and/or Uhlis to guard at a much different speed and intensity. This often causes turnovers. I like it.

Keegan is just soooo good. If we had one or two more wins he would be Big 10 player of the year easy. The supporting cast is coming together nicely down the stretch. The schedule sets up nice for us to go on a run too, with a huge game to end the regular season if we can keep it going.

They have a good mixture of different talent and role players.

And no. Other than perhaps PMAC needs to select and finish a smidge better, and JBO and Sandford should not throw up airballs, but beyond that, I am not sure we could ask the boys to play much better. That was an asskicking of a tournament team led by a HOF coach.

Sometimes even a missed shot is effective for a team. May not be points, but a defense still has to honor the shooter, even if air balling some. Yea, JoBo has air balled some this year, but a defense still can't afford to leave him open, which just opens up the middle more. Even though JoBo or eventually Sandfort will launch 3's from a distance or in transition helps to spread them out. Just the threat of being a shooting threat can be effective, if you will.

Last edited:
Jordan has been playing good defense for about 4 or 5 games now. Coinciding with his move to PG and even before. He is anticipating so well right now getting into position before the offensive player makes their move. The whole team is communicating and the D is getting infectious.

Am I wrong to say it goes back to the Minnesota game that Billy Taylor coached when Fran was out. Maybe it is just coincidence, but they seemed to be more locked in during and after that game. I think he even got into some players ears a bit during that game, including Bohannon.

Again, it might be total coincidence, but they are locked in defensively and rebounding more consistently since about that game.

The "Stupid NET" is what the NCAA selection committee primarily uses for the brackets. And as I type this, the "7th place in the Mountain West Utah State" has a NET rating of 61 while the ACC Virginia has a NET rating of 82 (lower than Northwestern at 76). Currently Iowa is at 18; in the Big 10 only Purdue (11) and Illinois (14) are higher. Of course, it didn't help that Utah State's record when they lost their starting point guard to injury the game after Iowa and just got him back into the lineup earlier this week.

So, I've been wondering how this works. How does Iowa, who just has 1 Quad 1 win, have such a high NET ranking? What is making Iowa's NET ranking relatively high?

I don't see Keegan leaving for the NBA as bad news. Iowa hasn't had a 1st round pick since Ricky Davis and haven't had a regular contributor since Reggie Evans. Iowa getting someone into the NBA is huge for Iowa.

But you're dead on about Kris, he's going to step right into Keegan's role next year. He may not be able to use his right hand as well as his brother but he's a better shooter.

It's never bad for recruiting to state we are having players leave early. What a recruit hears is that they are having success and they are developing players. Not a bad thing at all. It's the collateral damage a successful team has to deal with.

Based on what Kenyon has said it's not even about money, his dream is to play in the NBA. He said Armstrong told him there are only about 240 players that play regular minutes in the NBA (30 teams rotate about 8/9 players), to get into that top 240 is extremely tough and Keegan is right there. If Keegan is a 1st round pick, not even a lottery, he's gets a guaranteed NBA contract and will be on the team.

Obviously he's not going to turn down the money.
Well of course it's a dream and nobody is going to just say it's all about the $. But end of the day it is what it is. If say the NIL $ was the same as NBA $ it'd make for some interesting decisions to be made for some kids. But even that's not apples to apples because the NBA contracts are multiple years long fully guaranteed and the NIL/college deals are all just year to year and no future security I'd bet

JBO has been more physical on D. But has not picked up fouls, so he must be doing it right. I have also noticed that at times when a guy on D tries to man handle JBO, he has retaliated with some pretty aggressive play. Saw it three times tonight. No calls either way.
I would agree that Jbo has played a lot better on the defensive side of the ball. Surprised that has happened actually. Think about it...we are multiple seasons in with Jbo and he finally is playing better D. What the hell took so long and what changed?

I would agree that Jbo has played a lot better on the defensive side of the ball. Surprised that has happened actually. Think about it...we are multiple seasons in with Jbo and he finally is playing better D. What the hell took so long and what changed?
Two surgeries? Being surrounded by better defenders? I'm sure both play a role. Could also be effort, as somebody else mentioned he realizes his career is coming to an end and he wants to leave everything on the floor.

Am I wrong to say it goes back to the Minnesota game that Billy Taylor coached when Fran was out. Maybe it is just coincidence, but they seemed to be more locked in during and after that game. I think he even got into some players ears a bit during that game, including Bohannon.

Again, it might be total coincidence, but they are locked in defensively and rebounding more consistently since about that game.

The team was definitely different under Billy Taylor, for certain

His substitution patterns were more productive

And the adjustments were quite nice

The patterns appear to be in place with Fran now

So, I've been wondering how this works. How does Iowa, who just has 1 Quad 1 win, have such a high NET ranking? What is making Iowa's NET ranking relatively high?

Perhaps because despite the final score

We have been close in most games

WIthout Keegan @ Purdue we came back and could have won the game
with a break of two

Painter in the post-game said that the Hawks were the tougher team and
handed out accolades for the team and Fran

He was gracious in defeat

I love Painter's Hair, It Rules

Against the Illini with COCKburn we came back and made them sweat

Last season against Illinois the Illini assistant coaches were give Fran the
business,, and wouldn't shake his hand, there were getting in his face

He turned aound and shuffled the Lads to the locker room

No Nonsense Fran McCaffrey

Well of course it's a dream and nobody is going to just say it's all about the $. But end of the day it is what it is. If say the NIL $ was the same as NBA $ it'd make for some interesting decisions to be made for some kids. But even that's not apples to apples because the NBA contracts are multiple years long fully guaranteed and the NIL/college deals are all just year to year and no future security I'd bet

The Celtics signed Larry Bird to a contract when he was a junior in college

Don't think that is still possible

That would be the best of both worlds

Keegan could enjoy college life at Iowa and play with his brother ant the team
for another season

Garza stayed and benefited from the extra playing time and experience

Odds are that Keegan will go, and no one can question that

He and his family will be set for life

Can't get a refund on the Summer Vacation trip to Kiev

Oh Well

The Celtics signed Larry Bird to a contract when he was a junior in college

Don't think that is still possible

That would be the best of both worlds

Keegan could enjoy college life at Iowa and play with his brother ant the team
for another season

Garza stayed and benefited from the extra playing time and experience

Odds are that Keegan will go, and no one can question that

He and his family will be set for life

Can't get a refund on the Summer Vacation trip to Kiev

Oh Well
Yeah and going pro also allows for them to just live the lifestyle. Not having to go to school and take classes they may have zero interest in and the pressures with that isn't for everyone. Some kids just aren't interested in being students any longer than they have to and that's ok. Being a pro turns playing ball into a full-time gig with worrying about your brand as your 1-A full time gig.