Merged - Big 12 Aftermath Thread

I get that. I'm not an expert on contract law, but I am sure there are loopholes lawyers can find somewhere that if Carolina, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. want out they can get out. It may be pricey, but they can get out.
I think it is so pricey to make it near impossible.

Is that a sexy sell to Ohio St.? Virginia and Kansas? Remember this is all about football. All of this would be a lot easier if Penn. St. and Michigan were a legit threat to OSU. Then you could absorb Kansas, ISU or whoever.

Why does the Big Ten have to sell anything to Ohio State? If it was all about football then why in the hell did they add Maryland and Rutgers? I get football is the big money maker for the Big Ten but mens basketball produces revenue for the conference as well. Maryland and Rutgers got added for nothing more than geographic footprint New York, DC, and Baltimore markets.

Kansas wouldn't give the conference a sexy footprint. Adding Wichita and Kansas City markets is nothing compared to NY, Baltimore, and DC but they would help strengthen the basketball revenues and they would add to the academic side to the conference, there is a ton of money in research.

I just threw out Virginia, my thought is they would have to add someone from the east coast to keep the league balanced. I remember there has been talk of going after North Carolina.

Iowa State is strong this year, but where will they be the year after Campbell is lured away? Just another win for Iowa every year? The West doesn't need another cella

r dweller.

B10 would geologically b the most natural fit however I don’t think it would b good for the Hawks. There are only 3 states in the B10 that have 2 B10 schools in them. Michigan, Indiana, & Illinois. Indiana’s population is 6.7 million. Michigan is 9.9 million. Illinois is 12.6 million. Iowa’s population..............a mire 3.1 million. I don’t think having both schools in the same conference would b a good thing.
That sounds important but it is not. If Iowa got most of ISU local player, it wouldn't make much diff. IL gets raided by everyone. Indiana gets raided by Notre Dame and others. Michigan and Ohio have the Mac. Ohio has Cincinnatti. Pennsylvania gets raided by everyone and so it goes. Iowa pulls a lot form Wisc and some from MN. Iowa doesn't really utilized DM.

My HS was a power against bigger schools. They wanted out and play similar sized schools. It was a disaster and didn't go that well. Bring them on. Will be fun and might spike interest. Kind of getting boring seeing OSU in east, getting beat by PSU and losing to NW and Wisconsin. Over 10 years, I imagine that Little OSU, KSU, KU and ISU between them will put together a pretty good team and another decent team each year.

Remember Iowa scheduling KSU and CO when both were "easy wins" that weren't? Bring em on.

Why does the Big Ten have to sell anything to Ohio State? If it was all about football then why in the hell did they add Maryland and Rutgers? I get football is the big money maker for the Big Ten but mens basketball produces revenue for the conference as well. Maryland and Rutgers got added for nothing more than geographic footprint New York, DC, and Baltimore markets.

Kansas wouldn't give the conference a sexy footprint. Adding Wichita and Kansas City markets is nothing compared to NY, Baltimore, and DC but they would help strengthen the basketball revenues and they would add to the academic side to the conference, there is a ton of money in research.

I just threw out Virginia, my thought is they would have to add someone from the east coast to keep the league balanced. I remember there has been talk of going after North Carolina.

Why does the Big Ten have to sell anything to OSU? Because from a sports standpoint they will be running the conference. Kevin Warren(14 school presidents) don't have the nutsack at this point to stand up to them. All it would take would be OSU to look around and see what 5-7 non-Big Ten schools are making revenue wise and go, " what the F". The odds of that happening are really high. As an Iowa fan are we going to be in the same boat as ISU fan currently is ..... I don't know, 2027?

If you think the landscape is the same as it was in '09-10, then I don't know what to tell you. Adding those East Coast teams doesn't solve everything, but the B1G has to be aggressive and forward thinking about this.

Last edited:
Why does the Big Ten have to sell anything to OSU? Because from a sports standpoint they will be running the conference. Kevin Warren(14 school presidents) don't have the nutsack at this point to stand up to them. All it would take would be OSU to look around and see what 5-7 non-Big Ten schools are making revenue wise and go, " what the F". The odds of that happening are really high. As an Iowa fan are we going to be in the same boat as ISU fan currently is ..... I don't know, 2027?

If you think the landscape is the same as it was in '09-10, then I don't know what to tell you. Adding those East Coast teams doesn't solve everything, but the B1G has to be aggressive and forward thinking about this.

No, Ohio State is NOT running the show in the Big Ten. What are they going to do, bolt for the SEC??? Their fan base would have a HUGE uproar if that were to happen. They would go from a power football program that smacks everyone around every year to just another good football team in the SEC. They are making money hand over fist in the Big Ten, they have zero reason to start trying to push the others around.

No, Ohio State is NOT running the show in the Big Ten. What are they going to do, bolt for the SEC??? Their fan base would have a HUGE uproar if that were to happen. They would go from a power football program that smacks everyone around every year to just another good football team in the SEC. They are making money hand over fist in the Big Ten, they have zero reason to start trying to push the others around.

So if the 3rd or 4th place SEC West football team's athletic department is generating 150 million dollars in revenue, you think OSU will be okay generating 120? Adding just the Big 12 leftovers will lead to exactly that. OSU doesn't need a landing spot, all they have to do is bitch and make threats and the B1G will cater to them. You need a school football wise in the conference that can check them and there is no one.

In 2009,2010 I was 1000% behind your argument. I was all about the bullshit of the B1G having stability and being equal partners. Now I am strictly about how do you counter, how does Iowa long term stay relevant.

This is pretty simple. The BIG only invites teams they think will grow their tv revenue. ISU doesn’t so that’s that. In all honesty

Not a rip on ISU but what do they bring, good engineering but nothing else. To be honest if Iowa wasn't in the Big would anyone be knocking on Iowa's door? Bringing in ISU is not gonna happen. Kansas maybe, Oklahoma would be awesome. West Virginia, because of geography, Notre Dame doesn't have to worry now they will always have a spot in the playoffs now with the expansion. If Texas jumps the Big 12 the Big 10 will cherry pick the leftover teams.

So if the 3rd or 4th place SEC West football team's athletic department is generating 150 million dollars in revenue, you think OSU will be okay generating 120? Adding just the Big 12 leftovers will lead to exactly that. OSU doesn't need a landing spot, all they have to do is bitch and make threats and the B1G will cater to them. You need a school football wise in the conference that can check them and there is no one.

In 2009,2010 I was 1000% behind your argument. I was all about the bullshit of the B1G having stability and being equal partners. Now I am strictly about how do you counter, how does Iowa long term stay relevant.

Have you seen any sign of this occurring? Ohio State isn't going anywhere.

In a perfect world, I would like to see the B10 jettison Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers. Add ND for a 12 team conference and stand pat.
Not going to happen, but I can hope....

It is Sunday AM and those interested in this topic either write about who the Big Ten should add or should ISU be admitted to the Big Ten. A lot has to happen before either of those get an answer. It is not a forgone conclusion that both Oklahoma and Texas will become members of the SEC. If they are admitted it will be 2025(?) before they begin play.

The Big Ten does not need to rush into adding any new members. Quite frankly it is not in the interest of any of the original 10 members to add two more teams in the same geographic footprint. You are just adding two more teams to recruit against and diluting the revenue. Along with the recruiting argument, interest in college football has diminished. Audience growth and attendance is waning.

Managing the schedules for 14 members is difficult enough. Adding 2, 4, or 6 members just complicates matters. This fall and every fall each team will play 9 conference members. That leaves four members you won't play. Adding two mean six members you won't play. Current football schedules are unbalanced and most likely become more unbalanced. Basketball scheduling would not be any better.

This does not need to be a war with the SEC. This is a conflict between media giants; ESPN and FOX. People who are hired by the conference need to be cognizant about the ramifications of adding members to please a media giant. The Big Ten is much more than a bunch of football programs. Letting Disney and Fox dictate what is important to them over the wishes of the alumni and fans has to be a consideration.

What if this happened? This would be an interesting development and one I wouldnt mind seeing played out.
If this happened any add to the conference would be balanced. Add Pitt, WV Kansas, ISU, Cincinnati, Colorado, Utah and KSU.

Thats a solid conference that stretches almost the entire country and hits a lot of Metro areas.

As an Iowa fan, why should we cheer on any favors to bail out ClownU in their potential time of distress? Let them join the MAC or Mountain West.

As an Iowa fan, why should we cheer on any favors to bail out ClownU in their potential time of distress? Let them join the MAC or Mountain West.

10 years ago I was right there with you 1000% . This feels different. The luxury I felt Iowa having stability and being “equal partners” in the B1G back then doesn’t feel that way now.

Really not comfortable with how this is going to ultimately play out from a Iowa perspective.

What if this happened? This would be an interesting development and one I wouldnt mind seeing played out.
If this happened any add to the conference would be balanced. Add Pitt, WV Kansas, ISU, Cincinnati, Colorado, Utah and KSU.

Thats a solid conference that stretches almost the entire country and hits a lot of Metro areas.

How about Oklahoma State? https://dailycaller.com/2021/07/25/...spid=kO88ouBDFBGNFQ20tB7QO25nkiUgKqVI8jYiAws_