Merged - Big 12 Aftermath Thread

honestly it really sucks. I can’t help but reminisce about all of the great times my wife and I, then my kids and I have had following Iowa State. I could tell a million stories of just hilarious and fun adventures we’ve had.

it seems like it’s all ending and it’s a bummer because a lot of the traveling and fun we’ve had has been around the team and it’s been a huge part of my life for 20 years. Basically my entire adult life. My wife and I have been doing it together the whole way. Just real bummed.

Even though I find a faction of your fan base super annoying I really hope ISU finds a good landing spot.

You're right. Utah and Colorado would probably be calls #1 and #2. Well, of course they'll call Notre Dame first but get told no for the 10,000,000th time, then after that they'll call the Pac 10 teams. The Pac 10 is a dumpster fire because of the low value of the media rights. They honestly might have to sever some of the conferences for football and the other sports.
Actually Notre Dame has to join the ACC in all sports if they join a conference before 2036. That was part of the agreement they made to have appearances on the ACC network

Posters keep bringing up academics. Iowa is a lot closer to KSU, KU, OSU than the west schools of WI, IL, and MN and it's not close. OSU and KSU are also land grants which also is what MN, IL, and WI are.

OSU and KSU are arguably on par with Iowa on BB and Football by a number of measures.

What we are really seeing is the slow death of college sports as we know it.

Why in the hell did you just take the opportunity to knock Iowa???? Iowa isn’t trying to get into the Big Ten, it’s the other schools and academics are a part of it. If Iowa was on the outside looking in they wouldn’t have a shot in hell at getting in but not because of academics. But Iowa is already in the Big Ten, they sure in the hell are not getting kicked out.

Actually Notre Dame has to join the ACC in all sports if they join a conference before 2036. That was part of the agreement they made to have appearances on the ACC network
Oh shit, I hadn't heard that. So maybe the ACC will try to pull them in and maybe add West Virginia for geography. Maybe KU to solidify hoops chops. Man, the Big Ten is not sitting in a great position of strength on some of these issues.

Yeah, I get it. It sucks and while I find it absolutely hilarious on some level because I really hate ISU, another part of me realizes it could easily happen to Iowa and possibly will within my lifetime.

The world started changing big as the phrase "sports business" worked its way into the lexicon. Nothing's just for fun anymore. Take something like baseball cards. 35, 40 cents a pack when I was a kid. The whores in the MLBPA realized the licensing gold mine they had, flooded the market, helped puff a bubble that burst in no small part due to the '94 strike, and now cards are like five bucks a pack and they've changed the entire hobby from collecting a set of cards to trying to find a limited edition card in each pack and flipping it for 2 grand. It was a hobby and now it's basically a gambling addiction.

The colleges are massively on the take as well. Hell, I'd be interested to know how much you've seen your ticket prices go up over the years. We used to go to ISU games every now and then when I was a kid and it was just a good time. The teams sucked but the tailgates were cool and people were just out there to have fun. Now it's like a fucking trip to Disney, but with an upper crust set of club and luxury seating to sell to companies and shit.

College football is great in no small part because of the regional rivalries. It's also great because of the David v. Goliath games, like Iowa pisspounding OSU 55-24 a few years ago or Iowa knocking PSU out of the title hunt in 2008 or that game (I forget the year) where ISU beat Oklahoma State when T. Boone had bought all those star players and OSU was basically a freaking lock for the title game or that game in the '90's where that terrible Jim Walden ISU team beat Nebraska. I really hope the powers that be can concoct something because if you guys get stuck in a conference with all the leftovers plus two current G5 teams that will be a near death sentence for all the teams in the conference and you guys don't deserve that.

My first Iowa State tickets I think were 250.00 per ticket for the season 15 years ago because there was a deal if you were under 30. Now they are like 475.00 plus a pretty decent donation.

As for us ending up in a G5 league, that’s basically going to happen and I’ll get to enjoy watching Iowa State play Tulsa in a game nobody GAF about on Thursday night on ESPN+.

Why in the hell did you just take the opportunity to knock Iowa???? Iowa isn’t trying to get into the Big Ten, it’s the other schools and academics are a part of it. If Iowa was on the outside looking in they wouldn’t have a shot in hell at getting in but not because of academics. But Iowa is already in the Big Ten, they sure in the hell are not getting kicked out.
Truth hurts. Big sports is about money. I love Iowa but not going to ignore reality.

Iowa State is strong this year, but where will they be the year after Campbell is lured away? Just another win for Iowa every year? The West doesn't need another cellar dweller.

My first Iowa State tickets I think were 250.00 per ticket for the season 15 years ago because there was a deal if you were under 30. Now they are like 475.00 plus a pretty decent donation.

As for us ending up in a G5 league, that’s basically going to happen and I’ll get to enjoy watching Iowa State play Tulsa in a game nobody GAF about on Thursday night on ESPN+.

Well, it will be better than paying UT $50 to stream the game from them on a glitchy feed that barely works.

Truth hurts. Big sports is about money. I love Iowa but not going to ignore reality.

Truth isn't necessary here, this isn't about IOWA they are already IN the Big Ten. There is zero reason to dog on the school you supposedly root for. The schools that are potentially looking for an Big Ten invite are Kansas, KSU, OSU, and Iowa State...it's going to be THEIR academics and TV footprint (money) that they will be looking at, not Iowa.

There are also some suggestions that college football will go the the NFL model with 32 teams in a league.
That would put Iowa on the edge of not being in the big time, I would imagine.

If they went that route, I would hope that college football will adopt the soccer model of relegation.

There are also some suggestions that college football will go the the NFL model with 32 teams in a league.
That would put Iowa on the edge of not being in the big time, I would imagine.

If they went that route, I would hope that college football will adopt the soccer model of relegation.

Nah, they will never do that. It would eliminate the cannon fodder. They can't do it. I think we morph into 4 superconferences and the NCAA has no say in big league football.

Truth isn't necessary here, this isn't about IOWA they are already IN the Big Ten. There is zero reason to dog on the school you supposedly root for. The schools that are potentially looking for an Big Ten invite are Kansas, KSU, OSU, and Iowa State...it's going to be THEIR academics and TV footprint (money) that they will be looking at, not Iowa.
Point is that academics has nothing to do with it. Show my how in todays world that makes sense?

The Big has a couple of high end academia's.

NW and UM

IL, OSU, MN, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, WI are all at another level.

PSU is sort of on their own.

IU, Iowa, NE and MSU are at another level really about equal. Iowa is likely in the middle of those four with MSU barely and Ne below.

KSU, KU, ISU are not much below Iowa and then there is the other OSU. Not dogging, but just don't think for a second those that academics keeps them out. There is NO correlation.

If the Big could snap up KU's BB don't think for a minute they wouldn't.

Also, Iowa and ISU are pretty much mandated to take about ALL likely capable students. The other states have a number of 2ndary public U's for those who want to go due to programs, location or grades not just there. An A/B student with a 24/25 act in HS likely isn't getting into many programs at a school like IL. It just isn't likely happening. Iowa is filled with those students from IL and likely anyone close to a B average and an ACT 21 or over. Iowa in Law and Medicine...different story and they pull up Iowa's ranking.

I"m glad Iowa accepts those students from Iowa and other states. Ironically the best student in IL's top ranked mech eng program that aren't Chinese are oft jr college transfers that grew up post HS and can do math.

The world is changing. College sports is shrinking. The Big isn't going to leave out some schools as they will be foreced to grow. They will take KU before even thinking about Ohio when they have to expand. Those schools won't always be left on the table.

Iowa State is strong this year, but where will they be the year after Campbell is lured away? Just another win for Iowa every year? The West doesn't need another cellar dweller.
Umm per their records, ISU has done pretty well. Not every year.

OMFG...I hope there is no way this is true. Not sure who this guy is, but apparently he was correct in saying Leipold was going to be the next Kansas coach after Miles was fired.

Mike Vernon
@M_Vernon

There is a sense that Iowa State is involved with the Big Ten as well. KU has the head start here and would be trying to bring ISU along, if anything.

BG0GMDBX_mini.jpg

Mike Vernon

@M_Vernon
KU REALIGNMENT HEARINGS: KU has a call set up with the Big Ten.

Point is that academics has nothing to do with it. Show my how in todays world that makes sense?

The Big has a couple of high end academia's.

NW and UM

IL, OSU, MN, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, WI are all at another level.

PSU is sort of on their own.

IU, Iowa, NE and MSU are at another level really about equal. Iowa is likely in the middle of those four with MSU barely and Ne below.

KSU, KU, ISU are not much below Iowa and then there is the other OSU. Not dogging, but just don't think for a second those that academics keeps them out. There is NO correlation.

If the Big could snap up KU's BB don't think for a minute they wouldn't.

Also, Iowa and ISU are pretty much mandated to take about ALL likely capable students. The other states have a number of 2ndary public U's for those who want to go due to programs, location or grades not just there. An A/B student with a 24/25 act in HS likely isn't getting into many programs at a school like IL. It just isn't likely happening. Iowa is filled with those students from IL and likely anyone close to a B average and an ACT 21 or over. Iowa in Law and Medicine...different story and they pull up Iowa's ranking.

I"m glad Iowa accepts those students from Iowa and other states. Ironically the best student in IL's top ranked mech eng program that aren't Chinese are oft jr college transfers that grew up post HS and can do math.

The world is changing. College sports is shrinking. The Big isn't going to leave out some schools as they will be foreced to grow. They will take KU before even thinking about Ohio when they have to expand. Those schools won't always be left on the table.

Academics is a box that has to be checked whether you realize it or not, where the current schools of the Big Ten are ranked is irrelevant as they are already IN the conference. They are not going to let just any school into the BTAA. It's not THEE deciding factor on whether they get into the conference or not, the money is but it's still a box that has to be checked.

Kansas is a blue blood in basketball and there is no way they'd take both KSU and Kansas. Kansas would also be a good fit because they are one of the leading universities in cancer research, which would be an asset to the Big Ten Cancer research consortium.

Everything else aside, from a rivalry standpoint, I would't mind bringing KU and ISU into the Big Ten.

As a fan it wouldn't bother me if Iowa State was in the Big Ten but it makes no sense to add them. They offer zero revenue to the BTN, adding them would mean smaller shares for the rest of the schools. They are fine academically but I don't think they are a match for the BTAA.

Kansas, however, is a perfect match. You add in their geography footprint and I would think they pay for themselves adding the Kansas City and Wichita markets. But Kansas is also well known for their cancer research so they would be a great fit on the academic side with the Big Ten cancer research consortium.

I would think if the Big Ten is looking to add they'd add a member on the eastern side along with one on the western side. Virginia?

Dont have the tweet handy, but @brucefeldmancfb is saying there may be a Pac12/Big12 merger into a 20 team super league.

The B1G better get busy or they are going to miss the boat.

And no to KU and ISU. That goes against everything they said when they invited Maryland and Rutgers.

But the pickings are slim right now.