Cincinatti vs Iowa prediction thread

And the winner is...

• Cincinatti

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Iowa

Votes: 44 88.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know it would suck for the players but we got to start mixing in a cupcake during finals week . We are fortunate Cincy is horrible after taking a week off from competition

In years past we would have lost this game. A good test for this team during a lull in the schedule. I like how the team came out and then finished. This team could make some noise in the B1G. I see an upset or 2 and a top 6 finish in conference.

Hard to feel great about anything in this one but sometimes you just have to win ugly.

Evelyn showed that he has a lot more in him that what we had seen thus far. That’s huge for the depth of this team. Despite Toussaint’s horrible night we’ve seen what he can do on several occasions, he will be alright.

I thought Fran didn’t help Toussaint at all in this one. Okay he made a couple turnovers early I’m fine yanking him, but not putting him back in until under two minutes in the first half was damn near criminal. You want to completely take a player out of the flow of the game that’s the way to do it, and it’s not like Joe T was the only guy with silly turnovers.

Flush that one and move on. Iowa’s 3pt shooting won us another game, and that a luxury we have with this team.

Last edited:
Hard to feel great about anything in this one but sometimes you just have to win ugly.

Evelyn showed that he has a lot more in him that what we had seen these far. That’s huge for the depth of this team. Despite Toussaint’s horrible night we’ve seen what he can do on several occasions, he will be alright.

I thought Fran didn’t help Toussaint at all in this one. Okay he made a couple turnovers early I’m fine yanking him, but not putting him back in until under two minutes in the first half was damn near criminal. You want to completely take a player out of the flow of the game that’s the way to do it, and it’s not like Joe T was the only guy with silly turnovers.

Flush that one and move on. Iowa’s 3pt shooting won us another game, and that a luxury we have with this team.
Toussaint had three fouls and three turnovers in four minutes.

There was no getting into the flow for Joe tonight. He took a step backwards, hopefully a temporary one. He would have fouled out before he played ten minutes.

Toussaint had three fouls and three turnovers in four minutes.

There was no getting into the flow for Joe tonight. He took a step backwards, hopefully a temporary one. He would have fouled out before he played ten minutes.
It clearly wasn’t his night, but not getting him any run until less than two minutes less in the half, and I think even then he only got put in for defense is a great way to kill his confidence and take him out of any chance of getting into the game in my opinion. But yes Joe needs to flush this one and move on, there will be better days ahead.

Garza had another great game, despite not putting up monster scoring. He did a decent job avoiding foul trouble for the most part, although I did think he had a couple lazy ones there. Anyway he had 5 blocked shots and a bunch of rebounds. That’s awesome. The attention he draws in the post also led to some open shots for us as well.

Can I do another CJF shoutout? I felt like he was forced into some tough shots and now looking at the box score I see he has another game above 50% from the floor and goes 50% (3-6) from 3. 50% from deep actually lowers his average, that’s how good he’s been. The efficiency he is scoring with right now is incredible.

Him and Wieskamp make quite the pair. Similar styles in many ways, but both a little unique as well. Both guys can stroke it. Fredrick has that savvy and Wieskamp has that length that allows him to score inside at times. Pretty fun watching those two.

If Wieskamp just improves his ball handling a little bit he will be a 1st team conference player next year and average 20 per game. It's his handle that holds him back so much from getting to the rack. The times he has control of the ball, he makes it look easy.

They sure did and I fear Cincy really exposed us post Bohannon.

B1G wings are athletic enough to keep Wiescamp and CJ in check and they know how to get Garza in foul trouble. We sure took a step backwards tonight in the basketball IQ department. Like about eight of them.

Not sure Cinci is as bad as you make them out to be.. They have a bad loss or two but who doesn't? Not many.
I believe they just pounded 21st ranked Tenn. Beat the crap out of Drake (10-03). Lost a tough one to Xavier who is pretty damn good.

Iowa had a sloppy game after finals week and won. I find it hard to be upset about a win, away from home, against a legitimate opponent. Iowa was favored by 2.5 and won by 7. Cinci exposed nothing except the fact that a team can throw a couple 7 footers at Garza and he still puts up a double-double and that Iowa has the toughness and cool to win a game after blowing a 15 point lead.

It clearly wasn’t his night, but not getting him any run until less than two minutes less in the half, and I think even then he only got put in for defense is a great way to kill his confidence and take him out of any chance of getting into the game in my opinion. But yes Joe needs to flush this one and move on, there will be better days ahead.
IMO if Fran would have stuck with Joe T, Iowa probably loses the game. So, while it stunk he didn’t stick with Joe so he would get his feet wet, that’s probably something you do against roast beef state at home, not against Cinci. I suppose some will say Joe T’s play forced him to find out Bakari has more game. Fran often times forced to find things out

Can I do another CJF shoutout? I felt like he was forced into some tough shots and now looking at the box score I see he has another game above 50% from the floor and goes 50% (3-6) from 3. 50% from deep actually lowers his average, that’s how good he’s been. The efficiency he is scoring with right now is incredible.

Him and Wieskamp make quite the pair. Similar styles in many ways, but both a little unique as well. Both guys can stroke it. Fredrick has that savvy and Wieskamp has that length that allows him to score inside at times. Pretty fun watching those two.
Is it just me or does CJF look like he is going to make every shot when the ball leaves his hand? Fun to watch.

IMO if Fran would have stuck with Joe T, Iowa probably loses the game. So, while it stunk he didn’t stick with Joe so he would get his feet wet, that’s probably something you do against roast beef state at home, not against Cinci. I suppose some will say Joe T’s play forced him to find out Bakari has more game. Fran often times forced to find things out
Obviously Joe T had nothing going last night. It happens. Fran with the quick yank made sense to me. He needs to figure things out against Kennesaw and build the confidence back quickly as the stretch in January is not going to be easy.

You do that by having everyone shoot a fucking thousand free throws until they learn how to make them.
You have to simulate the game environment somewhat and put some pressure on them to concentrate.

I did some assistant coaching years ago. One of my practice rules was that you didn't hit the showers until after you made three in a row right after sprinting the floor.

They would run as two groups to opposite ends of the floor, then take turns going to the line. If they hit three, it was off to the showers. If not, it was a sprint to the other end and try again. No one wanted to be that last guy on the court.

Again my point was about the 1H. He clearly has a jittery start so I think yanking him made sense. But letting him sit for over 16 minutes of game action basically sealed his fate for the night, again that’s simply my opinion. It’s kind of a chicken and egg argument, he clearly played bad to start, but I guess I’m saying Fran didn’t give him much chance to succeed after that. Every guy on our team made a handful of mistakes, but Joe T is the only guy who has to pay the piper? It’s a weird deal but we’ve seen Fran do that with Joe T throughout the year.

You have to simulate the game environment somewhat and put some pressure on them to concentrate.

I did some assistant coaching years ago. One of my practice rules was that you didn't hit the showers until after you made three in a row right after sprinting the floor.

They would run as two groups to opposite ends of the floor, then take turns going to the line. If they hit three, it was off to the showers. If not, it was a sprint to the other end and try again. No one wanted to be that last guy on the court.
Practicing free throws with tired legs is a good way to simulate game conditions.

Not wanting to be the last guy on the court is another. Especially you bestowed extra duties upon him like rounding up all the loose balls in the gym, etc.

If Wieskamp just improves his ball handling a little bit he will be a 1st team conference player next year and average 20 per game. It's his handle that holds him back so much from getting to the rack. The times he has control of the ball, he makes it look easy.
To go along with handle which he can definitely tighten up I would also add it’s the feel for when to drive it and when to move it. He often drives it when there is a second defender there to help. Have to pick your spots better. He also picks up his dribble in bad spots, needs to work on a back dribble to get out of those situations.

Not sure Cinci is as bad as you make them out to be.. They have a bad loss or two but who doesn't? Not many.
I believe they just pounded 21st ranked Tenn. Beat the crap out of Drake (10-03). Lost a tough one to Xavier who is pretty damn good.

Iowa had a sloppy game after finals week and won. I find it hard to be upset about a win, away from home, against a legitimate opponent. Iowa was favored by 2.5 and won by 7. Cinci exposed nothing except the fact that a team can throw a couple 7 footers at Garza and he still puts up a double-double and that Iowa has the toughness and cool to win a game after blowing a 15 point lead.
I noted their win over Tennessee earlier in this thread. Cincy, even when they don't have a vintage top 25 team, will always play those trapping defenses and be physical all over the court. It's a carryover from the Bob Huggins days.

I am more concerned wirh what a legit B1G would do if they smelled blood in the water. And by legit, that includes over half the league. We won't have bohannon to bail us out with clutch shooting, ice water at the free throw line, and a steady veteran presence.

CJ, Wies and Bakari hit some cold blooded shots late and it was enough to carry the day. Garza was huge on the boards late. But we looked like a JV team from 15:00 to about 7:00 in the second half.

We need Toussaint to be more consistent, or at least Evelyn to play like he did last night.
Or Fran will be forced to start Kriener and make both out lineup and our bench weaker.

Beyond JT’s early turnovers, Fran had to choose between a point guard who can drive dish and another point guard who can spread the defense with 3 point shooting. JT was not exploiting Cincinnati’s defense with his quickness. Last night it night it made more sense to have an extra three point shooter on the floor.

Latest posts