Cincinatti vs Iowa prediction thread

And the winner is...

• Cincinatti

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Iowa

Votes: 44 88.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We had no business winning this game. Playing that sloppy against a decent opponent, away from home and come out with a W? Last few teams would of closed up shop as soon as they made that run in the second half. This team has some grit and our defense is vastly improved. Garza has obviously been a big piece of the changes but I think having CJF is nearly as big. The kid is just a gamer and love his savvy. As some have said, as soon as he shoots the ball I think it is going in. Doesn’t matter if it is a contested three or a 12 footer on the baseline. I think he also helps in the zone defense on the top. He is good at closing out on shooters.

Joe T will get his opportunity to get his confidence back against Kennesaw State. As many as said Fran kept him out too long tonight but I really can’t fault Fran’s decision making since we won the game.

One thing I was going to add was I thought we looked really lazy in our zone. Like we gave up a ton of wide open looks again. Luckily Cincy can’t really shoot but we are going to have to tighten up our defense. Again glad to get the win now we have to tighten up some things before conference play.

We had no business winning this game. Playing that sloppy against a decent opponent, away from home and come out with a W? Last few teams would of closed up shop as soon as they made that run in the second half. This team has some grit and our defense is vastly improved. Garza has obviously been a big piece of the changes but I think having CJF is nearly as big. The kid is just a gamer and love his savvy. As some have said, as soon as he shoots the ball I think it is going in. Doesn’t matter if it is a contested three or a 12 footer on the baseline. I think he also helps in the zone defense on the top. He is good at closing out on shooters.

Joe T will get his opportunity to get his confidence back against Kennesaw State. As many as said Fran kept him out too long tonight but I really can’t fault Fran’s decision making since we won the game.
That twelve footer on the baseline was huge. We haven't had a player who could consistently make that shot since....Luke Recker?

The reason players don't make that shot anymore is because they seldom attempt it. Look at shot charts after a typical game. Everything in the paint or behind the arc. But that shot will always be there. Kevin Boyle, Bobby Hansen, Kevin Gamble and Roy Marble were always deadly from the baseline. Guy Rucker had a nice shot there, Brunner was another.

The 12-15 foot baseline shot will always be there if players want it. Especially against zone defenses.

Can I do another CJF shoutout? I felt like he was forced into some tough shots and now looking at the box score I see he has another game above 50% from the floor and goes 50% (3-6) from 3. 50% from deep actually lowers his average, that’s how good he’s been. The efficiency he is scoring with right now is incredible.

Him and Wieskamp make quite the pair. Similar styles in many ways, but both a little unique as well. Both guys can stroke it. Fredrick has that savvy and Wieskamp has that length that allows him to score inside at times. Pretty fun watching those two.

Freddy the Nightmare is going to help us recover from Jordan's leave of absence. He and Joe are going to be almost impossible to stop. Cincy with their intense D couldn't do it over the course of the game

Bakari is the X factor and seems quite capable of covering for Jordan

Now onto the B1G grinder

:cool:

You have to simulate the game environment somewhat and put some pressure on them to concentrate.

I did some assistant coaching years ago. One of my practice rules was that you didn't hit the showers until after you made three in a row right after sprinting the floor.

They would run as two groups to opposite ends of the floor, then take turns going to the line. If they hit three, it was off to the showers. If not, it was a sprint to the other end and try again. No one wanted to be that last guy on the court.

Jud Hethcote had a policy that everyone had to make 10 free throws in a row before hitting the showers.

Joe T getting pulled for so long does seem a bit extreme. It makes me wonder if Fran has been talking to him about slowing down until he gets into the flow of the game. If he has been, it makes sense to pull him. He plays for 3 minutes and was 100 miles per hour the whole time turning the ball over like crazy. Then he finally comes in again and right away goes 100 miles per hour and turns it over. If Fran is trying to slow him down a bit, and that's what Joe did instead, the benching makes sense.

I'm trying to think of a time CJ has missed a shot at the rim. I feel like I have a vague memory of one but I can't pinpoint it. He has made almost, if not all, of his shots within 5 feet of the hoop. He's a complete player for sure.

Joe T getting pulled for so long does seem a bit extreme. It makes me wonder if Fran has been talking to him about slowing down until he gets into the flow of the game. If he has been, it makes sense to pull him. He plays for 3 minutes and was 100 miles per hour the whole time turning the ball over like crazy. Then he finally comes in again and right away goes 100 miles per hour and turns it over. If Fran is trying to slow him down a bit, and that's what Joe did instead, the benching makes sense.

I think this!

If Joe is only capable of playing one speed were in trouble and so is he. Brian Garner could only play at one speed. Kevin Smith, who Jess Settles recently compared Toussaint to, was another. Neither made it to the finish line at Iowa, though both had academic and/or off the court problems.

Him and some other players were losing their footing . Wonder if their was condensation on the floor from the Blackhawks ice underneath.

Joe was going too fast also, and the bearcats were helping him lose his balance
Ouch.

That seems a bit much. There are some players that simply will not accomplish that. Shaq would have lived there, and, I mean, lived there...

He was a harsh taskmaster indeed

Last edited:

Latest posts