Get...MIles...NOW

You would make a great politician......when presented with black and white facts of how one actually turned a program around, and another didn't you just ignore it.

Like I said, there are lots of coaches who have taken programs like Okie St., Iowa, and other like schools and make them very successful. Yet if I had one choice on a coach to take to build a program it would be Dantonio. I hate the guy, but dude just gets it done. Miles just doesn't get it done, never did at Okie St., and nobody in the country did less with more than him at LSU.

If you could have the choice between Ferentz and Miles right now at Iowa and you choose Ferentz you're trolling or dumb. Luckily I think you're trolling

If you could have the choice between Ferentz and Miles right now at Iowa and you choose Ferentz you're trolling or dumb. Luckily I think you're trolling

You have me so confused. You have asked me who I think the better coach is, you have asked me who I would want to rebuild a program, now you are asking who I want to coach Iowa.

Why on earth would I want a coach who I think is overrated, and can't win up to the talent at LSU. How on earth will he win at Iowa if he can't win up to his talent level at LSU? You are overvaluing Miles by a mile. He is not a good game day coach, he is not a good clock manager (worse that KF if that is possible), he can't develop QB's (worse that KF if that is possible). Miles in Iowa City is a recipe for disaster. I would literally choose about 25 other coaches before Miles, heck maybe 50 coaches. Miles isn't that good, and for some reason you can't understand this is about Miles, not about KF.

Since you think he was failure in the winning department . . . and he accomplished far more in that dept. than KF . . . wouldn't that suggest you think KF is a failure?

Is this the part where logic is replaced with a double standard?

It's more than just wins and losses, comparing both coaches W/L record isn't fair as you're not comparing apples to apples here. If KF was getting 4 & 5 star talent here at Iowa and had the same level success or lack thereof then it would be a fair comparison.

You honestly think Les Miles is the answer at Iowa? You seriously think if Iowa fired KF and hired Les Miles that all of the sudden we would be getting all those southern 4/5 star recruits and we would be competing for national championships? If you believe that then you are delusional.

The fact is Les Miles failed to meet the expectations at LSU, they are higher and they should be. It's silly to look at his record and assume he could come to Iowa and win the same amount of games that he was winning at LSU. It doesn't work that way.

Right, I mean look at Les Miles record at LSU and then look at Ferentz's at Iowa. That tells us EVERYTHING!

God forbid anyone has a different opinion than you, that makes them either stupid or a troll.

Friggin millennials, get off my lawn!

You have me so confused. You have asked me who I think the better coach is, you have asked me who I would want to rebuild a program, now you are asking who I want to coach Iowa.

Why on earth would I want a coach who I think is overrated, and can't win up to the talent at LSU. How on earth will he win at Iowa if he can't win up to his talent level at LSU? You are overvaluing Miles by a mile. He is not a good game day coach, he is not a good clock manager (worse that KF if that is possible), he can't develop QB's (worse that KF if that is possible). Miles in Iowa City is a recipe for disaster. I would literally choose about 25 other coaches before Miles, heck maybe 50 coaches. Miles isn't that good, and for some reason you can't understand this is about Miles, not about KF.

Come on dean, just look at Les Miles record at LSU....its better than Ferentz's at Iowa.

DUH!!!!

He averaged over 10 wins per season, how is that not winning at LSU? The whole "he underachieved" logic is flawed, you can't penalize a coach for recruiting well. Sure Miles has been loaded with NFL talent but Ferentz has had a lot of NFL talent on his roster and has averaged just over 7 wins per season playing in a much easier conference. Is Ferentz underachieving too? I agree Miles wouldn't be at the top of my list on who I'd want at Iowa but I'd rather have him than Ferentz and I like Ferentz

Right, I mean look at Les Miles record at LSU and then look at Ferentz's at Iowa. That tells us EVERYTHING!

God forbid anyone has a different opinion than you, that makes them either stupid or a troll.

I think I've made it clear that's not what I'm saying.

I think all of this is fairly obvious, but then again from 56's reaction I guess not. I think he is just a prisoner of lazying thinking. Miles = 10 wins at LSU, so Miles = 10 wins at Iowa. God forbid you actually put some critical thought into anything around here.

Agreed, KF would have won 3 or 4 National Championships with the talent at LSU.
Miles bungled so many in game situations not just clock management althought that’s probably the most obvious one. He’s not a good in game coach. For a guy that can recruit as well as he can you’d think he’d accidently have had qbs that were good. Think about it why is a Danny Etling even on that team?? LSU should have no less then 2 or 3 qbs on the roster that are either really good or capable of playing. But they brought on Etling as a transfer and now he’s their ‘savior’ Yikes… It’s a situation they just shouldn’t be in. Now he won 9 games most every year which is about what the talent he had should have been doing no less then. (kinda sounds like Nebraska a few yrs ago) Now the fans there want them to take the next step again but they can’t with him. I feel that’s regardless of the Saben effect. You can’t march through the SEC with no QB. I think those days are over with game managers leading teams to championships. I’m sure LSU has had talent at QB. Miles just hasn’t been able to coach them up in recent yrs.

I would take Ferentz between the 2, right now, with warts and all. There are many other coaches I would likely take over both of them. Not sure my opinion would make me dumb, as neither opinion will be proved right or wrong.

I would take Ferentz between the 2, right now, with warts and all. There are many other coaches I would likely take over both of them. Not sure my opinion would make me dumb, as neither opinion will be proved right or wrong.

I guess I just don't see it, I'm biased and I'd still rather have Miles. I couldn't think of an unbiased person who would choose Ferentz over Miles

I think I've made it clear that's not what I'm saying.

Not really, when going through your comments the only thing you've said is Miles is a better recruiter and coach than Ferentz without offering any evidence to support it. Of course Miles has had higher rated recruiting classes at LSU, LSU is located in the hotbed of 4 & 5 star talent! You would have to be dreaming if you think those 4 & 5 star recruits would suddenly follow Miles to Iowa. If you think he could come up here and suddenly start pulling recruits away from Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh here in the midwest I'd still say you're nuts.

Not really, when going through your comments the only thing you've said is Miles is a better recruiter and coach than Ferentz without offering any evidence to support it. Of course Miles has had higher rated recruiting classes at LSU, LSU is located in the hotbed of 4 & 5 star talent! You would have to be dreaming if you think those 4 & 5 star recruits would suddenly follow Miles to Iowa. If you think he could come up here and suddenly start pulling recruits away from Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh here in the midwest I'd still say you're nuts.

I think Miles would recruit much better in Iowa City than KF does. Miles recruited well to Oklahoma State when they were down and that's not a hotbed. He's an elite recruiter. 15 years ago I'd rather have Ferentz than Miles but I've seen enough from both to think that Miles now is a lot better option that KF.

Let me add a different perspective. I live in SEC country and happen to listen to a lot of sports radio. The local writers from Louisiana and the LSU radio reps have been very critical of Miles for the last few years. They consistently criticize his player development and game-day coaching ability. And his tolerance level for players' misdeeds off the field would not go over very well in Iowa City, to put it mildly.

If Iowa got the kind of talent that LSU has, Kirk would be crushing teams in the West division. Miles is a good coach but not any better than Ferentz.

I think Miles would recruit much better in Iowa City than KF does. Miles recruited well to Oklahoma State when they were down and that's not a hotbed. He's an elite recruiter. 15 years ago I'd rather have Ferentz than Miles but I've seen enough from both to think that Miles now is a lot better option that KF.

Those recruiting classes Miles got at OSU were nothing special. There is no evidence that Miles is an elite recruiter. LSU was producing top 5 recruiting classes before Miles got there under Saban.

Those recruiting classes Miles got at OSU were nothing special. There is no evidence that Miles is an elite recruiter. LSU was producing top 5 recruiting classes before Miles got there under Saban.

If those classes at OSU were nothing special how do you explain him winning 28 games there in 4 years when they won 40 games total the previous 10 years?

If those classes at OSU were nothing special how do you explain him winning 28 games there in 4 years when they won 40 games total the previous 10 years?

If we get to use arbitrary end points that support our narratives then allow me to point out that Bob Simmons won 21 games the 4 years before Miles got there. So I guess Miles was a better coach than Simmons but not much better than Mike Gundy who won 27 games in his first 4 years at OSU and look where he has OSU now.

But I see we are right back where we started, looking at W/L records. Other than W/L records you have no proof Miles is a better recruiter or a coach than Ferentz.

If we get to use arbitrary end points that support our narratives then allow me to point out that Bob Simmons won 21 games the 4 years before Miles got there. So I guess Miles was a better coach than Simmons but not much better than Mike Gundy who won 27 games in his first 4 years at OSU and look where he has OSU now.

But I see we are right back where we started, looking at W/L records. Other than W/L records you have no proof Miles is a better recruiter or a coach than Ferentz.

Gundy has OSU where they're at in part to what Miles did in his time there. He turned that program around and got a high profile job like LSU because of it. Of course I have no proof who is a better coach but I don't think I'm off based thinking Miles is better than Ferentz. I mean we're talking about a guy that won a national title. Only 3 people have ever done that at LSU. I don't think KF could make a national title game regardless where he is at and Miles made two of them

Gundy has OSU where they're at in part to what Miles did in his time there. He turned that program around and got a high profile job like LSU because of it. Of course I have no proof who is a better coach but I don't think I'm off based thinking Miles is better than Ferentz. I mean we're talking about a guy that won a national title. Only 3 people have ever done that at LSU. I don't think KF could make a national title game regardless where he is at and Miles made two of them

You are discounting the job Gundy has done at OSU, Miles didn't leave the place a juggernaut in fact Gundy's first season was 4-7 and he was able to pull off a top 20 recruiting class the very next year.

You are speculating as to what Ferentz could do with the talent Miles has gotten at LSU. Ferentz has gotten Iowa into the NC conversations 3 times, which happened only once during Fry's career, and before that Evashevski back in the 60s. Like I've been telling you all along you are not comparing apples to apples here.

Latest posts