Oh Jesus, really?????????????????? (see duplicate thread soon to be posted)

""I would urge us all to at least attempt to unlearn some of the prejudices that we have learned about each other [that] now plague our minds and our society," Ekakitie wrote in closing. "I am convinced that in the same way that we learned these prejudices, we can also unlearn them."
Well said by Faith. People need to unlearn their prejudices against cops.

FYI - I believe this all transpired in Benton Hill Park. ( Google Earth) The sign and landmarks appear to match. It is the closest wooded area to the bank. It would likely take more than a dozen officers to canvas the surrounding wooded area and it would be one of the first obvious places to look.

FYI - I believe this all transpired in Benton Hill Park. ( Google Earth) The sign and landmarks appear to match. It is the closest wooded area to the bank. It would likely take more than a dozen officers to canvas the surrounding wooded area and it would be one of the first obvious places to look.
Yeah, and I'm sure the suspect would be wandering around in the open with headphones in playing pokemon.

Yeah, and I'm sure the suspect would be wandering around in the open with headphones in playing pokemon.

So the cops were supposed to know this Faith was playing Pokemon? Just exactly how does a cop know what someone is doing until the question them?

It's a relatively secluded area, surrounded by trees. There is a little clearing around the gazebo but the path leads into forest. He's got a few hundred bushes within tinkling distance if he has the urge.

Wow, what?

Did you not see where where Faith said "unlearn some of the prejudices we have learned about EACH OTHER"?

Unlearn ALL prejudices against ALL peoples and groups. Faith is 100% right. What an outstanding statement from such a young person that just went through a random moment very few people do.

Bank Robbery is a big deal. The search of Faith happened 10 minutes after ICPD was notified of the robbery. If these officers weren't told an approximate weight in that 10 minutes, well, somebody dropped the ball there. I'd like to know if the communications between dispatch and patrol were recorded. I find it very difficult to believe that they only had "tall black man in black clothes" to go on.

Were not talking about shoplifting here, we're talking about bank robbery.

I'm pretty sure they were looking for all black men with black clothes on at that point. I don't think they really put the weight factor into play. He fit most of the description so they checked him.

First, since when is ABC the authority on the matter. What they and other outlets leave out are his other words:

"I am thankful to be alive, and I do now realize that it very well could have been me, a friend of mine, my brother, your cousin, your nephew etc."

""I would urge us all to at least attempt to unlearn some of the prejudices that we have learned about each other [that] now plague our minds and our society," Ekakitie wrote in closing. "I am convinced that in the same way that we learned these prejudices, we can also unlearn them."

Again, if the suspect was white with brown hair, they would have had to stop a lot of people in a college town that were large with brown hair wearing black when the school colors are black.

The officer trying to conceal his gun behind his back would have set a number of people off with a perceived threat. The officer was an idiot besides being too out of shape to be on the street.

I win 6 bold statements to your 1!

I'd say that until Robocops become a reality, human error will take place and police officers will make mistakes, ranging from the paltry mistakes made in this case to more disastrous ones. If we're going to nitpick about mistakes made in this case, and expect changes to be made nationally due to said kind of mistakes, then we in this nation as a whole are in trouble.

I wonder if this will affect recruiting? I mean I don't know if a lot of players wan't to go to a place where their safety is a concern and things are pretty heated with the Police across the country. Terrible move by the Iowa City Police Department.

Yeah, it's always a terrible move when police decide to hunt for an armed bank robber.

Here's my reply to your sentiment.

As you can tell from the thread-header my first reaction was that this is bad PR. I've since changed my mind.

At some point someone will compare/contrast events at Iowa with events at Mizzou. Where as their coach (since retired?) encouraged his players to rage against the machine, Iowa's coach, aka Dean of the B1G, turns impressionable lumps of clay into respectful and rational young men equipped for life beyond college.

I also don't think recruits will see this as a negative: "You mean I can match the description of a bank robber and all that will happen is I will be detained in a picturesque setting by professional law enforcement that includes a delightful young lady? That sounds much better than my current reality. Where do I sign up?"

I'm hopeful that in the near future Faith could become the poster-boy for Iowa football. Now compare all his positive qualities with the poster-boyz for Spartan and Buckeye football. Iowa looks very favorable in that light. If I was a parent of a recruit, I would be thinking: "That's refreshing to see a coach who recruits class and character to his program. Those are the type of kids I want my son surrounded with."

I think this will turn into a positive as more people view the video.

Ok, wander around in the open with headphones on using his smartphone. Better?

Cops shouldn't question a man close to the scene of the crime that fits the description, because "he is just out in the open"? You do realize how stupid that is right? You prefer that they just go to the donut shop and have a snack?

13754363_10210363565595704_6553623927807337523_n.jpg

At what point in the video is a gun pointed in his face? And I'm the blind one in your opinion.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they were looking for all black men with black clothes on at that point. I don't think they really put the weight factor into play. He fit most of the description so they checked him.
You're wasting your time. These points have been brought up several times in the thread, but a few people are ignoring them.

I could care less whether trjsirius loses a debate. I am also not obligated to stand behind obvious flaws in authorities and institutions, even institutions I support. I was pretty specific about where the system breaks down. Ultimately, there is an lack of legal accountability when it comes to on duty shootings and gross misconduct by police officers. The legal system is fundamentally flawed. I do strongly disagree with the sort of blanket characterizations that trjsirius and others make against police. I think they are incorrect and counter productive.

Quit mixing my name in with tksirius we are not some hybrid cyborg troll trying to stir the pot, he has his thoughts I have mine.

Latest posts