I was finally able to put a finger on a thought related to this team

They don't play for one another...or rather, they have stopped playing for one another. The chemistry they once had is all gone.

I am not saying they don't like each other, but they just don't seem to go out of their way all that much for each other, like close teams do, like last year's Iowa team did.

I am guessing White is tired of how few touches he gets in scoring position where he isn't forced to dribble drive, which is hard for him because people don't respect his jump shot.

Maybe I am wrong...perhaps I am grasping at straws, too...but that's what it looked like from the couch.

These are all symptoms. The $64,000 question is why aren't they getting along, playing as a team, encouraging one another and picking each other up (both literally and figuratively). Something happened either during or after the Wisconsin loss at home that severely splintered most, if not all, of the team. I really really hope it wasn't the banning of twitter because if it was, these guys are even more pathetically weak than first assumed. Most likely it was the pain of yet another close loss to a ranked team that spilled over into the locker room and guys started playing the blame game with each other and guys started taking sides.

Its too bad, really, and in my mind reflects Fran's inability to know how to push the right buttons, massage egos and rally the troops towards a common goal. Biggest waste of a season since 2002.

These are all symptoms. The $64,000 question is why aren't they getting along, playing as a team, encouraging one another and picking each other up (both literally and figuratively). Something happened either during or after the Wisconsin loss at home that severely splintered most, if not all, of the team. I really really hope it wasn't the banning of twitter because if it was, these guys are even more pathetically weak than first assumed. Most likely it was the pain of yet another close loss to a ranked team that spilled over into the locker room and guys started playing the blame game with each other and guys started taking sides.

Its too bad, really, and in my mind reflects Fran's inability to know how to push the right buttons, massage egos and rally the troops towards a common goal. Biggest waste of a season since 2002.

You realize they really haven't done any of those positive things all season, but were playing well, so what has really changed? There are a few players that just don't seem to be happy, not just during this stretch, but all season.

In "The Journey" they did a segment with Aaron White talking about when Iowa was hosting MSU and he said it is a big game because "Iowa is a big deal now" I about fell over when I heard this because if that was the mindset of more than one player, that is sad. Then they go lose the game, shocker they can't beat MSU.

There are quite a few things wrong and they have been wrong, but I really think teams just exploited the issues this team has and the best thing is to get to the NCAA to see what happens.

You realize they really haven't done any of those positive things all season, but were playing well, so what has really changed? There are a few players that just don't seem to be happy, not just during this stretch, but all season.

In "The Journey" they did a segment with Aaron White talking about when Iowa was hosting MSU and he said it is a big game because "Iowa is a big deal now" I about fell over when I heard this because if that was the mindset of more than one player, that is sad. Then they go lose the game, shocker they can't beat MSU.

There are quite a few things wrong and they have been wrong, but I really think teams just exploited the issues this team has and the best thing is to get to the NCAA to see what happens.

I disagree. Go back earlier in the season and watch Woodbury communicating beautifully in the zone. Or watch guys chest bumping and high fiving each other or pointing back to a player after a great pass. NONE of that is going on. It's a reflection of something deeper going on than lack if skill or talent on the court.

I'm guessing you don't like Dakich because he speaks the truth and sometimes the truth is tough to hear.

I don't like Dakich because he says a lot of bs during the game and when a player does one thing good "I like that kid" he is awful. The thing about him, he has been saying the same things about Iowa all season, nothing new what he said last night, but I chose not to listen as I have heard it many times.

Dakich is the only commentator I have ever hear say: "I am a jerk, there is a reason I am not married." or my personal favorite "Coaches today don't know anything, if they would just listen to me they would win every game." or how many times has he told the story about Aaron White being locked in overnight or how many times does he mention his time at Indiana or how many times does he bring up Alford during an Iowa game or how many times does he just tell a story that isn't related to the game and ignores the game?

I don't like him, but when he does focus on the game and talks about the game, he knows what he is talking about, but he does so little of it during any game he does, the act just gets old.

The truth is great, I coach High School and tell my kids how I feel all the time, either they cry or they perform...it is what it is. No coddling allowed, no chasing kids to play, no pouting...none of the bs some of the coaches do today to "keep everyone happy." I work in Automotive, the truth is cruel in that industry if you have never been involved with it.

Perhaps Francis should hire Dougie McBucket's sports psychologist.

It seems to be working.

BiiHMrICAAAJUQN.png:large

I disagree. Go back earlier in the season and watch Woodbury communicating beautifully in the zone. Or watch guys chest bumping and high fiving each other or pointing back to a player after a great pass. NONE of that is going on. It's a reflection of something deeper going on than lack if skill or talent on the court.

There is very little of it going on, there was some against Illinois, but it quickly went away. Some of the same guys like Woodbury continue to get excited, but it isn't sustained.

It hasn't been a consistent part of this team all year. You have a bench that has no spark right now, like Olaseni was earlier, Oglesby at times, there is no excitement coming off the bench at all. There is very little emotion on this team, go back and look for yourself there are four or five guys that have been essentially emotionless all season and they are upperclassmen.

It's funny the op acts like this is a new revelation. There's been how many posts saying this for how many weeks. It's like they would rather jump in a pickup game then play with their team. No lightbulbs breaking.

It's funny the op acts like this is a new revelation. There's been how many posts saying this for how many weeks. It's like they would rather jump in a pickup game then play with their team. No lightbulbs breaking.

Well in his defense he does not come around all that much anymore. I think the OP is scared of us.

During the Illinois game when RDM got in early foul trouble I thought the team really started clicking after he went to bench.

Our skid also coincides with RDM scoring 20+ for several games in a row.

Also I can tell you from experience that when I have played with someone who gets full of themselves and hogs the ball I went through the motions on both sides of the court. You don't dig as deep on defense, you break off your shot a little earlier and you don't work as hard to get open. Why do all that if one of your teammates never passes you the ball.

RDM is easily our best player but he isn't helping to make his teammates better from what I can see on the court.

During the Illinois game when RDM got in early foul trouble I thought the team really started clicking after he went to bench.

Our skid also coincides with RDM scoring 20+ for several games in a row.

Also I can tell you from experience that when I have played with someone who gets full of themselves and hogs the ball I went through the motions on both sides of the court. You don't dig as deep on defense, you break off your shot a little earlier and you don't work as hard to get open. Why do all that if one of your teammates never passes you the ball.

RDM is easily our best player but he isn't helping to make his teammates better from what I can see on the court.

You remind me of a lot of guys I play in rec leagues and pick up ball with. I see you making faces when I pull up for three on a 3 on 1 fast break, and trust me I see that you're open, but my shot is nice and I've seen you play before. You might be able to get a lay up but my pull up 3 is still a higher percentage shot. I'm playing to win, not to make sure, some out of shape 35 year old gets enough "touches". You want more touches, get your *** on the boards and show me you deserve it.

You remind me of a lot of guys I play in rec leagues and pick up ball with. I see you making faces when I pull up for three on a 3 on 1 fast break, and trust me I see that you're open, but my shot is nice and I've seen you play before. You might be able to get a lay up but my pull up 3 is still a higher percentage shot. I'm playing to win, not to make sure, some out of shape 35 year old gets enough "touches". You want more touches, get your *** on the boards and show me you deserve it.

Love it!! Probably because it sounds like me in rec ball.

Winner stays and I didn't come to the gym to watch pick up games.

So are you saying a Marble pull up 3 on a 3 on 1 is better than a wide open Oges 3? He's failed to hit him many times. That is not a better shot than Oges wide open. Oges shoots a better % from 23 ft out than Marble does anywhere on the court.

If the PGs are going to take 29 out of the team's 62 shots they better combine for 35 to 40 points. The 3rd team all conference player doesn't miss a shot; isn't in foul trouble; and only scores 5 points. This is a problem. Team chemistry comes from sharing the ball. Sharing the ball starts with the PG position. All of this is IMO of course.

Oh hai Windsore.

A. The defense has had huge drop off after Mel was out, but still is suffering why?

Mel Avg +22mn since return, only 16, despite scoring at an elite eFG 13-20, and his elite O-Reb and ability to turn those into scores at the rim, Fran only plays him 14 gm and vs IL 3-4 in 14mn. Remember the team on the floor wjen ia down 20-6? Mcacbre, ogles, gesell, marble, oly. (only 1 rebounder and 1 inside defender) Got to get him back up to +22mn as Sr and is elite defender and o-rebounder and transition finisher.

Oglesby. Avg +24 mins/gm, but can't rebound or play interior defense. Ogles HAS been on the court for most of this awful run of defensive games.

Uthoff. Played +16mins in 14 of 1st 19 GMs with double digit scoring in 14. But has less than 16mins in 8 of last 13. Including 4 of last 5, when the defense has collapsed, (or the entire 2nd half when he and Mel sat next to each unable to do what they did early in the BIG season.) he was 6th man of the yr candidate whe he was playing, now, can't even get into the game.

Gesell. Is now a shooter. Double digit shooter 3x in 1st 12 BIG games, but now, 5 of last 6, with terrible results. 22-67 and 5-23 from 3. Mike is taking shots Mel and Jarrod used to take.

Confidence. macabre, uthoff, and Mel get benched and their confidence is showing, these guys are all playing less, and playing worse than earlier in the yr.

Since Mel's illness; guys like mike, and Josh have stepped up the shots taken, their eFG% isn't like others, ogles defense isnt nearly what uthoff or Mel bring to the overall game. Get ball to Whitey, uthoff, and Mel. Thaws are the 3 elite eFG % guys on the team. Ogles and Mike, shoot less, get ball to these 3.

Fran. Please decide to go with a rotation that makes sense.

So I agree with Windsor and laid out this case right after the Illinois game.

Mel got sick, Gesell and Oglesby started shooting (last few games poorly, Gesell 22-77, Oglesby 8-27), 0-16 last night. Now add 'The Shooting Subs' mccabres 3-7 11 mins and Joks 0-2 in 5 mins ( 3-9 in 16 mins). These are the teams poorest eFG% shooters and they are taking the most shots. 3-25.

Uthoff, whitey,and Mel go 7-10, and are IOWAs best eFG% but they can't get shots. Several of these FGA were the result of O-Rebs, (2nd chance points, not assisted, and drew fouls and FT).

Rebounding. During IOWAs dominant run to #10, rebound margin hovered in the top 10 nationally and #1 in BIG. Since Mels Sickness, IOWA has been out rebounded in each game. Fran has responded by 'downsizing' or reducing Basabe and Uthoff's mins, in favor of 3 guard configurations resultingin more mins for Oglesby, Jok, and small line ups. You can run when you get ALl the rebounds and get easy transition boards, but DRM gets 0, Olgesby, Jok, and Gesell combine for 2-3, and NW pounds for many o-boards.

FTs. The outside perimeter team shoots 3s but, outside of marble, doesn't get to the FT line. Iowa used to make more than others would attempt. Well that has leveled off now too.

In summary, there may or may nit be 'chemistry' issues, but there is clear quantitative differences in who is Now playing, who is now shooting, team rebounding and transition offense and fewer FT attempted. Those are not 'chemistry' those are player rotation dependent and specific player combination packages, and those are on Fran.

lol, you are awesome. when's the autograph session?

And how do you know that? What's to say this team won't play more together? Cuz they for sure as hell don't get along with him. We've never got an opportunity to see this team without Marble.. Oh wait... We did. Last 15 min in the first half against Illinois and we took total control. Marble show comes back in after half and forces everything and down the shoot...

I was at that game, and I said the same thing to my Dad that we were playing better without Marble then with him. I thought we would be in better shape next season playing team ball then what we were currently doing. I wonder if RDM sits a little more would help the team as a whole, he is playing entirely way too many minutes.

Latest posts