You Pit Barrel Cooker Guys?

Old Brinkmann Pitmaster Delux. Just spent two days getting ready for company for my daughter's wedding next month. Gave a few ours of smoke then finished in the oven. I aways use an even mix of three fruit woods. Usually apple, cherry and pecan.

I smoked two briskets, two shoulders and twelve racks of baby backs. It was a chore, but got it done. I should have added another day.

View attachment 9122
View attachment 9123

Who the hell is coming over, the Dallas Cowboys? That is a lot of food, amigo.

Instead of a new thread, I'll just ask the question here. There are a ton of BBQ sauces, rubs etc.. available now. Some hardware stores even carry some nice mom and pop rubs or sauces.

What are some of your stand-by or favorites? Any hidden brands or any you order online to get?

Instead of a new thread, I'll just ask the question here. There are a ton of BBQ sauces, rubs etc.. available now. Some hardware stores even carry some nice mom and pop rubs or sauces.

What are some of your stand-by or favorites? Any hidden brands or any you order online to get?

When I lived in Iowa I only used 2 brands. Big Daddy's or Cookies. Big Daddy's was so damned good. Cookies was really good back in the day as well but at some point it got flipped to a plastic bottle and I think they changed the sweetener and it just don't taste the same.

I will serve with Stubbs on the side these days, sold in glass and uses sugar or brown sugar. I don't sauce anything on the smoker anymore. Meat should stand on its own. My rub is proprietary and I will take the recipe to the grave.

Back in the mid '90's Big Daddy used to serve up this thing called "the prune." I'm pretty sure it was just whatever was left on the side of the pan after he cooked his most ass scorching sauce. My buddy and I used to cut study hall and get lunch at Big Daddy's at least once a week. And oh how he would light up when we rolled in there. There'd be a crowd for lunch and he'd always say "Oh I know these boys like it hot." And he'd give us that fucking prune, Jesus F it was hot. But the upshot was that by eating the prune we'd get a free piece of key lime or banana creme pie and a free drink. It was worth it. The people in there would just laugh their asses off and then some jackass would always think he could handle the prune but if you hadn't mentally prepared for it and tasted a few it was unconscionable. I saw some jackass in a suit run outside and eat snow the sumnabitch was so hot. I miss Big Daddy. A finer man you'll never meet.

When I lived in Iowa I only used 2 brands. Big Daddy's or Cookies. Big Daddy's was so damned good. Cookies was really good back in the day as well but at some point it got flipped to a plastic bottle and I think they changed the sweetener and it just don't taste the same.

I will serve with Stubbs on the side these days, sold in glass and uses sugar or brown sugar. I don't sauce anything on the smoker anymore. Meat should stand on its own. My rub is proprietary and I will take the recipe to the grave.
Yea, Cookies seems to have a weird taste. It was good when it first came out because it was different but that taste got old.

I used this, this weekend that I enjoyed on the ribs.
1659992094952-png.9127
1659992123207.png

Attachments

• 1659992094952.png
    1659992094952.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 27
I really like a brand called "Three Little Pigs BBQ Sauce". They have a handful of different ones but are real good. I'd upload an image but the images seem to big and it jacks the site if I try.

I'm all about Sweet Baby Ray's.

Except for the next meal, everything I smoke is vacuum packed and frozen. No sauce until I thaw and heat up the meat. Pulled pork usually gets a little beer in a pot to heat it up to keep it moist then maybe some BBQ sauce.

I prefer thawing ribs, then a bit of BBQ sauce before putting them in the oven on low heat just to warm them up. I think it really gives the meat and sauce a deeper red look and blends flavor better. I've had some people prefer no sauce until the meal, so I don't slather the sauce on prior to serving unless I ask first.

I've tried makinf my own sauce, but nothing I've cared for, so far.

Now, rub is another thing. I make a bunch of it at once. I use a general recipe from Steve Raichlin (sp?).

Remember guys, it's not the size of the smoker that counts...it's the taste of the meat. ;-)

Funny you mentioned Blues Hog.

I’ve made tons of homemade sauce over the years but the work isn’t worth the payoff tbh.

I buy Blues Hog and mix 3/4 BH with 1/4 Famous Dave’s Devil’s Spit and always keep a squeeze bottle in the fridge. I keep straight BH for kids or people who don’t like spice. AKA women.

I’ve made tons of homemade sauce over the years but the work isn’t worth the payoff tbh.

I buy Blues Hog and mix 3/4 BH with 1/4 Famous Dave’s Devil’s Spit and always keep a squeeze bottle in the fridge. I keep straight BH for kids or people who don’t like spice. AKA women.
That sounds like a nice mixture.

Yea, I've made a homemade sauce at home a couple times as well. It was serviceable as far as taste but maybe a little runnier than I would like. I suppose I could have tried to thicken it up a bit but wasn't worth the hassle. It was good tasting. There is a role for less thick sauces sometimes. Sometimes they cook up a little better when finishing if you prefer a lighter finish.

But, there are so many good choices out there that it is almost not worth the hassle, IMO. It's like craft beer, I guess. I'll let the professionals crank them out.

I'd rather mix my own rub and do as KCHawk does above, make a big batch and store in large container.

Again, Three LIttle Pig's is a nice sauce.

Fryowa - You have any favorite Poor Man's Burnt Ends recipe to share. I want something different on the pellet grill this weekend. Txs.

Fryowa - You have any favorite Poor Man's Burnt Ends recipe to share. I want something different on the pellet grill this weekend. Txs.
I use chuck roast…

Get a decent size chuck roast, if it’s huge you might have to cut it in half but doesn’t have to be.

Rub it down with whatever dry rub you like and smoke it till like 160, 170 ish, doesn’t need to be exact, just get a decent bark on it. Any wood works, I like hickory or oak on beef but anything works. I don’t care for mesquite. Should be 2-3 hours on running your smoker between 275 and 300° to get to that point but just keep a rough eye on it.

Once you get to that point wrap it in aluminum foil, I do a double layer in case you get a hole in it. Put it back on until it temps at 200-205 ish, it should be probe tender (no resistance to a probe thermometer or knife, etc.). This can also be done in the oven at 300 if you want since it’s done taking on smoke.

Once you hit 205 or probe tender take it off the grill and cube it up. I put the cubes back in a disposable aluminum pan, hit it with a light coating of rub again, and coat ‘em in whatever bbq sauce you like—preferably a sweet one so the sugar caramelizes. Put ‘em back on for about a half hour till the sauce sets up and serve ‘em, you can boost the heat a little if you want. I usually stick some tooth picks in and serve them to guests right in the same aluminum pan with dipping sauces. Everyone kinda stands around and digs in.

Works well for me done that way. I actually like those better than burnt ends because I’m not a super huge fan of brisket. Chuck roast is obviously way cheaper too.

I use chuck roast…

Get a decent size chuck roast, if it’s huge you might have to cut it in half but doesn’t have to be.

Rub it down with whatever dry rub you like and smoke it till like 160, 170 ish, doesn’t need to be exact, just get a decent bark on it. Any wood works, I like hickory or oak on beef but anything works. I don’t care for mesquite. Should be 2-3 hours on running your smoker between 275 and 300° to get to that point but just keep a rough eye on it.

Once you get to that point wrap it in aluminum foil, I do a double layer in case you get a hole in it. Put it back on until it temps at 200-205 ish, it should be probe tender (no resistance to a probe thermometer or knife, etc.). This can also be done in the oven at 300 if you want since it’s done taking on smoke.

Once you hit 205 or probe tender take it off the grill and cube it up. I put the cubes back in a disposable aluminum pan, hit it with a light coating of rub again, and coat ‘em in whatever bbq sauce you like—preferably a sweet one so the sugar caramelizes. Put ‘em back on for about a half hour till the sauce sets up and serve ‘em, you can boost the heat a little if you want. I usually stick some tooth picks in and serve them to guests right in the same aluminum pan with dipping sauces. Everyone kinda stands around and digs in.

Works well for me done that way. I actually like those better than burnt ends because I’m not a super huge fan of brisket. Chuck roast is obviously way cheaper too.

Thank you sir. Yes, I was going with the chuck and picked that up last night. So you smoke and cook it before cutting up in pieces instead of cutting them in chunks first. I like that and will do that. I'm going to follow this exactly.

I'm not a mesquite fan either. I do have the Blue Hog sauce which is perfect as it is a sweet sauce. Good to go! Thanks again.

Thank you sir. Yes, I was going with the chuck and picked that up last night. So you smoke and cook it before cutting up in pieces instead of cutting them in chunks first. I like that and will do that. I'm going to follow this exactly.

I'm not a mesquite fan either. I do have the Blue Hog sauce which is perfect as it is a sweet sauce. Good to go! Thanks again.
How’d it turn out?

Latest posts