You Pit Barrel Cooker Guys?

I'm surprised you are getting that thick of a smoke ring without an actual true smoker.
It's definitely a true smoker when you use wood chunks.

I used to have an offset which is the standard classic, but I find I get better smoke and better smoke rings using the barrel.

Whatever you do don't soak the chunks. My neighbor does that and it's the most acrid smelling (and tasting) thing ever. No idea why one would even think about doing that.

Thank you so much man. Especially for the steps on the pork shoulder. I'm definitely not a smoke master at this point but know enough to just be dangerous. I at least understand all the concepts but don't have the experience putting it all into motion, yet. Yea, I was planning to throw some apple or hickory chunks on the briquettes with the next cook. Thanks for all the pork shoulder steps!!

Yea, first cook I was trying to get the cooker all together, figured out and rush a chicken. I think it was on long enough, but as you stated above, the lump coal was hot for a while but prob burnt up as did not have enough. I was struggling with heat (lessening) at the end of the cook. I have a rack of ribs in the fridge that I think I am going to do Saturday prior to the BIG GAME!!

I really do enjoy this stuff but haven't made the time to do it correctly.
Been doing anymore smoking? I've got a birthday party to cook for this weekend; gonna hang 4 racks of ribs Sunday and I think a chicken or two. There are some older NW Iowa folks coming and if it isn't your bog standard, meat, mashed potato, and one vegetable meal they ain't interested.

Us cultured folks will eat the ribs.

My smoker has been collecting dust over the winter.

Same here. I actually put it up on a cabinet to store it and make room for the snowblower.

Been using the hell out of a air fryer which was our family gift for Christmas. I'm going to start a thread on that. Luv that thing. Very versatile.

gonna hang 4 racks of ribs Sunday

Wow, I didn't know that you won the fucking PowerBall. Congratulations.

My smoker has been away for a long time. Shit, my buddy and I were gonna get BBQ for lunch yesterday and I 86ed it at the last minute and we got Vietnamese instead. I think I need another 30 days to clear out my arteries before the smoke season starts again.

I was thinking about uncovering the grill last weekend, but it was too damn windy. The smoker stays wrapped up for a bit yet. But I sure miss the outdoor flavor. I need a smoked baby back rib fix.............

It’s not too bad around here. Being the #1 pork producing state keeps prices fairly low.

Bought 4 St Louis racks and they ranged from $10.32 to $10.97 each. And that’s the week before the Super Bowl and not on sale.

Oh, St. Louis ribs, never mind. Those fucking loinbacks are $55 for a 3 pack at Costco. I'd rather put my balls into a visegrip than pay that much for Costco ribs.

Oh, St. Louis ribs, never mind. Those fucking loinbacks are $55 for a 3 pack at Costco. I'd rather put my balls into a visegrip than pay that much for Costco ribs.
Smithfield’s spares trimmed into St Louis style or bought already trimmed are god-like. It’s a rare case of the best possible cut of meat being sold at Walmart (depending on the area of your country) for a relatively reasonable price.

Just about all competitions in the Midwest including the KC and Tennessee areas have gone to Smithfield St. Louis for their stock racks.

It’s not too bad around here. Being the #1 pork producing state keeps prices fairly low.

Bought 4 St Louis racks and they ranged from $10.32 to $10.97 each. And that’s the week before the Super Bowl and not on sale.
In the DSM area I’ve seen baby back ribs from $10-40 a rack so far this year. Needless to say when I find them cheap I buy and freeze. If you have a price chopper near you check it out, that’s where I’ve found the best deals on ribs. The Sam’s I go to had pork butts for the first time in six months at $1.29 per pound so I bought a few of those as well and made pulled pork yesterday.

Leftover pulled pork (Brisket too) makes the best breakfast sandwich with a fried egg and cheese. With pork I add some bacon.

I did some st Louis style ribs for Easter. Very good results but I will be doing baby back ribs from now on..
I haven't smoked St. Louis style ribs for quite a few years. I'm a baby back ribs guy, too. Maybe I'll have to try the St. Louis style again, sometime.

Also, I've noticed that the membrane has already been removed on the last few baby backs I've bought (last few years I have smoked only a couple times a year). I always look for it, though. Am I to assume everyone does remove the membrane or is there anyone who leaves it on?

I have an older side heat smoker and use coals for heat and wood chunks. For wood chunks, I usually use a combination of three woods in any combination...apple, cherry, pecan, peach, (any fruit wood) and hickory. If I use mesquite, I use it sparingly.