Would you pass on a 5 star recruit if he was interested...

enisthemenace

...and his name was Royce White?

Some on here know by my short list of past posts, I am an Iowa State guy, but I have not come on here to troll. I am usually very respectful, since this is in fact your board.

I am just looking for some 'honest' feedback from a fanbase that is in a very similar basketball position.

would not want that Off lineman from minny that signed with usc....bad daddy problems with that one

Honestly, he's a top tier talent. The 5 star rating is legit. But I just don't know about the baggage. I don't know many kids that have had as many 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc... chances as he has had. I'd be jealous of the talent ISU could land, but I'd be worried about his impact on the team. Tough question to answer, but I'd pass after a long, long discussion with close people.

Honestly, he's a top tier talent. The 5 star rating is legit. But I just don't know about the baggage. I don't know many kids that have had as many 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc... chances as he has had. I'd be jealous of the talent ISU could land, but I'd be worried about his impact on the team. Tough question to answer, but I'd pass after a long, long discussion with close people.
We all remember PP and what his "2nd chance" did for our program. A bad apple can rip a team apart.

What are you talking about 3rd chance and above.. didn't you watch his final interview... he didn't do anything wrong and the justice system works in funny ways.... It's "the man" who is against him... Check out the interview about the 3 minute mark...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5K9v6cgKME]YouTube - Royce White- Last Interview[/ame]

With that being said... hell no I wouldn't take him.. in fact, the respect I have for Hoiberg would be pretty much shot to hell if he takes this chance.

It's always someone else's fault.

It'll be that way should he commit to ISU and then blow up, as he inevitably will.

Hoiberg can have him ... and get ready for his own PP episode.

(To the OP: your title is terribly misleading. Would D-1 programs want a 5-star recruit? My guess is that most would. I doubt there would have been much interest, though, if you had included the recruit's name in this instance. Nice way to get people to read your thread on this troubled young man, I reckon.)

The only situation I would want a player like that is if we had an established coach, strong upper class leadership and he was possibly the player needed to turn a good team into a great team. On a young team, with a new coach, I think he could do a lot of damage to the team.

The only situation I would want a player like that is if we had an established coach, strong upper class leadership and he was possibly the player needed to turn a good team into a great team. On a young team, with a new coach, I think he could do a lot of damage to the team.

This. It would be different if this was year 3 of the Hoiberg experiment. But taking a gamble like this right off the bat? If it doesn't work out it could be disastrous.

However, if it does workout, it could really create a lot of momentum for them. Do ya feel lucky?

This would be the epitome of the 'Fred Hoiberg hire'. Taking chances. I think it will pay off. ISU will be somewhat better then White will leave for the NBA. Cyclones add more league stock to sell recruits.

I guess I just don't see what ISU really has to lose on this.

this is college basketball. do you want to be good or do you want to languish in the bottom of the conference while your fanbase dies away and you get to the point where you lose all relevancy. Your a head bball coach, you teach bball and life, if you back away because you don't think you can do your job and help a kid, then be a baby and don't take him. If you have confidence in yourself as a coach and the people around you then you take the chance. If it doesn't work out, where are you at? no worse than where you were before and 3 months later everyone has forgotten about it and you move on.

This would be the epitome of the 'Fred Hoiberg hire'. Taking chances. I think it will pay off. ISU will be somewhat better then White will leave for the NBA. Cyclones add more league stock to sell recruits.

I guess I just don't see what ISU really has to lose on this.

The only thing they really have to lose IMO is possibly team chemistry. Every year under McD, he said how great the chemistry was over the summer, but halfway through those ugly losing seasons the chemistry hit the fan. So I guess ISU can't really get any worse. I wouldnt recommend it in FH's first year.

The only thing they really have to lose IMO is possibly team chemistry. Every year under McD, he said how great the chemistry was over the summer, but halfway through those ugly losing seasons the chemistry hit the fan. So I guess ISU can't really get any worse. I wouldnt recommend it in FH's first year.

I would go so far as to say that McDermott was the chemistry problem. I always got the feeling the players were doing their thing in the summer and in practice then McDermott would just take over in the games and the players were like, "wtf is this? weve never done this stuff before"

If Tubby was okay with letting him walk, then he can go to UTEP or somewhere like that and prove he has "Character" which he doesn't. A mid-major program will tolerate more to get to the NCAA's than most Major programs.
Don't touch him, it would look bad on any Major program at this point.

It's one thing to have a player become a criminal while he's at your U. It's quite another to invite a serial offender onto your team.

Latest posts