World Cup

Funny that you are still high on Ferentz yet you call soccer boring. Nothing is more intense that a scoreless game late between 2 good teams. The action never stops.

Don't know who is good in Iowa but I know there are some good club teams as I've coached against one from IC. Get right up to the field.

The speed athleticism and strategy with 500 plus passes per match leave football behind. I've held practice alongside football practice.. no much more action. Any hs football game has flabby players on the field. Compare that to 6 ft 170 pound athletic guys across the whole field.
It has nothing to do with the athleticism or lack of it. Are you trying to tell me soccer is more entertaining than American football?!! What does Ferentz have to do with soccer? Why do you do the same comparisons for every argument? I don't get it.

I definitely realize there are good club teams and young players in Iowa. Doesn't change the fact that the sport will never, never hold water to American football and basketball in the is country, because those sports are better sports for TV viewing. I realize soccer is better viewed live but it is never going to catch on in this country, as much as the soccer enthusiasts want it to.
Athleticism has nothing to do with the excitement of a sport. Eliud Kipchoge is the most athletically gifted human being that has ever lived but no one wants to watch a marathon for 2 hours straight.

Athleticism has nothing to do with the excitement of a sport. Eliud Kipchoge is the most athletically gifted human being that has ever lived but no one wants to watch a marathon for 2 hours straight.
GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! for 2.25 hours straight!!

MLB fundamentals are terrible
Infield play is the best it's ever been. Guys are topping 102 across the diamond and making stops and turning double plays that were unheard of 20 years ago.

It appears to be terrible to you because contact hitting isn't a thing anymore.

Funny soccer baseball story from Ukraine....

Took old baseball equipment with me to drop off at an orphanage. My team (work related) and I started playing baseball in the parking lot of the local pro soccer ream. College students came out and some wanted to play. They could catch and throw but would stop grounder with their feet and passing it with feet to the bases. Worked pretty well.

One member on my work team was a German lady that was 5 ft tall with a loud German accent. She decided to pitch and instruct Ukrainians on hitting. In WW 2 Germans and Soviets both would blow themselves up trying to throw US grenades. It was hysterical.

The locals could hit. A locall who was about 6 ft 3 came up to bat and hit the ball about a mike and right through a glass window at the stadium. Pandemonium hit and everyone...Ukrainian, German and American took off running in all directions. I felt the urge from childhood but stayed wondering what to do. This was the day after SBU also known as KGB paid us a visit for not registering with the after they saw my on TV.

Infield play is the best it's ever been. Guys are topping 102 across the diamond and making stops and turning double plays that were unheard of 20 years ago.

It appears to be terrible to you because contact hitting isn't a thing anymore.
Outfield.....

But I concede infield....mostly but guys used to be selected mostly for D at 2nd, short and 3rd but now hitting for power rules. And I was a Herzog fan.

Eliminating the shift is going to help immensely. Should've been done years ago.

I don't like completely eliminating it as it's a strategic move, but I think there should be rules like not to let either the SS or 2nd baseman go past 2nd base.

I don't like completely eliminating it as it's a strategic move, but I think there should be rules like not to let either the SS or 2nd baseman go past 2nd base.
That's what they're doing. Have to have 2 fielders completely past 2B on each side of the infield and everyone has to have their feet in the infield dirt at the time of the pitch.

That's what they're doing. Have to have 2 fielders completely past 2B on each side of the infield and everyone has to have their feet in the infield dirt at the time of the pitch.
So you are good with that? That is the new rule or implement for next season?

They're also going to a 15 second pitch clock with the bases empty and 20 seconds with runners on. Go over and it's a ball, and if the batter isn't set by then it's a strike. Minor leagues did it and it cut games down by 27 minutes on average. By far the biggest slowdown in games is pitcher taking forever between pitches. Guys like Kenley Jansen are gonna have to make big adjustments, he averaged 26 seconds last year and with runners on he would go 30+ between pitches.

Also limiting pitcher to 2 pickoff attempts. You can try a 3rd but if you don't get the out it's a balk. A balk is a severe enough penalty that you're never going to see a guy try it.

As a coach myself I'm in favor of all of those things. They'll bring games back to where they were 30 years ago in terms of pace. I love it.

Wait ... MLB defenses are going to play games with the outfielders. One may play rover more than a normal depth outfield ... For example, lefty pull hitter, the LF may play the short RF/CF area and leave LF open. Maybe only certain situations in the game. It will be interesting to see how defenses adjust. Maybe even some infielders moving at the time of the pitch.

Also, as a high school coach, did you do any 'shifting' on defense? Just curious ...

They're also going to a 15 second pitch clock with the bases empty and 20 seconds with runners on. Go over and it's a ball, and if the batter isn't set by then it's a strike. Minor leagues did it and it cut games down by 27 minutes on average. By far the biggest slowdown in games is pitcher taking forever between pitches. Guys like Kenley Jansen are gonna have to make big adjustments, he averaged 26 seconds last year and with runners on he would go 30+ between pitches.

Also limiting pitcher to 2 pickoff attempts. You can try a 3rd but if you don't get the out it's a balk. A balk is a severe enough penalty that you're never going to see a guy try it.

As a coach myself I'm in favor of all of those things. They'll bring games back to where they were 30 years ago in terms of pace. I love it.

The pickoff rule will also be interesting. Once a pitcher throws over once, then the game begins whether he uses the 2nd throw over or just goes home.

The pitch clock is a must need. Has been working well in the minors. Can't wait for the 1st pitcher that tries to have fun with the umpires on that one. :)

So you are good with that? That is the new rule or implement for next season?
Yep I think it's great. It's what's led to guys being strictly power hitters. Computer stats are good enough now that it's easy to see where guys hit most often and when coaches put 4 guys almost within arms reach of each other plus one so deep that he's a 4th outfielder, it gets ridiculous. The new rule will encourage contact hitting. It's not going to completely bring back small ball but you'll see guys working for base hits instead of either hitting home runs, popping out, or striking out. The shift is against the spirit of the game IMO.

No sure your point. Ya want me to post the top 5 college football offenses or NFL best teams?

Your tunnel vision on stuff is weird.
No, not weird. Comparing top 5 to the bottom 1 or 2 and no one P5 is close. Come on Mel, you can do better than that.

The pickoff rule will also be interesting. Once a pitcher throws over once, then the game begins whether he uses the 2nd throw over or just goes home.
What I think will be interesting is how they're allowing a 3rd but requiring an out. If you just have a simple rule that says only two attempts, after the 2nd one the guy can take a ridiculous lead and then just take off.

The way the new rule is now, you're going to see base runners take way bigger leads banking on the pitcher not wanting to risk it. Essentially base runners will be daring pitchers to pick them off with really high stakes. I like it.

What I think will be interesting is how they're allowing a 3rd but requiring an out. If you just have a simple rule that says only two attempts, after the 2nd one the guy can take a ridiculous lead and then just take off.

The way the new rule is now, you're going to see base runners take way bigger leads banking on the pitcher not wanting to risk it. Essentially base runners will be daring pitchers to pick them off with really high stakes. I like it.

Agreed on this. After the 2nd attempt, runners should take the one way lead and be ready to try and beat the throw back to get the free base. I think most pitchers will throw over once and be done so they aren't tempted to go again and be on the hook. Just my thinking. Of course, I can't wait for the 1st pitcher who forgets and throws over for the 3rd time and gives up the base. :)

Yep I think it's great. It's what's led to guys being strictly power hitters. Computer stats are good enough now that it's easy to see where guys hit most often and when coaches put 4 guys almost within arms reach of each other plus one so deep that he's a 4th outfielder, it gets ridiculous. The new rule will encourage contact hitting. It's not going to completely bring back small ball but you'll see guys working for base hits instead of either hitting home runs, popping out, or striking out. The shift is against the spirit of the game IMO.

Disagree on the shift ... wish they did not legislate against it. But, it will be fun to see how teams try to plan around it.

Wait ... MLB defenses are going to play games with the outfielders. One may play rover more than a normal depth outfield ... For example, lefty pull hitter, the LF may play the short RF/CF area and leave LF open. Maybe only certain situations in the game. It will be interesting to see how defenses adjust. Maybe even some infielders moving at the time of the pitch.
I doubt you'll see outfielders shifting to the extreme like that. The risk is too high for an extra base hit.
Also, as a high school coach, did you do any 'shifting' on defense? Just curious ...
Not really much shifting in high school, we don't have the resources to scout like that, and even so you're not normally seeing guys for more than a couple years at the varsity level. I'll absolutely move my corners to the lines if I see a kid straight pull a couple times, but that's about it.

In HS baseball it's absolutely critical to protect the middle of the field because at that level it's still about base hits and guys steal constantly. You never cheat away from the middle because bad shit happens. Scoring from 2B in HS on a base hit is probably 85% success rate because again, most HS players don't have the gun or the accuracy to make base runners hold at 3B. If you have a good catcher, SS & 2B, and CF, you're going to be ok most of the time.

Disagree on the shift ... wish they did not legislate against it. But, it will be fun to see how teams try to plan around it.
The shift was a response to really good hitters and reduced action and risk. Then pitchers got REALLY good and made it even more of an all or nothing proposition to the point that college and prep private coaches weren't teaching contact hitting and small ball. It was bad for the sport and bad for fans.