Woodbury to Make Decision Soon

Spank - Hes already #57 in espns top 100. I think he'll only move up, expecially if he gets big offers.

AW will be a program changer.

Where does everyone think Woodbury ends up in the final 2012 rankings?

I think he gets into the Top 50. Is there any way he could leap all the way up to Top 25?

It depends. If he signs with NC or KU he will finish ranked in the top 25, if he signs with Iowa then he will probably be lucky to finish in the top 50.

The report that he had an offer from KU was denied later on. Did he just get an offer this week? KU is heavily pursuing the #1 center prospect in the country,who visits KU this month. I have not seen anyone actually confirm an offer from KU to Adam.

I like Iowa's chances. He gets to be part of a program changing group of recruits.
But,I do cringe a bit when fans start saying that if Adam joins Iowa that he will put us over the top to win a Big Ten title. Last year Meyers Leonard,7fter at Illinois,came in with a top 30 tag,and barely made a dent in league. Takes time for these big kids when they move up a level,gang,unless they are top five like Sullinger.

Leonard didn't make a dent because he was playing behind 3 seniors.

Spank, yes, Leonard did play behind Tisdale at center,but did you watch him play? He was still thin,and simply did not really dominate the paint when he was in there. He is a good player,and did make that under-19 team that Melsahn did not,but even as athletic as Leonard is, he just was not ready to be a huge factor in the league last year as a frosh,even if Tisdale was not there and Leonard started. He got pushed around. All I am saying is that it is the very rare true 7fter than can make a huge impact as a frosh. Zeller boys, Plumlee boys, all highly ranked...could not start as frosh. Contribute? yes, but dominate? no.

Actually, I think Adrean Payne,soph at MSU, did start coming on strong late last year as a frosh. He was a top 20 kid. Getting Woody is imperative when you look at young centers in the league:

MSU- Payne- sophmore
Ill- Leonard-sophmore
Mich- Morgan-soph.
Bergrenn-Wis- soph.
Elias-Minny- redshirt frosh
Sully-OSU-soph
Amir Johnson-OSU-frosh
Zeller-IU- frosh

That is quite a group of young,near-7fters in the league. Iowa must find an antidote...hopefully Woody/Gabe.

Last edited:
With a four star type wing in this class with Gessel and Woody, Iowa could perceivably challenge in their sophomore year when Mel is a senior. But best bet is when these guys are juniors.

No possible way with a team of eight underclassmen, unless they are guys like Barnes, Sullinger, Oden, etc. Fran isn't getting those types.

With a four star type wing in this class with Gessel and Woody, Iowa could perceivably challenge in their sophomore year when Mel is a senior. But best bet is when these guys are juniors.

No possible way with a team of eight underclassmen, unless they are guys like Barnes, Sullinger, Oden, etc. Fran isn't getting those types.

Posted this in JD's thread about Woodbury but it fits here too. This would be great in 2013-2014:

PG- Gessel (Sophomore)
SG- Oglesby (Junior)
SF- Marble (Senior)
PF- Basabe (Senior)
C- Woodbury (Sophomore)

Bench:
McCabe (Senior)
Meyer (Sophomore)
White (Junior)

And throw in the SG/SF prospect to round out the 2012 class and that team could be very, very good.

This is how I see it. 2012/2013 is too early as the team will be too young, but there will be a decent lineup for 2013/2014 as the team will have a nice combination of upper and lower classmen.

Posted this in JD's thread about Woodbury but it fits here too. This would be great in 2013-2014:

PG- Gessel (Sophomore)
SG- Oglesby (Junior)
SF- Marble (Senior)
PF- Basabe (Senior)
C- Woodbury (Sophomore)

Bench:
McCabe (Senior)
Meyer (Sophomore)
White (Junior)

And throw in the SG/SF prospect to round out the 2012 class and that team could be very, very good.

Peter Jok could be a frosh sg/sf that would contribute immediately,with Olaseni and Agau as more big man depth. Nice potential roster. I know it is all pie in the sky right now,but that progression on the roster would dovetail nicely with potential trend of the program,with lite league schedules the next two years giving Fran a chance to win more games each year,then when that schedules flips,we have the horses to not have to worry about that slate near as much. My dream...NIT this season,NCAA next year,then NCAA with a run in 2013-2014, NCAA with a deep run in 14-15....with maybe a Big Ten title in 14 or 15.

Hey,daydreaming is legal,right?

Last edited:
It sucks, but I think he ends up elsewhere. (I'm hoping that I'm wrong, but these things rarely seem to work out for us)

It's not a "chicken little" policy. It's called being realistic.

I don't know how anybody can honestly expect anyone to pick Iowa over KU given the past 5 years. If we were winning 20+ games most every year like we did in the 80's and 90's, it would be different, but that's not the case.

I'm not saying there's no chance, and I'll be more than happy to come out here and eat crow if Woodbury picks the Hawks, but don't be too shocked if he chooses to play for Kansas.

Next time before you write something, know what you are talking about. Woodbury does not have an offer from Kansas (or N. Carolina, for that matter). How is he going to choose kansas when they haven't even offered?

Next time before you write something, know what you are talking about. Woodbury does not have an offer from Kansas (or N. Carolina, for that matter). How is he going to choose kansas when they haven't even offered?

There were a lot of twitter and online reports confirming a Kansas offer for Adam. Fortunately, it sounds more and more like that it was a conditional offer from Kansas(in other words, they told him he will get the next offer if they don't get their top center choices).

For some reason I think we will see Adam in a Hawkeye uniform, of course, I was positive that Cezar would be a Hawk. He knows that Fran is turning the program around, and he would be a huge part of completing the transition. He would start immediately for the Hawks, as opposed to sitting on the bench at Kansas, OSU, and NC. He and his family have lifelong love for the Hawkeyes, and that could be the deciding factor. I really can't see him going to OSU. His family would never speak to him again, and they would probably cheer for the Hawkeyes when playing the Buckeyes. He would go down in the state of Iowa and Hawkeye history for eternity as the recruit who brought the Hawks back to greatness, with the assistance of Fran and his teammates.

I imagine he would open the door for other elite recruits to enter. Hope springs eternal.

:)

I don't think his family would root against him if he went to tOSU, but I'm also not worried about a lifelong Hawk fan going to another Big Ten school. We just have to hope that Kansas and/or UNC don't come knocking.

PG- Gessel (Sophomore)
SG- Oglesby (Junior)
SF- Marble (Senior)
PF- Basabe (Senior)
C- Woodbury (Sophomore)

Bench:
McCabe (Senior)
Meyer (Sophomore)
White (Junior)

If McCabe comes off the bench as a senior, we will be in good shape

He and his family have lifelong love for the Hawkeyes, and that could be the deciding factor. I really can't see him going to OSU. His family would never speak to him again, and they would probably cheer for the Hawkeyes when playing the Buckeyes. He would go down in the state of Iowa and Hawkeye history for eternity as the recruit who brought the Hawks back to greatness, with the assistance of Fran and his teammates.

Posts like this are why I love reading this board.

Last edited:

Latest posts