Woodbury to Make Decision Soon

It sucks, but I think he ends up elsewhere. (I'm hoping that I'm wrong, but these things rarely seem to work out for us)
He did an interview for the Gazette Sports Desk on monday night and he wore an Iowa tshirt and had a big smile. I think that says a lot. I think this is a kid that loves Iowa and knows he can play a big part of putting them back on the map.

He did an interview for the Gazette Sports Desk on monday night and he wore an Iowa tshirt and had a big smile. I think that says a lot. I think this is a kid that loves Iowa and knows he can play a big part of putting them back on the map.

Harrison Barnes wore ISU gear all the time and was at the games cheering for ISU, they finished 2nd to Carolina.

There is a reason the kid isn't announcing now, both Carolina and KU said they are going to evaluate in July, the kid wants a chance to consider going to 2 of the most storied programs in history (should that opportunity present itself), it will give him a lot to ponder.

There are similarities to Barnes'..

Harrison Barnes wore ISU gear all the time and was at the games cheering for ISU, they finished 2nd to Carolina.

There is a reason the kid isn't announcing now, both Carolina and KU said they are going to evaluate in July, the kid wants a chance to consider going to 2 of the most storied programs in history (should that opportunity present itself), it will give him a lot to ponder.

situation, but important differences too. McCaffery isn't Dead Man Walking like McDermott was when Barnes was making his decision. I'm hopefully optimistic, but need to see it to believe it at this point in terms of Iowa landing a high-profile in-state guy.

Re: There are similarities to Barnes'..

situation, but important differences too. McCaffery isn't Dead Man Walking like McDermott was when Barnes was making his decision. I'm hopefully optimistic, but need to see it to believe it at this point in terms of Iowa landing a high-profile in-state guy.

That is a valid point he was Dead Man walking... But even if Hoiberg was there a year earlier not sure if the kid would have stayed.

These kids are used to winning, and programs like KU, UNC can guarantee wins and post season play year in and year out. They are Fortune 500 programs.

ISU and Iowa are IPO programs. Lots of potential, but nothing consitent yet.
They just need some guys (and some have already) to invest in that potential.

or at least his kid.. I think he made the US19 and under team..

That was a smart move on Chewie's part though. At that level, you don't want to be coaching your kid. It's just asking for a heap of trouble that's totally uncalled for (just ask Dan Hawkins).

That was a smart move on Chewie's part though. At that level, you don't want to be coaching your kid. It's just asking for a heap of trouble that's totally uncalled for (just ask Dan Hawkins).

You have been to a Hawkeye football game haven't you?

I think if Hoiberg was the ISU coach at the time, Harrison Barnes would be in Ames.

url

You have been to a Hawkeye football game haven't you?

You have noticed that most people don't give two s*its about offensive linemen, right? Hawkins' kid was the QUARTERBACK. You can't get any more high-profile than that on a football team. Centers and guards are generally anonymous, certainly when compared to skill position players. And in basketball, there aren't any positions like that, because you are one of just five players on the floor for your team. Not exactly a wise practice as a coach, particularly if you're already on the hot seat.

You have noticed that most people don't give two s*its about offensive linemen, right? Hawkins' kid was the QUARTERBACK. You can't get any more high-profile than that on a football team. Centers and guards are generally anonymous, certainly when compared to skill position players. And in basketball, there aren't any positions like that, because you are one of just five players on the floor for your team. Not exactly a wise practice as a coach, particularly if you're already on the hot seat.

Just going by what you said originally. And it seemed people gave more than two sh*ts when the low-income housing story broke, but don't let me make your whole argument for you.

Just going by what you said originally. And it seemed people gave more than two sh*ts when the low-income housing story broke, but don't let me make your whole argument for you.

I'm not talking about off-field issues (though it's not like Ferentz didn't take some heat, both for the low-income housing and for James' arrests his first year on campus). But if McDermott's kid were to not perform on the floor, and still get playing time, things would have gotten very nasty (Just like it did for Hawkins, and just like it would if James Ferentz played a more high-profile position and didn't perform). When you're on the hot seat already, you don't take that kind of risk.

Hell, look at Lickliter. His kid wasn't even on scholarship. The only reason that John played was because we had ZERO point guards behind Cully after Tucker screwed up (again). And that was just another thing that people railed on when running Lickliter out of town.

Last edited:
I am just going to say each time I hear Iowa has a new commitment I hope i open the link and it says "Woodbury is a HAWKEYE!" With that I am still happy to see the solid commitments the football staff is pulling in.

If Woodbury says 'yes' to a coach within three weeks, or sooner, it will be to Iowa's benefit. The longer it goes and how well Adam is doing is doing on the AAU circuit and the campes he has been attending is bad for Iowa.
I do believe that Iowa is the leader in all of this, but anything can happen at any given time. If Adam comes to Iowa, this is truly the turning point and hopefully it happens prior to Iowa plays a single basketball game prior to the 2011 - 2012 season. Adding Meyer and Woodbury to team with Basabe/Olaseni/White gives Iowa a deep frontcourt with size and athleticism.
Iowa must add one or two players that can run the point in the 2012 class, I prefer two, in order to move forward under Fran. As big of a get Woodbury would be, it cannot be underestimated how important the PG position and the hole that will be left when Cartwright leaves cannot be understated enough.

If Woodbury says 'yes' to a coach within three weeks, or sooner, it will be to Iowa's benefit. The longer it goes and how well Adam is doing is doing on the AAU circuit and the campes he has been attending is bad for Iowa.
I do believe that Iowa is the leader in all of this, but anything can happen at any given time. If Adam comes to Iowa, this is truly the turning point and hopefully it happens prior to Iowa plays a single basketball game prior to the 2011 - 2012 season. Adding Meyer and Woodbury to team with Basabe/Olaseni/White gives Iowa a deep frontcourt with size and athleticism.
Iowa must add one or two players that can run the point in the 2012 class, I prefer two, in order to move forward under Fran. As big of a get Woodbury would be, it cannot be underestimated how important the PG position and the hole that will be left when Cartwright leaves cannot be understated enough.
If Woodbury comes, Giselle will follow, and he can run the point under Fran's style for sure.

Latest posts