Woodbury has regressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabe is getting to the point where he is overrated among Iowa fans.

I really like Gabe, but he's like a giant little kid playing basketball, leaping and trying to swat every shot, and taking himself out of position.

Woodbury is the better defender by far, and he's better for the flow of offensive. Woody isn't athletic and isn't strong as he needs to be, and those things are easy to see, which is why he gets criticized by the fans that just started paying attention to Iowa basketball again.

Another underrated aspect of Woody's game is that according to Fran he's by far the most vocal of any Iowa player on defense. Having a big guy like that in the back, directing traffic can make a huge difference for any defense. Gabe does not see the game as well as Woody, which you would expect as he has played a lot less basketball.

WOODY HAS REGRESSED!!!!!

*Proceed to describe how Woody hasn't changed at all since last year, and therefore has neither regressed or progressed.*

We'll see if Woodbury is any better scoring wise but I love watching him pass out of the post. He's set up some open shots in the first two games.

We'll see if Woodbury is any better scoring wise but I love watching him pass out of the post. He's set up some open shots in the first two games.

He could be top three in assists for Iowa if Iowa can make shots because he is that good of a passer.

If you don't see that the offense flows better with Woody in rather than Gabe, if you don't see that he plays position defense and rebounds better than Gabe, and that he generates fewer turnovers per touch than Gabe, you really shouldn't post.

Woody is the anti-Acie Earl. Earl did all the obvious things -- points, boards, blocks. He also would get a little out of position on defense sometimes, would get pushed around a little by power players, was a black hole with the ball, and didn't add to the flow of the half-court game.

Jepsen, Reiner, and Waite as Jrs.-Srs. -- that's where Woody needs to be. If this team gets scoring from Utoff, White, and Gesell next year, and Utoff, Gesell, and Jok the year after that, then this team just needs Woody to do everything but score and he's a big plus player.

Thats the only problem with recruiting so many unpolished big men vs athletic, ball handling 6-8 guys.

You cannot recruit that way in the Big Ten. If you recruit 6-8 ball handling types they will get mauled during the conference season and it would make them one dimensional.

Ahhh...with my old age comes historical knowledge.

Pundits said the same thing about Kevin Kunnert, yet, from 70-73, he averaged 15.9 points/game. (He also averaged 12.7 rebounds a game).

And with my old age, I see that the game is more defense dominated today. When Kunnert played, they ran-ran-ran; all teams did. The 1970 team averaged over 100 points a game in the Big Ten; I doubt that a shot clock would have mattered to that bunch. They had "Downtown" Freddie Brown and John Johnson (who invented the point forward position) who played big roles when they won an NBA title with Seattle. Maybe with the recent rules changes they will stop the Aaron-Craft-type mugging and get back to allowing players to play.

Really hate to keep hearing this excuse about big men needing more time. Woodbury has done nothing to get stronger. His moves don't look any better. He's very tentative, and has weak hands with no hops. He got man-handled by the bigs from Omaha yesterday, and he looked scared. Blue chip recruits don't need a lot of time. Wasn't Woody a blue chip 4-star recruit?

Start Gabe. Use McCabe more inside.

So the 10 pounds he's put on aren't in his arms and shoulders? His moves are definitely more fluid. And, above all, he doesn't need hops - he actually boxes out unlike so many big men today. And blue chip bigs DO need more time than blue chip guards. Big guys (myself being one) grow so much at one point that it takes several years for the coordination to catch up. But Woody looks great in the limited time he's been on the floor; possibly limited in minutes by design.

Woodbury I think should see more minutes. Alot more than Gabe. He does a lot of things really well even if he is not scoring.

Ok so at what point is it ok to analyze anything. Sorry, but "limiting analysis" because of the "2 game" thing makes no sense. From what I can tell no one is saying he will be like this the rest of the season. This is about what we are noticing now. Right?

It is too early to make sweeping statements like "Woody has regressed" after 2 games IMO. The sample size is too small and we will play teams which provide better match ups for Woody moving forward. I believe there can be analysis after 2 games but not conclusions.

Really hate to keep hearing this excuse about big men needing more time. Woodbury has done nothing to get stronger. His moves don't look any better. He's very tentative, and has weak hands with no hops. He got man-handled by the bigs from Omaha yesterday, and he looked scared. Blue chip recruits don't need a lot of time. Wasn't Woody a blue chip 4-star recruit?

It's not an excuse. It's reality. Big guys need more time...especially true post players IMO. Suggesting that moving McCabe inside is the solution tells me you haven't been watching much Iowa basketball the last 3 years. I love McCabe and want him in the rotation. I don't want him playing the 4 or the 5.

I have NEVER gotten this impression about Woodbury. EVER!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/stats/season_stats.pdf

I know, I know, it's only two games, but, only 12 minutes/average is a bit odd considering he's a 2nd year starter.

His 13 minutes in the opener could be explained away I suppose because of Fran's wanting to rotate players in a laugher.

The 11 minutes in a knuckle-grinder...not sure how to explain it other than he wasn't effective.

Then again, he only averaged 16.5 mins/game last season as a true frosh.

I know, I know...only two games in, but, just say'n....

Last edited:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/stats/season_stats.pdf

I know, I know, it's only two games, but, only 12 minutes/average is a bit odd considering he's a 2nd year starter.

His 13 minutes in the opener could be explained away I suppose because of Fran's wanting to rotate players in a laugher.

The 11 minutes in a knuckle-grinder...not sure how to explain it other than he wasn't effective.

Then again, he only averaged 16.5 mins/game last season as a true frosh.

I know, I know...only two games in, but, just say'n....

The first game he picked up 2 fouls before the under 16 TV timeout. That earned him a seat next to Fran for the remainder of the first half.

I didnt watch the first half of the UNO game so I cant comment on the distribution of minutes there.

The biggest complaint I have about Woody is how often he picks up fouls past the 3 point line when he is hedging out on screens. Drives me crazy.

His stats tonight were surely Brommerseque.

4 points (1-3 shooting)
1 block
1 turnover
2 fouls
6 rebounds
0 assists

Played 19 minutes.

Weren't all those a career night for Brommer. Any comparison to Brommer is very, very short sighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts