Woodbury has regressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Woodbury has 2 good games in a row does that mean he's improved? Has Marble regressed too since he shot poorly yesterday?

It's far too early to tell who's improved or regressed.

Ahhh...with my old age comes historical knowledge.

Pundits said the same thing about Kevin Kunnert, yet, from 70-73, he averaged 15.9 points/game. (He also averaged 12.7 rebounds a game).

What is the point? Kunnert played in the NBA for 10+ years, was a tremendous player. Woodbury isn't at that level (yet). He might never be. But I'm willing to let him see if he can develop into that.

If Woodbury were on a team where he HAD to play 25+ minutes a game, his numbers would go up. On this Iowa team, he's not. Next year with Basabe and McCabe gone both he and Olaseni's minutes will go up.

Overall, Woodbury looks more comfortable this year. He is shooting the little 12-footer with confidence, making moves with more confidence, etc. Obviously not having a great deal of success, but let the season play out. Against teams with good post players, he and Olaseni become much more valuable.

Woodbury might not ever be a guy who averages a double-double in a season. I hope I'm wrong, but it is a possibility. That doesn't mean he's a failure. He's a big reason why the defense improved so dramatically last year.

Ive thought Woody looks more smooth this year. Last year all moves were more violent and jerky. It just take some game time to get things worked out.

The big thing is Woody feeds off Basabe. All of Woodys good games that year Basabe had a good game also.

He is much smoother this year. He shoots the ball softer and is much more poised and hasn't come close to reaching his potential. Wait for it.....

:rolleyes:

I like how he has been more aggressive early in the game. Both games he took an early jump shot. Although he didn't make the one last night, I like the confidence he shows in the jumper now. If he can knock that down consistently, it will open up his post game so much.

I have to think that people like OP are to young to remember what it is like to have and develop a Center. If you would have seen Les Jepsen or Acie Earl in their Freshman/Sophmore campaigns you would have swore they weren't Division I caliber. Both went on to have very good Junior and Senior seasons and both had the luxury of a redshirt year. I think Woody by the end of the year will be a big asset.

I had the opportunity to watch Kevin Kunnert play at Wahlert in Dubuque. As a high school player, he was clumsy and not very athletic. As he aged he continued to get better and better. It continued at Iowa. I feel the same about Woody, except I feel he may have a higher ceiling than Kevin. He needs time to grow into his length.

Woodbury hasn't regressed. He hasn't even arrived yet. Gotta be a lot more patient with the big cats.

Really hate to keep hearing this excuse about big men needing more time. Woodbury has done nothing to get stronger. His moves don't look any better. He's very tentative, and has weak hands with no hops. He got man-handled by the bigs from Omaha yesterday, and he looked scared. Blue chip recruits don't need a lot of time. Wasn't Woody a blue chip 4-star recruit?

Start Gabe. Use McCabe more inside.

I had the opportunity to watch Kevin Kunnert play at Wahlert in Dubuque. As a high school player, he was clumsy and not very athletic. As he aged he continued to get better and better. It continued at Iowa. I feel the same about Woody, except I feel he may have a higher ceiling than Kevin. He needs time to grow into his length.

What length? Woodbury has the least amount of length of any 7 footer I've ever seen. One of Steven Adams (7 footer out of Pitt) arms is as long as both of Woodbury's put together.

Really hate to keep hearing this excuse about big men needing more time. Woodbury has done nothing to get stronger. His moves don't look any better. He's very tentative, and has weak hands with no hops. He got man-handled by the bigs from Omaha yesterday, and he looked scared. Blue chip recruits don't need a lot of time. Wasn't Woody a blue chip 4-star recruit?

Gabe needs to learn how to hold onto the ball. He fumbles it more than Ronnie Harmon in a Rose Bowl game.

Both big men have developing left to do. Gabe was 0-1 in the game, so who was the tentative one? Gabe is 1-9 so far this year from the floor, so I'm not exactly sure what you are seeing that makes you think he is some ALL BIG player and Woody (who is 4-10 FG) is garbage.

Holy **** does no one here remember what happened just two years ago when we did use McCabe inside? Watching B10 teams get second and third chances of every miss is not fun. Using McCabe inside is a terrible idea. Now if you want to talk me into a Basabe/White/Uthoff frontcourt against teams lacking a major inside presence, I'm all ears.

As for starting Gabe, no Woodbury is still much better. Gabe is 1/9 from the field this year, he has terrible hands, he's not as good of a passer as Woodbury, plus his defense is nowhere near Woodbury's level, his constant block chasing leads to offensive rebounds as he takes himself out of position. Woodbury looks smoother to me, his short jumper looks better, both of these first two games have been sloppy, up tempo games which is not where Woodbury is going to provide us the most benefit.

Holy **** does no one here remember what happened just two years ago when we did use McCabe inside? Watching B10 teams get second and third chances of every miss is not fun. Using McCabe inside is a terrible idea. Now if you want to talk me into a Basabe/White/Uthoff frontcourt against teams lacking a major inside presence, I'm all ears.

As for starting Gabe, no Woodbury is still much better. Gabe is 1/9 from the field this year, he has terrible hands, he's not as good of a passer as Woodbury, plus his defense is nowhere near Woodbury's level, his constant block chasing leads to offensive rebounds as he takes himself out of position. Woodbury looks smoother to me, his short jumper looks better, both of these first two games have been sloppy, up tempo games which is not where Woodbury is going to provide us the most benefit.

Good breakdown of the two. I like both of them, I like that they bring a different skill set. I like the fact that both of these players will be much better by the end of the year, I'll bet on that.

Woody hasn't shown me much. He still looks weak around the basket. Foul prone. Dumb mistakes. I think Gabe should be starting at post. IMHO.

Provide some real reasons here. Gabe is Houdini, he has shown nothing this season that tells me he is any better. Watching the game, if he can't make the highlight play, he does little to nothing.

Woodbury, is still developing, but the funny thing is he is still 10x the player Gabe is. He can pass, run the floor under control, doesn't look lost on a put back and if he isn't comfortable, he gets rid of the ball. I saw one play where he held onto it and got called for a travel, other than that he played a solid game.

Why is everyone hating on Gabe? He is swatting shots like Godzilla swatting planes. Didn't the team tie the record for blocks already this year?

Why is everyone hating on Gabe? He is swatting shots like Godzilla swatting planes. Didn't the team tie the record for blocks already this year?

Not hating on Gabe, just being realistic about what kind of player he is. No way does he need more minutes than Woodbury, that is insane, if he isn't making "Top Ten" plays, well he doesn't do a whole lot. Also, no the record was set last year against Illinois.

Like Sportstalent said, not hating on anyone. Both Gabe, and Woody have developing to do, and have weaknesses in their games. I'm sure both Gabe and Woody as well as the coaching staff understand this, and they probably work on these things daily.

Problem is he cancels himself out. For every block he gives up an easy put back because he was out of position. For every big dunk he has he turned the ball over trying to dunk it the next time.

He just hasnt had enough time around the game.

If you watch Basabe play defense and then watch Gabe you will see how big of a difference there is.

Not hating on Gabe, just being realistic about what kind of player he is. No way does he need more minutes than Woodbury, that is insane, if he isn't making "Top Ten" plays, well he doesn't do a whole lot. Also, no the record was set last year against Illinois.

Like Sportstalent said, not hating on anyone. Both Gabe, and Woody have developing to do, and have weaknesses in their games. I'm sure both Gabe and Woody as well as the coaching staff understand this, and they probably work on these things daily.

Problem is he cancels himself out. For every block he gives up an easy put back because he was out of position. For every big dunk he has he turned the ball over trying to dunk it the next time.

He just hasnt had enough time around the game.

If you watch Basabe play defense and then watch Gabe you will see how big of a difference there is.

I'll save myself the time and just agree with these posts.

Gabe is getting to the point where he is overrated among Iowa fans.

I really like Gabe, but he's like a giant little kid playing basketball, leaping and trying to swat every shot, and taking himself out of position.

Woodbury is the better defender by far, and he's better for the flow of offensive. Woody isn't athletic and isn't strong as he needs to be, and those things are easy to see, which is why he gets criticized by the fans that just started paying attention to Iowa basketball again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts