winning or losing this game doesn't change reality

I respectfully disagree. He is already light years ahead of where Brad Lohaus was as a sophomore and Bead went on to play in the NBA for ten years. Of course there is never a guarantee a player will continue to progress as some will plateau, but I like his size and he has a nearly unstoppable hook shot. Now he defense does need to improve as he does seem a step slow.

If you were around to see how pathetic Brad was as a sophomore you would hold back a little on your judgement of Garza. After Brad’s sophomore season if ANYONE was projecting him into the NBA you would have been laughed off the planet. What is unfortunate with Brad is some of his legal problems he got into later in life.
Wasn't really that unfortunate, he was a prick and dug his own grave

Here are the ten toughest games Iowa has played this year

Joe"s results

Oregon at MSG 4 pt 3 rebs 0 assist
UConn at MSG 1 pt 5 reb 1 assist
Wisc 8 pt 8 reb 0 assist
MSU 8 pt 4 reb 1 assist
ISU 10 pt 1 reb 2 assist
Purdue 9 pt 4 reb 0 assist
MSU 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist
Mich 16 pt 7 reb 2 assist
MYD 2 pt 3 reb 0 assist
Wisc 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist

Not a big time player at this point, doesnt measure up against good teams nice kid nice player we will see......see above..mediocre numbers...
So the two toughest games were his two best, good point.

Joe"s results

Wisc 8 pt 8 reb 0 assist
MSU 8 pt 4 reb 1 assist
ISU 10 pt 1 reb 2 assist
MSU 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist
MYD 2 pt 3 reb 0 assist
Wisc 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist

Not a big time player at this point, doesnt measure up against good teams nice kid nice player we will see......see above..mediocre numbers...

He sure had a big game in the best win we had this year-Michigan.

Lol, and you want to keep them regardless of what they do. If your the type of person who is satisfied with mediocrity then you are what you are. Tom was let go, Alford had the door pointed out to him and he got the hint and left. Lick was let go. Why do you suppose these things happened? Because they weren’t getting it done.

Actually, Mr. Davis was let go because we thought we could snag a better coach to "take us to the next level". I didn't like the fact that he was let go, especially in the way he was let go.

Alford had more than the door pointed out to him. He defended a rapist and cast doubt on the victim. He should have NEVER been hired after that. Period. My nephew was a manager when Alford was here and he doesn't have a lot of bad things to say about him as a person - but does criticize his actions over that incident.

Lick was let go because he took a floundering program (due to Alford's issues) and sunk it. He played boring basketball and had issues hanging on to players that he recruited.

Fran has brought us back to above Alford level, at least as far as records and players go. I still question the decision on the buyout of his contract, but there are a number of coaches across the country with similarly expensive buyouts. Personally, I don't like that but that's the way of today's coaches.

Here's a list of the NCAA men's basketball coaches with the highest pay. It also includes a column for buyout, so if you click on the column header you'll see where Iowa ranks in buyout. (Also note that Rutgers and Illinois coaches have a higher buyout than Fran)

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Here's my take on the players

1) Garza - He's proven to have his moments. Very slow footwork though at this point. Players still continue to blow right past him. Still missing some obvious block-out situations.
2) Nunge - For me, jury is still out. I guess what concerns me is this was a McCaffery family acquaintance/friend from Nunge's youth b-ball days. What is his ceiling?
3) Wieskamp - Solid. Very high basketball IQ. Great future.
4) 4 start PG coming - What is the ceiling? Is Fran going to know what to do with him?

I agree the jury is still out on Nunge, but I think he will be a very good player. Remember that he was runner-up Mr. Basketball for the state of Indiana and was an all-state team pick. There is some talent there.

Joe"s results

Wisc 8 pt 8 reb 0 assist
MSU 8 pt 4 reb 1 assist
ISU 10 pt 1 reb 2 assist
MSU 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist
MYD 2 pt 3 reb 0 assist
Wisc 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist

Nice try. It’s pretty dumb to misrepresent when it’s so easy for someone to check the data. Based on Kenpom rankings these are the 10 highest ranked...equals toughest...opponents Iowa played.

MSU 8-4-1
MSU 5-3-0
MI 16-7-2
PUR 9-4-0
WI 8-8-0
WI 5-3-0
ISU 7-1-2
MD 2-3-0
PSU 10-7-0
IN 13-2-1

So Joe averaged 27.4 minutes, 8.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, .6 assists and shot 42.8% in our 10 toughest games.

Pay attention because this part will be hard for you to understand. Minutes are important because Joe is arguably our best defensive player...as a true freshman. Not allowing the other team to score is also important. I wish some of the other guys on the team would figure that out.

One final point...Your argument is idiotic. Most of the teams I just listed have one or more NBA players on the court. Joe isn’t an NBA player...yet. So this data is skewed to make Joe look bad. And he still looks good when considering the caliber of the competition.

Actually, Mr. Davis was let go because we thought we could snag a better coach to "take us to the next level". I didn't like the fact that he was let go, especially in the way he was let go.

Alford had more than the door pointed out to him. He defended a rapist and cast doubt on the victim. He should have NEVER been hired after that. Period. My nephew was a manager when Alford was here and he doesn't have a lot of bad things to say about him as a person - but does criticize his actions over that incident.

Lick was let go because he took a floundering program (due to Alford's issues) and sunk it. He played boring basketball and had issues hanging on to players that he recruited.

Fran has brought us back to above Alford level, at least as far as records and players go. I still question the decision on the buyout of his contract, but there are a number of coaches across the country with similarly expensive buyouts. Personally, I don't like that but that's the way of today's coaches.

Here's a list of the NCAA men's basketball coaches with the highest pay. It also includes a column for buyout, so if you click on the column header you'll see where Iowa ranks in buyout. (Also note that Rutgers and Illinois coaches have a higher buyout than Fran)

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

I disagree on the bolded above and I dislike Alford with every fiber of my being...but the players Alford brought in were much higher ranked players than what Fran has brought in. And the overall records after 9 years are about mirror images (in other words, average)....

Give it some time folks, you should understand that the key to success is having the point guards father be the head coach. Never Forget

Question for the OP, when has Iowa EVER been a tier 1 program? This isn’t Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina and probably never will be. If that’s your expectation then you need to root for a different team.

Reality this morning feels pretty good, at least for a day.

Great game, great job Hawkeyes, keep pushing!
Yup. Next game pleese. 50/50 Balls.. Hardest 'D' of year also. Give them a Matt Roth when necessary or Ed Horton. Go Tough Hawk Players. Its a Do-able.

It was a great win and I feel good for the players but the OP is correct. 9 years in and the ceiling certainly has been reached somewhere within those 9 years (certainly a separate debate as to excactly where that is). You aren't going to be average for 9 years and then all of a sudden take a leap. 9 years is more than long enough to establish who you are as a program. If you are happy with 20 win seasons, at or around .500 in conference, occasional big wins, and NCAA tourney berths 50% of the time, then Fran will keep you happy for as long as he is here. But those who want/expect more will be disappointed. 9 years in, the program is what it is.

It was a great win and I feel good for the players but the OP is correct. 9 years in and the ceiling certainly has been reached somewhere within those 9 years (certainly a separate debate as to excactly where that is). You aren't going to be average for 9 years and then all of a sudden take a leap. 9 years is more than long enough to establish who you are as a program. If you are happy with 20 win seasons, at or around .500 in conference, occasional big wins, and NCAA tourney berths 50% of the time, then Fran will keep you happy for as long as he is here. But those who want/expect more will be disappointed. 9 years in, the program is what it is.
9 years in and the program has risin to one who makes the tourney two thirds of the time. There is no reason at all to believe it can't rise more. The program being awful is finally far enough into the review mirror that it is completely irrelevant to recruits. That wasn't the case 5 years ago when Fran was trying to recruit the kids who are upperclassmen now.

Of COURSE the OP is correct, Iowa is NOT a tier 1 basketball program and probably never will be. The expectations SHOULD be 20 win seasons with NCAA berths, if being a tier 1 basketball program is your expectations then find a different team to root for.

9 years in and the program has risin to one who makes the tourney two thirds of the time. There is no reason at all to believe it can't rise more. The program being awful is finally far enough into the review mirror that it is completely irrelevant to recruits. That wasn't the case 5 years ago when Fran was trying to recruit the kids who are upperclassmen now.
That's a really hard concept for people to understand

That's a really hard concept for people to understand
Every single year people talk about the ceiling being hit. It makes no sense at all. Find the right diamond in the rough or the right hometown hero and anything can happen. Hopefully we have both next year with Wieskamp and Joe T.

Every single year people talk about the ceiling being hit. It makes no sense at all. Find the right diamond in the rough or the right hometown hero and anything can happen. Hopefully we have both next year with Wieskamp and Joe T.

After 9 years you have what you have. Fran is a guy who can make the tourney 5 out of 8 years as a 7-12 seed. It is what it is. Kind of like we knew what KF was after 9 years. Capable of being top 10 and winning the B1G 1 out of every 4-5 years, but most years we’re gonna be 8 wins or so.

Sure lightning can strike and Fan could win the B1G, but would you really be willing to bet on that with something of significance? I mean you could have also said the same thing about Lick as well, doesn’t mean it was ever going to actually happen.

I disagree on the bolded above and I dislike Alford with every fiber of my being...but the players Alford brought in were much higher ranked players than what Fran has brought in. And the overall records after 9 years are about mirror images (in other words, average)....
So if Alford's players were better than Fran's, yet the records are the same, that means Fran is the better coach then

Latest posts