winning or losing this game doesn't change reality

I am ok with mediocrity in some things. Cooking for example. I'm a mediocre cook at best and I'm completely fine with it. Also things I have no control over like how a team I'm no part of does. I'm ok with it because I have to be. I don't get a say in how the hawks do because again I'M NOT PART OF THE TEAM.

Even if you take away everything I just said. This isn't even about being ok with mediocre. Its about different opinions about where Fran can take the program. I wanted Davis gone because he was slowly bringing the program in the wrong direction. I think Fran is teetering on the edge of minimum expectations and really good. I think the odds of Fran bringing us to where I want to be is better than the odds of some random coach (especially one that Barta hires) doing it. For some reason people think a basketball coach's career goes in a straight line. It's a rollercoaster that has ups and downs.

I think Garza is going to be a beast in 2 years. I think Wieskamp is going to be a top 5 hawkeye ever. I think Nunge is going to be really good. We just got a 4 star point guard who is moving up in the rankings despite being committed to iowa. That is hard to do so it makes me really optimistic that he's the real deal. He's about to have the most talented team he has ever had. I'm excited for it.

Here's my take on the players

1) Garza - He's proven to have his moments. Very slow footwork though at this point. Players still continue to blow right past him. Still missing some obvious block-out situations.
2) Nunge - For me, jury is still out. I guess what concerns me is this was a McCaffery family acquaintance/friend from Nunge's youth b-ball days. What is his ceiling?
3) Wieskamp - Solid. Very high basketball IQ. Great future.
4) 4 start PG coming - What is the ceiling? Is Fran going to know what to do with him?

1) Garza - He's proven to have his moments. Very slow footwork though at this point. Players still continue to blow right past him. Still missing some obvious block-out situations.
2) Nunge - For me, jury is still out. I guess what concerns me is this was a McCaffery family acquaintance/friend from Nunge's youth b-ball days. What is his ceiling?
4) Troussant - What is the ceiling? Is Fran going to know what to do with him?

Keep in mind Joe W is just a freshmen. This is in response to criticism toward him.

4) 4 start PG coming - What is the ceiling? Is Fran going to know what to do with him?

Sounds about right.

I've never heard that take on Nunge before. I wonder if you're confusing him with Fredrick. Nunge lived in the McCaffery's neighborhood but moved right after Fran moved in. I thought that was the only connection and it was more of a coincidence than a reason for recruitment.

Nunge was runner up Mr. Basketball in Indiana. It's not like Iowa where they were choosing between Connor and a small school kid. He beat out some top 50 kids (or close to it I cant remember for sure) in the voting. He's also bulked up a ton and grown an inch I think since last year. I'm expecting a more athletic but less shooting version of Garza. I'm hoping for an equal overall type player to Garza.

I've never heard that take on Nunge before. I wonder if you're confusing him with Fredrick. Nunge lived in the McCaffery's neighborhood but moved right after Fran moved in. I thought that was the only connection and it was more of a coincidence than a reason for recruitment.

Nunge was runner up Mr. Basketball in Indiana. It's not like Iowa where they were choosing between Connor and a small school kid. He beat out some top 50 kids (or close to it I cant remember for sure) in the voting. He's also bulked up a ton and grown an inch I think since last year. I'm expecting a more athletic but less shooting version of Garza. I'm hoping for an equal overall type player to Garza.

Nope. Referring to Nunge. I think their paths crossed and actually think Connor and Jack were neighborhood friends for a bit, as well as youth ball. Not too long though.

Nope. Referring to Nunge. I think their paths crossed and actually think Connor and Jack were neighborhood friends for a bit, as well as youth ball. Not too long though.

I dont think they even played together. It was a really short period of time. I think Fran found out about it during the recruiting process. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with recruiting him but it's possible I'm wrong on that one.

I dont think they even played together. It was a really short period of time. I think Fran found out about it during the recruiting process. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with recruiting him but it's possible I'm wrong on that one.

Good enough. Yea, I don't think it was very long at all.

As Fran's biggest fan, I couldn't agree more. Have some faith, people.

FxJvk.jpg

:cool:

Garza will never be a dominant Big 10 player . His athleticism won’t allow it. Same with PMac coming in

I respectfully disagree. He is already light years ahead of where Brad Lohaus was as a sophomore and Bead went on to play in the NBA for ten years. Of course there is never a guarantee a player will continue to progress as some will plateau, but I like his size and he has a nearly unstoppable hook shot. Now he defense does need to improve as he does seem a step slow.

If you were around to see how pathetic Brad was as a sophomore you would hold back a little on your judgement of Garza. After Brad’s sophomore season if ANYONE was projecting him into the NBA you would have been laughed off the planet. What is unfortunate with Brad is some of his legal problems he got into later in life.

I respectfully disagree. He is already light years ahead of where Brad Lohaus was as a sophomore and Bead went on to play in the NBA for ten years. Of course there is never a guarantee a player will continue to progress as some will plateau, but I like his size and he has a nearly unstoppable hook shot. Now he defense does need to improve as he does seem a step slow.

If you were around to see how pathetic Brad was as a sophomore you would hold back a little on your judgement of Garza. After Brad’s sophomore season if ANYONE was projecting him into the NBA you would have been laughed off the planet. What is unfortunate with Brad is some of his legal problems he got into later in life.

Garza has better coordination and basketball moves than Lohaus did but Lohaus was more athletic than Garza by far.

Garza has better coordination and basketball moves than Lohaus did but Lohaus was more athletic than Garza by far.

It won’t hurt my feelings if Garza developes more athleticism.

I know out of fan frustrations I express myself openly. I am for keeping all the coaches of all the sports programs as long as they are making improvements that are noticeable and apparent for all to see. What I don’t like is the status quo mindset (alias fat cat) attitude. We see that from one of our major sports. In fairness to Fran there seems to be an uptick in his recruiting. It should not have taken ten years though and will it be enough to justify keeping him and Barta around we shall see. Personally Inam wishing him, his family, the players, and the fans the best of luck. That would mean we are all going to be having fun following the basketball team. Who doesn’t want that?

Some fans are very naive if they think Iowa can not afford to buy Fran out. We have one of the more wealthier universities in the United States. They could buy out ten of Fran’s contracts if they really wanted to. Something else is going on here. Apathy or indifference to the athletics department because the powers that be really don’t care about athletics??? Maybe.

I personally think that in part they don’t want a extremely successful coach to come in here and gain favor of the fans to the point that the powers that be feel that they are subject to the Coach because the fans and public support the coach more than they support the administration.

You have to understand the mindset of administrators and bureaucracy. They try to avoid any kind of resistance or waves against their administration or bureaucracy. I would know as my twenty-eight year profession places me in the middle of a bureaucracy. No one looks forward to retirement more than I do as I will have my freedom of speech back the day after. Until then I will have to watch my P’s and Q’s on here and on other social media.

Go Hawks, become a posssessed team and go on at tear in both tournaments. I would truly love that. I truly love following Iowa regardless of the coaches we have to tolerate. That is the truth.

He made the all freshmen team. Check out the careers of Fran’s other all freshmen players.

Here are the ten toughest games Iowa has played this year

Joe"s results

Oregon at MSG 4 pt 3 rebs 0 assist
UConn at MSG 1 pt 5 reb 1 assist
Wisc 8 pt 8 reb 0 assist
MSU 8 pt 4 reb 1 assist
ISU 10 pt 1 reb 2 assist
Purdue 9 pt 4 reb 0 assist
MSU 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist
Mich 16 pt 7 reb 2 assist
MYD 2 pt 3 reb 0 assist
Wisc 5 pt 3 reb 0 assist

Not a big time player at this point, doesnt measure up against good teams nice kid nice player we will see......see above..mediocre numbers...

Latest posts