winning or losing this game doesn't change reality

After 9 years you have what you have. Fran is a guy who can make the tourney 5 out of 8 years as a 7-12 seed. It is what it is. Kind of like we knew what KF was after 9 years. Capable of being top 10 and winning the B1G 1 out of every 4-5 years, but most years we’re gonna be 8 wins or so.

Sure lightning can strike and Fan could win the B1G, but would you really be willing to bet on that with something of significance? I mean you could have also said the same thing about Lick as well, doesn’t mean it was ever going to actually happen.

I wouldn't bet on it regardless of who the coach is. I think Fran has a "better than your average coach" chance of winning one. He's already come within a couple baskets from one.

I disagree on the bolded above and I dislike Alford with every fiber of my being...but the players Alford brought in were much higher ranked players than what Fran has brought in. And the overall records after 9 years are about mirror images (in other words, average)....

Aw come on, McCaffery inherited a mess while Alford was at least given a full team that I felt under achieved in Alford's first year. Alford did get a few more top 100 recruits his first few seasons (Worley, Pierce, Reiner, and Horner) but his teams sadly under produced. McCaffery had to hustle like hell to get Woodbury and Gesell to come here while Alford got in with his name and his smoke & mirrors of leading Iowa to the land of riches.

Nice try. It’s pretty dumb to misrepresent when it’s so easy for someone to check the data. Based on Kenpom rankings these are the 10 highest ranked...equals toughest...opponents Iowa played.

MSU 8-4-1
MSU 5-3-0
MI 16-7-2
PUR 9-4-0
WI 8-8-0
WI 5-3-0
ISU 7-1-2
MD 2-3-0
PSU 10-7-0
IN 13-2-1

So Joe averaged 27.4 minutes, 8.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, .6 assists and shot 42.8% in our 10 toughest games.

Pay attention because this part will be hard for you to understand. Minutes are important because Joe is arguably our best defensive player...as a true freshman. Not allowing the other team to score is also important. I wish some of the other guys on the team would figure that out.

One final point...Your argument is idiotic. Most of the teams I just listed have one or more NBA players on the court. Joe isn’t an NBA player...yet. So this data is skewed to make Joe look bad. And he still looks good when considering the caliber of the competition.

The reality is that the Iowa basketball program will continue for some time to come to be a second tier program. If McCaffrey survives you can expect much of the same. Really this year might be the ceiling for Iowa under McCaffrey. Clearly he can't recruit. Carton was very wise to not consider Iowa and players of Fosters caliber ain't coming to Iowa. So the level of talent isn't going to be upgraded. McCaffrey I think has pretty much proven not to be a top coach at this level. Maybe with a mid major he does a better job with the level of competition?
If we make a coaching change (and I have been in that camp for awhile) we would have a multiple year building process with no assurance that at the end of it we would be much better. So the bottom line is that the Iowa basketball program has been down for 15 years? and will continue to be down for quite a few to come. Not to say we wont have a few high points and win a few big games but we wont contend for championships and certainly wont make the tournament on a regular basis

I'm not going to get down on the players. They undoubtedly feel worse than the fans. They just aren't that good and they just aren't that well coached. I think Cook should stay for another year and get his diploma. Not sure if any of the others have decisions to make? Maybe Conner should concentrate on baseball. Moss if he has his degree as a redshirt could transfer to Drake. I think he would have a lot of success at that talent level. Weiskamp I guess could consider taking a year off and transferring to Wisconsin. He would really be good in their system but I doubt he will

Oh well I assume we lose in the first round of the Big Ten tournament and drop to a 9 or 10 seed? maybe even 11. Syracuse was an 11 last year and actually won a couple games. That's as good as it gets

Could not agree more. Is this

Latest posts