Willies Status?

I guess the question I have is: Who is making the assumption DW even WANTS back on the team NOW?

He is probably going through the process of his father moving, finding out what is being done for his care, adjusting to school in the face of dealing with it all, etc.

To presume that he is "ready" to get back on the field is...well, presumptuous.

Let's not forget--except for the "hater" brigade--that KF lost his father during a season (2004). In fact, he and Brian missed most of the week leading up to the PSU game to attend to those matters (funeral, etc.). I'm pretty sure if DW said, "Coach, can I show up at practice and take the field in ANY capacity?", the answer would be, "Yes, if you are SURE your father will be okay and if you need to leave, that's fine". And if DW said, "Coach, I know we have a bowl game coming up, but things with my Dad are still in flux, can we talk in January?", the answer would be, "Of course, take all the time you need and you have the support of me, the staff and your teammates".

In Hater Brigade World, it plays out like this: (KF saying/doing the following)
--You let your teammates down, and you talked on social media!
--Who/what is more important, family or football?!
--What's with saying you want to stay without begging me before you make any public statements?!
--"Get into your fatigues, son!"

I just realized that the things you wrote in jest that Kirk said are pretty much exactly what a lot of people on here are actually saying seriously.

Ferentz and his coaching staff have an obligation to these kids on the team that far outweighs just winning and losing games. I know this is hard for many on this board to understand, but these are young 17 and 18 year old boys who are recruited to join the program (or walk on). Most of them are immature and have never been away from their parents. At that point, Ferentz has important obligations to fulfill, in the following order:

1. He must establish an atmosphere where the young man feels wanted and secure.
2. He must motivate the young man to attend all of his classes and do the necessary work in the classroom (a tall task for many of these kids, who oftentimes are mediocre students in high school).
3. Ferentz must make sure that the young man attends practices, do the rigorous weight training, learn the play book, and constantly try to improve.
4. There must be rules and a code, and if the rules are broken, there must be consequences.

In a nutshell, Ferentz and the staff become the surrogate parents for these kids. The goal is to turn them into young men, ready to play Big Ten football, and then, when they graduate, to take on the world as an adult, since very few of them go on to the pros.

Very few of these kids are ready to play at this level out of high school. It is hard, thankless work to get better. In short, the coaches have a stressful job, trying to turn these kids into men.

I think Ferentz does the job very well. Most of Iowa's players graduate. Some of them even play in the NFL, or go on to successful coaching careers at the high school or college level. Others choose professions and become very successful. The overall character of Iowa's players and this coaching staff is very high.

Ferentz is an ethical coach who takes the responsibility seriously. Willes will be back on the team in the spring. He will be a little more mature, and a little more humble. He is going to be a great player at Iowa.

Most people think the definition of common sense is having the same opinion as they do. I think it's common sense that if a player quits to go be with his dying dad, then his dad decides to move to him so he doesn't have to, you let him back on the team no questions asked.

Now like I said earlier, you would think there has to be something else to the story for him not to be let back. The only thing anyone says though is how he told people he was leaving. If it's common sense to punish a kid for how he went about leaving when his dad was dying, then I don't have common sense.

If someone knows that he told Kirk to go F himself or something then please let me know so I can stop defending him.

I have no problem with him leaving the team to be with his dying father. Kudos for that. However, the way he went about leaving is completely lacking common sense. The FIRST thing he should have done is gone to Kirk or at least his position coach to let them know he is leaving the team. Then it would have come out in a press conference from Kirk. THEN he could have taken to social media. Instead, his first step was social media.

I have no problem with him leaving the team to be with his dying father. Kudos for that. However, the way he went about leaving is completely lacking common sense. The FIRST thing he should have done is gone to Kirk or at least his position coach to let them know he is leaving the team. Then it would have come out in a press conference from Kirk. THEN he could have taken to social media. Instead, his first step was social media.

I agree. Social media is just such a big part of people's lives these days. It's amazing how much grown adults even want to run to Facebook as soon as something happens in their lives. Like Bob kinda layed out in his post though, i highly doubt Ferentz holds a grudge about that at all.

I don't think many on this board understand the significance of the 'status of Willies'. Do some posters feel Iowa can succeed if Iowa continues to bag less athletic players? The answer, there, is no. Will higher skilled athletes come to Iowa to be 'better men'? Do get degrees, alone? No. Some of you think so. Will higher skilled athletes come to Iowa and willingly sit on the bench until they exude the KF way? The answer is no. Is Iowa the only team that teaches toughness to its athletes? Why not go to Oklahoma, for example, where toughness and athleticism are taught?

Maybe you feel recruiting is an answer to Iowa's woes? How the Iowa staff treats Willies may be an indicator for future athletic players who consider Iowa.

As far as the 18-22 year old player acting out, I give the youngster more leeway and am more forgiving than the 60-something head coach that acts out.

Heck, I might forgive some of KF's curtness and foibles if he was more successful.

Last edited:
That’s fartball.

I guarantee any top 10 or SEC team whose top priority is winning would’ve handled this differently.

That’s fartball.

I guarantee any top 10 or SEC team whose top priority is winning would’ve handled this differently.

No SEC fanbase would crown a 3* kid whose only other offer was ISU as the savior of their program like Iowa fans have dubbed Willies. Willies as is much a savior as Canzeri turned out to be, or Wadley will become as well......this fan base is becoming as delusional as Clown fans.

No SEC fanbase would crown a 3* kid whose only other offer was ISU as the savior of their program like Iowa fans have dubbed Willies. Willies as is much a savior as Canzeri turned out to be, or Wadley will become as well......this fan base is becoming as delusional as Clown fans.

In fairness to Willies and Wadley, they were crowned for what they've done on the field. Canzeri just had a really cool highlight tape. Also when a guy has more impressive runs in one half than We've seen combined since 2010, it's gunna open some eyes.

Also every fan base gets excited about their up and coming players and hope they become their team's savior. The only difference is the degree of saving they hope for. Top SEC schools hope their next 5 star leads them to a national championship. Iowa fans hope their next skill player that shows ability actually see the field and make us look like a compitant offense. Iowa State fans hope that every player that comes through will be the guy who makes them not suck balls.

Every fan's delusion is relative to where they are as a program. If our fanbase is becoming as delusional as ISU's, that's not a good sign.

Note to guardian. Next time make sure DW has no intention of returning to the program before ranting on social media why he really left. Lets not forget that so much of the hype regarding this situation could have easily been a nonfactor had a certain legal guardian not thrown a coach under the bus.

Not the best idea in the event things end up playing out differently then expected. Not saying KF, would or should care what was stated on social media, but it definitely didn't help how things were perceived by those outside Ft. Kinnick.

Also every fan base gets excited about their up and coming players and hope they become their team's savior. The only difference is the degree of saving they hope for. Top SEC schools hope their next 5 star leads them to a national championship. Iowa fans hope their next skill player that shows ability actually see the field and make us look like a compitant offense. Iowa State fans hope that every player that comes through will be the guy who makes them not suck balls.

Every fan's delusion is relative to where they are as a program. If our fanbase is becoming as delusional as ISU's, that's not a good sign.

I came here to learn something about Willies' situation and have. Thanks. Spell check is your friend, competent.

His recruiting ranking from 3 years ago doesn’t carry much weight now. Our secondary couldn’t cover him in any of the open practices. He helped seal the wins vs UNI and Ball State. Unfortunately for you and Kirk, fans can’t unsee what they saw from Willies.

Latest posts