Willies Status?

Morehouse reported a week ago that KF and Willies have talked since reg season end. KF has open mind and decision will be made after bowl. Go to Gazette

what do you want? He quit.

KF deserves a ton of criticism about many things, but this is not one of them. There is a path for Willies to re join the team, and it sounds like he is on that path. Those crying and complaining about this, or the exact timeline of him rejoining the team have never been in charge of an organization, or a leader of men.

Last edited:
Didn't he cut himself loose because of a father who is dying? If true, I would think that is worthy of consideration when handling this.

would all depend about all the information that we are not privileged to. the communications, the behaviors, etc. you'd think it could have been handled in an entirely different way. if it was 'just about his dad', then the playing time bit wouldn't have ever come into play. i think that was an excuse.

Willies had last year's bowl prep to get plenty of reps with the system. Give those reps this year to kids who stayed on the team. Guys like Derrick Mitchell Jr. and Andre Harris are also talented receivers that have yet to play and will benefit from the bowl practices. Like Willies said himself, he needs to "earn" his spot back on this team.

would all depend about all the information that we are not privileged to. the communications, the behaviors, etc. you'd think it could have been handled in an entirely different way. if it was 'just about his dad', then the playing time bit wouldn't have ever come into play. i think that was an excuse.

What if he was really stuggling with abandoning his team mid season but he decided it wasn't so bad because he doesn't really play anyway? That would help me in that situation. If I was a starting player, it would really hurt the team if I left. If I never play, it really doesn't hurt the team that bad and I could do it easier. In that case, play time was a factor but not how everyone is thinking.

What if he was really stuggling with abandoning his team mid season but he decided it wasn't so bad because he doesn't really play anyway? That would help me in that situation. If I was a starting player, it would really hurt the team if I left. If I never play, it really doesn't hurt the team that bad and I could do it easier. In that case, play time was a factor but not how everyone is thinking.

lotta what ifs here -easy to hypothesize, but without information, not really sure.

wonder if he asked the coach for a 'leave of absence' so he could be with his dying father?

People need to back away from a "silver bullet", "team savior", "one kid who can change everything" mentality. The problems with the Hawks are so much bigger than one player, acting like KF's personal decision on one player is a make-or-break pivotal moment for the future of the team is just wrong. Stop acting like CJ Beathard, Derrick Willies, Akrum Wadley, or the next guy fans obsess over is some kind of game-changer. Last years game changers become next years disappointments, and the problems are so much deeper than personnel.

People need to back away from a "silver bullet", "team savior", "one kid who can change everything" mentality. The problems with the Hawks are so much bigger than one player, acting like KF's personal decision on one player is a make-or-break pivotal moment for the future of the team is just wrong. Stop acting like CJ Beathard, Derrick Willies, Akrum Wadley, or the next guy fans obsess over is some kind of game-changer. Last years game changers become next years disappointments, and the problems are so much deeper than personnel.

Sometimes it seems like KF wants to win, but only if it's convenient for him and only if it's his way. A hungry coach would let Willies back on the team, period, and he would try to help the kid make improvements if necessary. Sooner or later, KF has to join the real world and start making decisions where winning is a top priority. A lot of fans aren't interested in KF's highfalutin decisions anymore.

Didn't he cut himself loose because of a father who is dying? If true, I would think that is worthy of consideration when handling this.

You don't think that this is a major reason why Kirk is even considering meeting with DW to discuss a future with the Hawks? And why didn't DW go to Kirk first with his reasoning instead of going to media first? He painted himself into a corner. Kirk is nice enough to at least build a door.

You don't think that this is a major reason why Kirk is even considering meeting with DW to discuss a future with the Hawks? And why didn't DW go to Kirk first with his reasoning instead of going to media first? He painted himself into a corner. Kirk is nice enough to at least build a door.

well said. thank you.

Why not let him come back for bowl prep and sit him for the game? Willies has been a great student-athlete and is one of your best young players. Why not allow him this valuable practice time?

Why not let him come back for bowl prep and sit him for the game? Willies has been a great student-athlete and is one of your best young players. Why not allow him this valuable practice time?

Simple, Iowa is incredibly short on talent, particularly at the WR position and DW has talent. DW needs a place to play at a position in which Iowa is in dire need of help. Seems to be a match made in heaven. But that would be traveling the path of least resistance. And Iowa doesn't often do this.

Make him earn his spot back on the team. Tell him he can practice but not play in the bowl game, make him run with the scout team, sprints before & after practice, whatever the coaches prefer. But give him a purpose and get him back in the fold, something to invest in.

But as Jon has mentioned many times on his podcasts, the offense seems to make things as hard on themselves as possible. Same thing here. Take the path of most resistance.

This.

He should not rejoin without some consequence, perhaps sitting out the
Bowl game, would be just the ticket. I definitely want to see Derrick W in
Hawkeye Black n Gold next season. Go Hawks !

lotta what ifs here -easy to hypothesize, but without information, not really sure.

wonder if he asked the coach for a 'leave of absence' so he could be with his dying father?

Actually there was only one what if. :) I'm just trying to make sense of why a player would complain about playtime when he's supposedly injured. That would be like Cooper transfering and saying the reason was because he didn't play last year.

The only way he shouldn't be let back on the team with open arms is if he told Kirk to F off on the way out. Anyone who truely thinks it's wrong to leave your team halfway through the year because your dad is dying halfway across the country is an unbelievable dick.

If his dying father is truly the only reason he left, Kirk "considering" letting him back does not make him a nice guy. Anything other than "glad you're back buddy" makes you a jerk in that situation. That said, I would assume there has to be something else to the story because I just don't believe someone could possibly be that un understanding.

One guy can easily change a team. If we had Gordon this year we would have been WAY better off. We don't have a Gordon obviously but in your post you said "one guy" then listed 3. When we have almost no big plays all year and your big play quarterback, big play runningback, and one of your 2 big play receivers don't play, how can people think it had no affect on the offense?

So the harm in letting our most talented freshmen WR practice with the team is what, again? What crime did he commit? Could it not benefit our team down the road to get a guy who could be our go to receiver for 3 years run routes an perfect his form? It's a no-brainer if you are a normal coach and not a control freak who would rather lose his way than win by compromise.

So the harm in letting our most talented freshmen WR practice with the team is what, again? What crime did he commit? Could it not benefit our team down the road to get a guy who could be our go to receiver for 3 years run routes an perfect his form? It's a no-brainer if you are a normal coach and not a control freak who would rather lose his way than win by compromise.

Have you ever been in a position of leadership ever? Sorry, stupid question, cause your whole attitude screams that you never have been. There is nothing wrong with treating different people differently, but what is UNIVERSAL is there are consequences to your decisions and actions. It is pretty clear that Willies will be back with the team, but the consequences to his decisions is he won't be allowed back on the team this year.

It is crazy the amount of stupid that this fan base is now displaying. I'm with ya on the whole time for KF to go. What I can't do, is join the idiot brigade that is hating on every decision he makes, just because I want him gone. KF knows when to cut bait, and when to cut slack. He cut bait with the bad apples when he was given no choice (DJK, Robinson, Douglas, and others).....and he stuck with players who just made a mistake (Clayborn, many players with run ins with the law). All signs point to KF sticking with Willies as well....

If his dying father is truly the only reason he left, Kirk "considering" letting him back does not make him a nice guy. Anything other than "glad you're back buddy" makes you a jerk in that situation. That said, I would assume there has to be something else to the story because I just don't believe someone could possibly be that un understanding.

You give the guy the "glad you're back buddy" when he requests a leave of absence to tend to family business. You give the guy the "we'll have a talk later" when he posts on social media that he is leaving the team, without going through the proper channels. I would also add that his choice to return was also broadcast on social media; rather than going through the proper channels… Again.

You give the guy the "glad you're back buddy" when he requests a leave of absence to tend to family business. You give the guy the "we'll have a talk later" when he posts on social media that he is leaving the team, without going through the proper channels. I would also add that his choice to return was also broadcast on social media; rather than going through the proper channels… Again.

Did he for sure not tell Kirk he was leaving the team? I can't remember how that went down.

Latest posts