Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, if I wasn't clear all the other times I've asked, keep the discussion on the virus and how it's impacting the return of sports. I just had to delete a couple of posts because people are straying.

What they should be doing right now is a plan for a 16 team playoff whenever we get to resume and not wait until 2025 or whatever. and sell the heck of those tv rights. times have changed and they need $, so let's get money. We invoke broken arrow to get out of existing deals.

With 16 teams you are guaranteed to have teams from all across the US of A. Everyone would be all in. At least would garner a Cheetos sponsorship.

Last edited:
I have heard 2nd hand the Iowa coaches are not real optimistic about getting a fall season in. Not earth shattering news there I know. I think the best chance is starting something in March. It would likely be shortened and obviously no bowls. Maybe they just let Barta pick the national champ since he is chairman of the committee.

I have heard 2nd hand the Iowa coaches are not real optimistic about getting a fall season in. Not earth shattering news there I know. I think the best chance is starting something in March. It would likely be shortened and obviously no bowls. Maybe they just let Barta pick the national champ since he is chairman of the committee.
If I'm a scholarship player who gets a lot of PT I'd almost be in favor of forgoing the season rather than a shortened version. Save that year of eligibility for a full schedule.

If I'm a scholarship player who gets a lot of PT I'd almost be in favor of forgoing the season rather than a shortened version. Save that year of eligibility for a full schedule.

The guys who are already guaranteed to be high draft picks next year are probably thinking "Please no season, please no season..." If I'm Trevor Lawrence and I know I'm going #1 overall, I'm content with no season. I have to think our tackle, Jackson, will be a first rounder as well. Dudes like that are totally fine without a season.

The guys who are already guaranteed to be high draft picks next year are probably thinking "Please no season, please no season..." If I'm Trevor Lawrence and I know I'm going #1 overall, I'm content with no season. I have to think our tackle, Jackson, will be a first rounder as well. Dudes like that are totally fine without a season.
If the NFL had a season I'd be ok with that as a player, but if they cancel I don't think I'd want that scenario. If there's no NFL ball all of a sudden you have two sets of high rounders coming into the league next year and teams would probably not be so quick to take guys.

Like I wouldn't want to be a high round QB or LB or whatever if I knew that teams were full of previous high rounders that hadn't weeded themselves out yet.

There's just too many angles to this whole thing.

Last edited:
If the NFL had a season I'd be ok with that as a player, but if they cancel I don't think I'd want that scenario. If there's no NFL ball all of a sudden you have two sets of high rounders coming into the league next year and teams would probably not be so quick to take guys.

Like I wouldn't want to be a high round QB or LB or whatever if I knew that teams were full of high rounders that hadn't weeded themselves out yet.

There's just too many angles to this whole thing.

If there is no college and no NFL, I think they'd probably just do a supplemental draft rather than a whole draft, and that would probably force almost everyone back into college for another year. In a supplemental draft, there'd be a good chance that there would only be 3 guys taken in the first round. Pryor from OSU is the last big name I recall in the supplemental draft and he was lucky to go in the 3rd round.

EDIT - last guy to go in round 1 of a supplemental draft was in 1992. Trevor Lawrence would obviously go in round 1, but he might fall a bit. Outside of him, I'm not sure how many guys would go in round 1.

Read it and seems like a story about nothing. Jamie just wanted a little press. People should jump on his twitter and tell him he is endangering the lives of children.

The ISU story is misleading and is an example of what I was talking about in my column today. And I blame USA Today for misleading readers with the headline. Media outlets should be more responsible as well.

From this story:

The idea was to have 15 athletes across a variety of sports, all of whom are working through post-surgical rehabilitation, resume visits to the Cyclones’ usual sports medicine clinic so the staff could work with them one-on-one and see how new protection, disinfection and distancing procedures impact clinic capacity and operations.

Coberley said the early results have been encouraging, although he and the staff confirmed what they had been expecting: That it will be impossible to bring all members of the football team back to campus at once, never mind bringing back all athletes in fall sports at the same time.

The ISU story is misleading and is an example of what I was talking about in my column today. And I blame USA Today for misleading readers with the headline. Media outlets should be more responsible as well.

From this story:

The idea was to have 15 athletes across a variety of sports, all of whom are working through post-surgical rehabilitation, resume visits to the Cyclones’ usual sports medicine clinic so the staff could work with them one-on-one and see how new protection, disinfection and distancing procedures impact clinic capacity and operations.

Coberley said the early results have been encouraging, although he and the staff confirmed what they had been expecting: That it will be impossible to bring all members of the football team back to campus at once, never mind bringing back all athletes in fall sports at the same time.

That was actually the point of posting the article ... maybe it should have been posted in the thread about mixed messages ... and the fact that it came from Pollard himself posting it on Twitter was the cherry on top. :)

That was actually the point of posting the article ... maybe it should have been posted in the thread about mixed messages ... and the fact that it came from Pollard himself posting it on Twitter was the cherry on top. :)

I know I'm exposed to him more than other U presidents and ADs around the country because I live in Iowa, but he seems to be a repeat offender of the mixed messages and throwing crap at the wall that's driving me nuts. He can't help himself. He has a big mouth and craves attention.

I know I'm exposed to him more than other U presidents and ADs around the country because I live in Iowa, but he seems to be a repeat offender of the mixed messages and throwing crap at the wall that's driving me nuts. He can't help himself. He has a big mouth and craves attention.

There are a lot of folks out there who have jobs that I would characterize as "riding on a gravy train with biscuit wheels." They are guys like GarBar, JPoll, etc. Gladhanding rich folks, watching sports, etc. It's a tough life. Those people are still at the phase where Japan was with the Olympics like the second week of March. "It can't just be cancelled." They are still somewhere around the denial phase, while some of us have moved on and are more in the bargaining or depression phase.

There are a lot of folks out there who have jobs that I would characterize as "riding on a gravy train with biscuit wheels." They are guys like GarBar, JPoll, etc. Gladhanding rich folks, watching sports, etc. It's a tough life. Those people are still at the phase where Japan was with the Olympics like the second week of March. "It can't just be cancelled." They are still somewhere around the denial phase, while some of us have moved on and are more in the bargaining or depression phase.

Wherever the "fucking angry" phase is on the spectrum, that's where I'm at....

Make no mistake, JP cut his teeth under Barry, who might be the biggest "everyone, over here, look at me" AD in the history of ADs....so it stands to reason that JP has managed to follow in those footsteps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts