Will Proctor And Nwankpa Be Here Next Year?

His heart was never in Iowa.

He was asked multiple times over the course of the past 2 years if he grew up wanting to play for Iowa and he said no. He didn't have a football team that he was a fan of. His mom was never sold on Iowa.

Dude was never gonna come here and we'll be fine. It's not like all of a sudden Proctor was going to add 3 wins to our schedule.
Yeah I don't have a clue what his folks do for a living but there's gonna be some nutjobs that give them a hard time over this I'm sure. Collateral damage to decisions of this sort. If you're going to make such a spectacle of yourself and then treat others this way I wouldn't say you should expect some backlash to it but yeah I suppose those that do it probably do. Those that were lied to and on the inside hurt the most won't be the ones doing the backlashing however.

I dunno I'm getting a tad ahead of ourselves here. Let's see how it plays out he himself hadn't announced or done anything yet. How he handles all this will be almost as interesting as the reactions to it

His family was finally sold on the fact that leaving home was OK, which is what/who they've been working on for the last 6 months.

He spent a lot of the trip with the OL coach and he broke down for him exactly how he is the perfect fit for their scheme and how comparable he is with the ones that were high draft picks.

He sold him on the opportunity there is for him to come in and contribute right away.

They convinced him that it's a head vs. heart matter and that he should go with what he knows is right.

The $3 mill per year has nothing to do with his decision.

His family was finally sold on the fact that leaving home was OK, which is what/who they've been working on for the last 6 months.

He spent a lot of the trip with the OL coach and he broke down for him exactly how he is the perfect fit for their scheme and how comparable he is with the ones that were high draft picks.

He sold him on the opportunity there is for him to come in and contribute right away.

They convinced him that it's a head vs. heart matter and that he should go with what he knows is right.

The $3 mill per year has nothing to do with his decision.
Iowa can go tit for tat with all that. Hell there's a good chance Saban won't be there in 2 or 3 yrs. His Oline coach has only been there a yr and was at Uk before that. Bill Obrien is their OC which I find to be a bit interesting. Since he's close with the Ferentzs and all. BF used to work under him at NE. How their next conversation goes would be fun to hear too.

By the family being sold do you mean on just him leaving or are all of them going to move down there too?

Can't blame him, it's his decision to make. I believe Iowa lost out on another 4-star OL though after Proctor verbaled which kinda sucks.

He was asked multiple times over the course of the past 2 years if he grew up wanting to play for Iowa and he said no. He didn't have a football team that he was a fan of. His mom was never sold on Iowa.

Dude was never gonna come here and we'll be fine. It's not like all of a sudden Proctor was going to add 3 wins to our schedule.

I agree one guy isn't going to make that unit successful or one guy isn't going to win games for Iowa. Iowa has to have the entire unit of developed 3 and 4 stars play well.

I think playing relatively close to his home prob played a part into their initial commitment to Iowa. I could see he family being able to go to the games easily. But, NIL is trumping that recruiting card now.

Ah shucks Wally! Oh well.

Yeah I don't have a clue what his folks do for a living but there's gonna be some nutjobs that give them a hard time over this I'm sure. Collateral damage to decisions of this sort. If you're going to make such a spectacle of yourself and then treat others this way I wouldn't say you should expect some backlash to it but yeah I suppose those that do it probably do. Those that were lied to and on the inside hurt the most won't be the ones doing the backlashing however.

I dunno I'm getting a tad ahead of ourselves here. Let's see how it plays out he himself hadn't announced or done anything yet. How he handles all this will be almost as interesting as the reactions to it

This is nothing new to college football and I doubt his parents are going to catch much flack from this in the long run. There isn't going to be any backlash. He or his parents never signed on the line.

so why did he verbally commit?

Iowa can go tit for tat with all that. Hell there's a good chance Saban won't be there in 2 or 3 yrs. His Oline coach has only been there a yr and was at Uk before that. Bill Obrien is their OC which I find to be a bit interesting. Since he's close with the Ferentzs and all. BF used to work under him at NE. How their next conversation goes would be fun to hear too.

By the family being sold do you mean on just him leaving or are all of them going to move down there too?

Boy, that is a whole other angle that I never thought of with NIL. With the $$$$ that reportedly being mentioned with athletes, I bet families can pick up and move if they want. The $$$$ amounts are getting to that level. Ya move the family down there and in 5 years the player is getting an NFL contract so the athlete and family are all set and worked as slick as shit.

Oh boy.

Boy, that is a whole other angle that I never thought of with NIL. With the $$$$ that reportedly being mentioned with athletes, I bet families can pick up and move if they want. The $$$$ amounts are getting to that level. Ya move the family down there and in 5 years the player is getting an NFL contract so the athlete and family are all set and worked as slick as shit.

Oh boy.
Oh yeah remember the Reggie Bush fiasco? His family got a fancy ass condo as a part of his under the table recruitment back in the day. To think with todays NIL that they couldn't do something similar wouldn't be surprising at all. It's crazy just how accurate that movie Blue Chips was. Not a ton of fiction in that.

so why did he verbally commit?
There's pressure of sorts. Local kid yadda yadda. Get your chair held for ya just incase. The reasons for the kid to do it make sense. It's just a one sided thing where verbally it means jack squat. Schools can play same game if they want.

Remember years ago when Iowa was recruiting 3 QBs at once and I think they all said yes. I'm trying to remember how that played out but I'm pretty sure Iowa yanked one of their offers as the season went on because they had a shitty senior yr and they just were never taking 3 qbs in one class. But Iowa strung the kid along just because they could and pulled the rug. So there's not much in terms of 'doing the right thing' in this industry by any means.

Oh yeah remember the Reggie Bush fiasco? His family got a fancy ass condo as a part of his under the table recruitment back in the day. To think with todays NIL that they couldn't do something similar wouldn't be surprising at all. It's crazy just how accurate that movie Blue Chips was. Not a ton of fiction in that.

Yep, that made me think of the Reggie Bush deal but today it would be accepted. Wild.

It sounds like just him being away from home. It was from a mod's post on a 'bama site.

Dude was never gonna come here
and we'll be fine. It's not like all of a sudden Proctor was going to add 3 wins to our schedule.
Opinions are not facts but I'm open to links besides social chatter and other's opinions. We all have our takes on reading the tea leaves. By the way, neither of us know what's in his heart.

Opinions are not facts but I'm open to links besides social chatter and other's opinions. We all have our takes on reading the tea leaves. By the way, neither of us know what's in his heart.
There's much more out there to support him not being invested in Iowa than in his heart not being here.

There's much more out there to support him not being invested in Iowa than in his heart not being here.
Don't necessarily disagree ........ actions taken as of late with trips to Oregon and Alabama in the 8th and 9th innings of the process would highlight that. Understand there have been other signs tossed about prior as well.

Wouldn’t it make sense for Iowa to never offer 5 star guys? Even if they verbal they’ll almost never sign.

I'll cheer for 'Bama because I like Nick but committing to Alabama right now is about as dumb as buying JDSUniphase stock in 1999. When the SEC went to divisions the SEC East was king shit except for that first year when Stallings had that insane class of seniors at Bama. The current SEC West is, IMHO, going to turn into dogshit along with Clemson once NIL gets a few years to play out. Tennessee, Georgia and Florida are just gonna out-population everyone else. Texas maybe as well if they get their coach figured out.

Anyone who trusts any numbers thrown out from boosters and places ANY value in future payments beyond cash on the barrel delivered on signing date is an idiot. Their contracts are gonna be loaded with outs and incentives and shit. Imagine playing injured to hit an incentive and then aggravating it worse and ruining your pro career. That is absolutely going to happen to some kids. And these entities throwing out the numbers are not long standing legal entities with deep pockets. Say you run some collective. Say some kid isn't performing. Say Tony Gambini promised you $5 million a year for the collective and he's pissed the team went 9-3. Say Tony Gambini tells the collective to eat a bag of dicks, he's out. Say he gets whacked. Whatever. There's no fucking way there's an airtight contractual obligation from a credit worthy counterparty backing up any of this shit. "Some of it, you learn the hard way..."

Latest posts