Why the Iowa game means more to ISU fans...and will stay that way

This is annoying to me. For the same reason that he loses to teams like CMU, NIU, WMU, and then UM, IU, NU over the years. My guess is there are about 15 games over his time that he "should" have won, but lost. I don't think there are a like number of games that he "should" have lost, but won.

Not even close. Everything you said to 100% accurate.

Losers. Both of you. If you honestly think our athletes aren't emotionally ready to play you are idiots. Flat out delusional idiots. These young men work their ***** off all year to play football. They are jacked up and ready to play all 12 games. Go tell James Morris he's not emotionally ready to play.

And to answer your first question Hawkfnntn.....they are fired up each game. Just because we may lose some games that you didn't think we should lose doesn't mean they weren't fired up.

(Cough) 11/27/10 (Cough) Minnesota (Cough)

You are a major tewl.

Dan McCarney hasn't coached the Clowns in 7 years! Our problem with losing to them the last 2 years is lack of talent and our coaching has been dog ****. Has nothing to do with being emotionally ready to play.

You're not very bright are you? There hasn't been one year Iowa St. has put more guys in the NFL than Iowa.

As an ISU fan I will have to admit that this win is somewhat bigger for ISU than it is for Iowa but nothing like it was in the past. The same thing can be said for the Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin rivals with Iowa. Iowa sees these three as big rivals but NU and Wisconsin have their sites a lot higher. Minnesota seems like a good rival for Iowa but Wisconsin seems more important to them.

Am I wrong about MN, NU, and Wisconsin?

4251082760_672668c173_o.png

The 'Clones threw gas on the fire back in '77. They have tried to do that nearly every year since.

Also the premise of this thread leads one to believe that ISU fans actually believe in facts and statistics. In most of their heads they believe they are a national power.

Rhoads and Pollard have them convinced. Fun fact: Paul Rhoads is one of two head coaches getting paid 2 million or more a year that has a career record below .500. The other one is whomever is coaching Duke.

Bonus fact: Rhoads' team give up 30 or more points 45% of the time.

As an ISU fan I will have to admit that this win is somewhat bigger for ISU than it is for Iowa but nothing like it was in the past. The same thing can be said for the Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin rivals with Iowa. Iowa sees these three as big rivals but NU and Wisconsin have their sites a lot higher. Minnesota seems like a good rival for Iowa but Wisconsin seems more important to them.

No, you're right on about Wisconsin and Minnesota. Those two fanbases truly hate each other, and it not just in football. Basketball, hockey, Vikings/Packers, which state has more lakes (Wisconsin), better beer (Wisconsin), cheese (Wisconsin), etc.

The State of Minnesota has one redeeming quality, and that's no state sales tax. Maybe IKEA.

Agree Jon. One of the things that annoy me about KirK is his "business as usual, every game is the same" mentality approach he takes. He doesn't get fired up for games or overlook others. He treats Iowa State game just like he does against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Western Michigan, or Missouri State. Fry didn't, he got the troops fired up for ISU. Same as McCarney and Rhoads do against Iowa. Team is a product of their coach. Hence why Kirk is 6-8 against ISU.

Ding Ding Ding you are correct sir. And better yet this year more than any Kirk NEEDS to treat EVERY game likes it's the Super Bowl and so does his coaching staff. Get off your collective aRses and make some freaking noise.

i don't know one cyclone fan that thinks ISU is even close to being a national power. Do iowa fans thinks they are a national power?

i don't know one cyclone fan that thinks ISU is even close to being a national power. Do iowa fans thinks they are a national power?

Yeah I'd like some solid proof of anyone thinking ISU is close to being a national power.

^^ Apparently these guys have never read CF. The season predictions was full of talking down about teams that have achieved more than ISU. My god one top 5 upset and they still talk about it like it was yesterday.

You're not very bright are you? There hasn't been one year Iowa St. has put more guys in the NFL than Iowa.

Are you a ******* idiot? Serious question.

I said 2 posts below that we have more talent than Iowa State. Learn to read. But you are blind as hell if you don't see that our talent is a shell of what it use to be. The gap is narrowing. How many guys from last year where drafted?

Good reasonable post. I would say we are generally on level with Wisconsin, ahead of Minnesota, and behind Nebraska. I'm ignoring extremely ancient history with Minnesota when they were an actual national power, and extremely recent history where Wisconsin has been better than us.

Nick Saben was just being interviewed on ESPN, and he said they won't beat A&M because of emotion. He said they will need to stay calm and focused to perform on the field.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9661213&categoryid=2378529

Doesn't Saben know that the more "emotional" team wins? This message board says it is so, how can Saben a NC coach NOT know this?
Plus talking about player execution?? I mean really? A&M is good because they execute NOT because they go fast??? This dude is a dinosaur, and should be put to pasture with KF......

Last edited:
Exactly the way I see it. ISU consistently outplays Iowa (meaning more effort and heart) every year and it will remain so until KF stops taking the "just another game on the schedule" approach, and starts treating this game like a rivalry. In years where Iowa has had clearly superior teams (2003, 2004, 2009, 2010), it is enough to win the game regardless, particularly in Kinnick. When the teams are closer in talent, and especially in Jack Trice, getting outplayed equals defeat.

This is a great example right here. Iowa won all those games those 4 years, and did so convincingly. Although I can't recall the score of the 2004 game.

Iowa wasn't all that good in 2006, and was still trying to find themselves early in 2008 in those wins at Kinnick. The Hawks rode home field advantage to pull away late and win both games by double digits. Those were also against bad ISU teams in 06/08.

^^ Apparently these guys have never read CF. The season predictions was full of talking down about teams that have achieved more than ISU. My god one top 5 upset and they still talk about it like it was yesterday.

Actually, I've looked at the "2013 Football Record Prediction" thread and nearly everyone had 5 to 6 wins. I have a feeling that you're feeling a little butt hurt because a lot of them predicted an Iowa win, which was based on what happened last year to Iowa at the end of the season. I also have a feeling that you think Iowa is one of those teams that achieved more than ISU.

HOW DARE ISU PREDICT 5 WINS!!!! THOSE COCKY A HOLES!!!

Actually, I've looked at the "2013 Football Record Prediction" thread and nearly everyone had 5 to 6 wins. I have a feeling that you're feeling a little butt hurt because a lot of them predicted an Iowa win, which was based on what happened last year to Iowa at the end of the season. I also have a feeling that you think Iowa is one of those teams that achieved more than ISU.

HOW DARE ISU PREDICT 5 WINS!!!! THOSE COCKY A HOLES!!!

i guess this depends on whether you mean Iowa "achieved more" last year ... Or have achieved more than ISU in recent memory/history. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Latest posts