Why is Woodbury starting?

scullydirt

Basabe clearly deserves to be starting in the post. He works harder than Woodbury, he's stronger, more confident, and doesn't get down on himself.

Basabe clearly deserves to be starting in the post. He works harder than Woodbury, he's stronger, more confident, and doesn't get down on himself.

Did you not see the mugging I got in the game thread for such a comment? Glutten for punishment?

Mel brings more offense off the bench which Iowa needs bad, I'm ok with starting the frosh and letting him get some minutes. Mel gets a lot of minutes anyway and he was a man tonight. Iowa plays so much better when they are scoring in the post, it's when the 3's start flying Iowa has stunk. When White and Gessell hit them two mid range jumpers I thought things picked up also.

Did someone just say Mel doesn't get down on himself? Must not have watched last year. I would say Mel and Woody have had pretty equal production over the whole year.

Woody starts because he give a defensive prescence, can score and rebound at times. Mel does the same thing and brings a bounce off the bench.

Thank fully Mel has bought in to coming off the bench, Woody would not be the same coming off the bench.

If Woody doesn't perform Fran will bench him.. for Mel or Gabe. Fran coaches to win and will adjust his starting line-ups and rotation as needed.

Mel will play more minutes when the matchup and his energy level dictates he should. Bruiser bigs like MSU has are going to be tough on the youngster.

Basabe is not tough enough. woodbury is not tough enough. Oleseni can't play defense. Soooooo, McCabe is you big man. Now you get the problem. No Cole, no cartright, no Gatens, no leader.

Basabe is not tough enough. woodbury is not tough enough. Oleseni can't play defense. Soooooo, McCabe is you big man. Now you get the problem. No Cole, no cartright, no Gatens, no leader.

Mel, Woody and Gabe are waaaaay tougher than you. These 3 kids work hard every day at getting better and tougher than you.

We all loved Jaryd Cole and BC and Gater... but they are long gone. Nothing to do with 2013 Hawks...

Hawk team we will enjoy watching and rooting for into March Madness.

Mel, Woody and Gabe are waaaaay tougher than you. These 3 kids work hard every day at getting better and tougher than you.

We all loved Jaryd Cole and BC and Gater... but they are long gone. Nothing to do with 2013 Hawks...

Hawk team we will enjoy watching and rooting for into March Madness.

Whoa, big fella. Tough in terms of final four NCAA BB. Not a personal attack or bar fight. However, I will bet $5,000 on Eddie Horton, Greg Brunner and Doug Thomas against any of them

I just don't understand why you would say "Final four tough" in reference to players who weren't on Final Four basketball teams.

Especially when the 1980 team made the final four despite Ronnie Lester having a soft and ***** like knee, no beard and probably couldn't grow hair on his balls either.

I am saying to get to Final Four, not that we have been there. Loved the 1970 team, the 1980 team and the 1983 team and the 86-88 teams. Also, love so many of the players along the way since. Yet, we are simply not there now. Men against boys. Cole was a man. Gatens was a man. Cartwright was tough. Don't have it now and we need to recruit it.

Still think I am a troll?

Because he's going to be really good in a couple of years. Fran has a long term vision, he's not just worried about this year.

Woodbury isn't going to get quicker by much. He is very deliberate except for when he passes to the perimeter. Only we can't hit 3's and other teams are catching on. Against most B1G top 2/3 teams he can't do much with the ball. The rebounds are from being tall and he takes space. He doesn't clear out and make space. He shows some quickness on the perimeter passes. Until he can do things more quickly, he will not get more playing time.

Because it is a quickness thing, I wouldn't be real sure he will get wads better. For sure help more, but maybe not the big that is needed. He's not even being considered as being on the all Freshman team. Reality is reality. Will be interesting to see what his competitiveness is as that will be the drive to get better. Not benching, not screaming by the coach, but a strive to get better. To early to tell.

Whoa, big fella. Tough in terms of final four NCAA BB. Not a personal attack or bar fight. However, I will bet $5,000 on Eddie Horton, Greg Brunner and Doug Thomas against any of them
Whoaa now.... Eddie was the man but I'll still take Woody, Mel and Gabe in a bar fight... Woody, Mel and Gabe are still too young and powerful and quick to take out Eddie, Greg and Doug.

At the same time imagine peace and happiness.. and the HAWKEYES win out.

Because he's going to be really good in a couple of years. Fran has a long term vision, he's not just worried about this year.

Look, I respect Fran and kirk. But they are getting a pass. look around the country. Freshman play a lot and play "well". Get over it. Players go pro after 1-2 years. Where did Iowa get a pass to say "long Term". Ferentz has had 14 years. Good BB players play long and hard as "Freshman" believe it or not. Do your research. How high you raising the bar, Northwestern Fan.

Latest posts