Why is Woodbury starting?

Woodbury isn't going to get quicker by much. He is very deliberate except for when he passes to the perimeter. Only we can't hit 3's and other teams are catching on. Against most B1G top 2/3 teams he can't do much with the ball. The rebounds are from being tall and he takes space. He doesn't clear out and make space. He shows some quickness on the perimeter passes. Until he can do things more quickly, he will not get more playing time.

Because it is a quickness thing, I wouldn't be real sure he will get wads better. For sure help more, but maybe not the big that is needed. He's not even being considered as being on the all Freshman team. Reality is reality. Will be interesting to see what his competitiveness is as that will be the drive to get better. Not benching, not screaming by the coach, but a strive to get better. To early to tell.

Rebounds are rebounds. I don't see why it matters much if he gets them from being tall or from positioning or whatever.

Look, I respect Fran and kirk. But they are getting a pass. look around the country. Freshman play a lot and play "well". Get over it. Players go pro after 1-2 years. Where did Iowa get a pass to say "long Term". Ferentz has had 14 years. Good BB players play long and hard as "Freshman" believe it or not. Do your research. How high you raising the bar, Northwestern Fan.

Look at freshman 7 footers. Look up the freshman stats for Meyers Leonard, Roy Hibbert, Fab Melo. All NBA players, take a look at their stats as freshman and then you will realize you don't have a ******* clue about what you're talking about.

Whoaa now.... Eddie was the man but I'll still take Woody, Mel and Gabe in a bar fight... Woody, Mel and Gabe are still too young and powerful and quick to take out Eddie, Greg and Doug.

At the same time imagine peace and happiness.. and the HAWKEYES win out.

Hey, I appreciate your support of the team. But, seriously, its a different feeling watching this team get pushed around.

Look at freshman 7 footers. Look up the freshman stats for Meyers Leonard, Roy Hibbert, Fab Melo. All NBA players, take a look at their stats as freshman and then you will realize you don't have a ******* clue about what you're talking about.

ThatsBull and I don't have the time. You are probably one of the people that think Marble goes pro after 3. Woodbury has no offensiive game other than a ball bouncing off his head into the rim. he takes up space on defense. he may be a pro like the No Dak kid and earl. Project at best. Tell me how 6 guys at Kentucky go pro as frosh / soph. Excuses.

I would say looking at the start of games we have played really well. We hung with two top 5 teams and had a top 25 team down by 12. And im not sure Woody saw the floor in the final eight minutes tonight.

But i get it.... we lost so we gotta find something to ***** about.

ThatsBull and I don't have the time. You are probably one of the people that think Marble goes pro after 3. Woodbury has no offensiive game other than a ball bouncing off his head into the rim. he takes up space on defense. he may be a pro like the No Dak kid and earl. Project at best. Tell me how 6 guys at Kentucky go pro as frosh / soph. Excuses.

Why are you bringing up Marble, we're talking about Woodbury. Woodbury has had a real nice touch for a freshman, he's way ahead of where Hibbert was as freshman but like I said you have no idea about what the **** you're talking about so, I think we're done here.

Take a look at the stats of who ML had playing ahead of him.

I believe Woody is still adjusting to finishing after contact and may have been hurt a bit by the softer non-conference schedule where the Hawks seemed to get bailed out by the officials on the slightest bit of contact. It's not just him though as I believe White and Marble are expecting the foul to be called and have even altered their shots trying to make the circus shot for the "and 1" which misses and nothing is called.

Not sure why Basabe left the court last night. I would have kept him out there until he was gasping for air our fouled out. He looked light on his feet, confident with his shot and played with an attitude. Should have fed the dude incessantly to get MSU in foul trouble, open up shots for shooters (ok, maybe not a good idea) and keep MSU's bigs from flying around blocking and influencing shots. FM seems addicted to letting Oglesby fire up 3 pointers, but not so much to feeding the post when it is working for us.

For what it's worth Fran broke his Golden Rule: for the first time in his 3 years here he played a player with 2 fouls in the 1st half. My jaw dropped when Mel came back in the game with 5 minutes left.

"Woodbury has no offensiive game other than a ball bouncing off his head into the rim. he takes up space on defense. he may be a pro like the No Dak kid and earl. Project at best. Tell me how 6 guys at Kentucky go pro as frosh / soph. Excuses."

This person is a living functioning human. Amazing.

1. Woody has some nice post moves- including a baby hook, and a decent face up shot, he just isn't strong enough to finish all of the time. But it's not the same thing as having no offensive game, that would be closer to Gabe, who has little game but is long on athleticism.

2. Kentucky won a national championship because they had the best players in the nation. That's like wondering out loud why Patrick Ingram doesn't play like an 18 year old Lebron James. LEBRON JAMES WAS IN THE NBA AT HIS AGE, NO EXCUSES!@!@!@!@!

IMHO...Woodbury should have went in there and hacked Payne or Nix Hard!!!! Break an arm hard. Show that he has some stones. MSU knew that Woody is a Freshman, a bit soft and they pushed him around. I don't care if it would have resulted in a flagrant foul or even a T but he needs to show some sort of a mean streak or he is going to get shoved all year. Thats the way MSU plays and I dont think Fran prepared well. That being said, we are still just in the developmental stage. Plenty of good days ahead. GO HAWKS

Last edited:
IMHO...Woodbury should have went in there and hacked Payne or Nix Hard!!!! Break an arm hard. Show that he has some stones. MSU knew that Woody is a Freshman, a bit soft and they pushed him around. I don't care if it would have resulted in a flagrant foul or even a T but he needs to show some sort of a mean streak or he is going to get shoved all year. Thats the way MSU plays and I dont think Fran prepared well. That being said, we are still just in the developmental stage. Plenty of good days ahead. GO HAWKS

What the **** games do you watch? I've been impressed all year with how willing Woodbury is to bang with other big guys. He hasn't backed down from anyone yet. He was going right at it with Nix last night. I can't wait to see how good Woodbury will be as an upperclassmen.

Woody starts because he give a defensive prescence, can score and rebound at times. Mel does the same thing and brings a bounce off the bench.

Thank fully Mel has bought in to coming off the bench, Woody would not be the same coming off the bench.

If Woody doesn't perform Fran will bench him.. for Mel or Gabe. Fran coaches to win and will adjust his starting line-ups and rotation as needed.

This is precisely correct. Well said.

Latest posts